Best Watch for Android?

never_here

TLDR: I NEED A NEW PEBBLE MADE FOR ANDROID 14 and above.  in this case, a new watch.

I have a pebble.  But it doesn't work with android 14 to well, as i have an updated S23.  

I do need a smart watch though, as that is what i need, but i dont need all the fitness crap.  Fit bits are nice, but, its more fitness tracker than watch. 

Ideally, i need a pebble that works.  Fancier in general.  Fossil & Garmin puts out some nice stuff in general, but Fossil just announced recently they will end their smart watch line, so... worried what will happen with the Fossil Hybrids, as that is something i like.  As well as, Garmin Instinct is something i like, but its also way to bulky, but fitness and sport built.  I just want a watch, with vibration motors, that can set alarms, timers, calendar, and receive notifications.  Apple watches are surprisingly robust in these areas, but obviously Pebble takes the cake. 

Any ideas?  I've seen cheap amazon ones, but i really dont want to bother even if they work well enough.  Compared to the Pebble, and Apple watch, just due to price and stuff, the vibration motor on pebble is kinda... a joke, pretty violent, and even those around you can hear the vibration, where the apple watch is much  more direct, and no one near you could feel it.  Its nice to have.  

So ya, am i the only one that wants this?  No idea why smart watches are quite vast in pickings now, but.. overall, more or less the same thing.  MORE FITNESS, MORE SPORTS, MORE SIZE, mediocore battery life.  Garmin Instinct is nice, but... its bulky as well.

I use a pinetime. Minimal functionality but it does its job and I don't need a lot more. But i wouldn't say its fancier than a pebble.

Have you tried using your pebble with gadgetbridge? Not sure how well it works with a pebble but it sure has support for it.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:05 AM, Mensatisch42 said:

I use a pinetime. Minimal functionality but it does its job and I don't need a lot more. But i wouldn't say its fancier than a pebble.

Have you tried using your pebble with gadgetbridge? Not sure how well it works with a pebble but it sure has support for it.

ohh, that is pretty neat, but nah, not what i'm looking for.  As i do want a better looking watch. 

Gadgetbridge is interesting.  I'll check that out.  Might be a decent way to give some life to my pebble, though i'm still hoping for some sort of work around for pebble rebble on android 14.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 11:25 AM, never_here said:

ohh, that is pretty neat, but nah, not what i'm looking for.  As i do want a better looking watch. 

Gadgetbridge is interesting.  I'll check that out.  Might be a decent way to give some life to my pebble, though i'm still hoping for some sort of work around for pebble rebble on android 14.  

The TicWatch Pro 5 in Sandstone looks pretty nice. It's a fully featured WearOS watch too. The dual-layer LCD display helps me get a solid 3+ days and I use the sleep tracking. If you don't use sleep tracking and turn off the heart rate and blood oxygen sensors you could push a week of battery. 

But yeah, now that Fossil Group is leaving the smart watch industry there's nobody making good looking smart watches now. 

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Watch 2 with my S23. Non-LTE edition. 

I still get just over 2 days per charge on it (Sleep tracking on + snore detection, BT & WiFi on, GPS on). 

Power Saving mode (time-only) it projects to get 45 days. 

I generally have the fitness stuff off, or at least in standby. Steps & heart rate are on. 

My usage is mostly as a notification panel, occasionally replying to texts from the Watch, timepiece, and hands-free Bluetooth mic/speaker while driving. 

Oh and sometimes NFC contactless payments.