Should I repaste my gigabyte gtx 1660 super?

cheersalt1

Hello, I have a gtx 1660 super and under load in a high airflow chassis it gets above 80 degrees and I can’t imagine that it will work very well when summer fully hits. 

it has a sort of wobbly fan but I checked and it is pushing the same amount of air as the non-wobbly one.

These high temps are not normal right? Should I repaste it? Buy a new fan? Get new thermal pads? Or do all of that?

thank you!!!

Up until 83*c the throttle point it's going to turbo boost as much as it can, while every 5*c from idle....it will drop 15Mhz as thats how it's algorithm works.

Balancing Power/Temps/Clockspeeds..

A new thermal paste application wouldn't hurt I'm sure.

But it's within spec, iE Normal operation.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

21 minutes ago, cheersalt1 said:

Hello, I have a gtx 1660 super and under load in a high airflow chassis it gets above 80 degrees and I can’t imagine that it will work very well when summer fully hits. 

it has a sort of wobbly fan but I checked and it is pushing the same amount of air as the non-wobbly one.

These high temps are not normal right? Should I repaste it? Buy a new fan? Get new thermal pads? Or do all of that?

thank you!!!

If you are repasting, may as well see if the thermal pads needs changing too.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

22 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Up until 83*c the throttle point it's going to turbo boost as much as it can, while every 5*c from idle....it will drop 15Mhz as thats how it's algorithm works.

Balancing Power/Temps/Clockspeeds..

A new thermal paste application wouldn't hurt I'm sure.

But it's within spec, iE Normal operation.

If this was your card would you do the repaste?

31 minutes ago, cheersalt1 said:

If this was your card would you do the repaste?

Yes because it just seems like typical wear and tear over the time of the card (factory paste) since it was made.
It's not entirely difficult, just make sure to get the WHOLE DIE covered in paste (does not need to be thick, just have 100% coverage) so no hotspots are made.
You can spread it out however you want, everyone has their methods, but overall..... it's not THAT serious, just a decent application will do.

Some GPU's fro mthe factory have a cooler and "fan curve" to get a certain full load tempreture target (say 75*c)

So when the paste gets on a bit, it's not unreasonable to see 80*c-85*c after many a years...

A repaste (and de-dust) should get you closer to factory operation temps.

It might seem daunting to do, it's not that bad.. really. Just clean the existing paste off and add a tiny bit of new stuff and spread it out.
Visualize 1mm layer (or less) you don't want it too thick like 1.5mm+ (using your imagination)

Sorry for the novel 🙂 , but Yes, I'd repaste it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

12 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Yes because it just seems like typical wear and tear over the time of the card (factory paste) since it was made.
It's not entirely difficult, just make sure to get the WHOLE DIE covered in paste (does not need to be thick, just have 100% coverage) so no hotspots are made.
You can spread it out however you want, everyone has their methods, but overall..... it's not THAT serious, just a decent application will do.

Some GPU's fro mthe factory have a cooler and "fan curve" to get a certain full load tempreture target (say 75*c)

So when the paste gets on a bit, it's not unreasonable to see 80*c-85*c after many a years...

A repaste (and de-dust) should get you closer to factory operation temps.

It might seem daunting to do, it's not that bad.. really. Just clean the existing paste off and add a tiny bit of new stuff and spread it out.
Visualize 1mm layer (or less) you don't want it too thick like 1.5mm+ (using your imagination)

Sorry for the novel 🙂 , but Yes, I'd repaste it.

awesome, thanks for the responce! I have practiced repasting on some old dead gpus of mine and I think I will do it. Should I buy some new thermal pads Aswell? 

Should I get arctic mx4 thermal paste? (Its cheap on amazon and it will come very quick)

16 hours ago, cheersalt1 said:

awesome, thanks for the responce! I have practiced repasting on some old dead gpus of mine and I think I will do it. Should I buy some new thermal pads Aswell? 

Should I get arctic mx4 thermal paste? (Its cheap on amazon and it will come very quick)

If your thermal pads were not completely destroyed and are relatively 100% intact you could keep using them, otherwise it's advised to replace them if they are not in the same state as they shipped. (You should note how thick they are (grab a ruler, 1mm? 1.5mm? 2mm?) as grabbing something too thick will affect it's cooling/assembly.  Any thermal paste that is NON-CONDUCTIVE (Metal bad) (they should say so, or you can google "Is....('brand/model') thermal paste conductive?

Let us know how it goes and your temps after the fact..

9 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

If your thermal pads were not completely destroyed and are relatively 100% intact you could keep using them, otherwise it's advised to replace them if they are not in the same state as they shipped. (You should note how thick they are (grab a ruler, 1mm? 1.5mm? 2mm?) as grabbing something too thick will affect it's cooling/assembly.  Any thermal paste that is NON-CONDUCTIVE (Metal bad) (they should say so, or you can google "Is....('brand/model') thermal paste conductive?

Let us know how it goes and your temps after the fact..

Oh, ok thanks. I brought thermal grizzly kryonaut as I think its meant to be good. And its going to arrive tomorrow 🙂

My benchmark is going to be beamng drive on max settings (max about 83 degrees) as I noticed this uses the gpu is used quite heavily or maybe something like fur mark.

On 12/30/2023 at 10:48 AM, cheersalt1 said:

Oh, ok thanks. I brought thermal grizzly kryonaut as I think its meant to be good. And its going to arrive tomorrow 🙂

My benchmark is going to be beamng drive on max settings (max about 83 degrees) as I noticed this uses the gpu is used quite heavily or maybe something like fur mark.

GPU's have some protections for furmark loads and it can be unrealistic as the GPU can detect that load type and back off the clockspeeds much more than any game heavy load will... You said BEAM will take your GPU to 83*c already so use that.