Do I need to install the BIOS updates sequentially?

milesuy
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
21 minutes ago, milesuy said:

Do I have to install the BIOS updates sequentially (all the updates between version 2802 up to 5002) or can I skip or directly install version 5002?

You can skip. 

On some other boards there's occasionally milestone updates, where you need to be on at least one particular before updating to the revisions past that, but that isn't the case on your board as it will say something along the lines of "Update to version x. xx before updating" 

My motherboard is a ROG Strix X570-F Gaming at BIOS version 2802. The latest BIOS version is 5002. Do I have to install the BIOS updates sequentially (all the updates between version 2802 up to 5002) or can I skip or directly install version 5002?

ROG Strix X570-F Gaming BIOS: https://rog.asus.com/ph/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios/

What about on other motherboards or laptops, should BIOS updates be installed sequentially?

You can just skip. Any changes in older versions are carried over to newer versions, unless the newer versions implement fixes that were caused by the older versions. Either way, you can just update to the latest unless there's a reason to stay with an older version - but the same logic applied. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

21 minutes ago, milesuy said:

Do I have to install the BIOS updates sequentially (all the updates between version 2802 up to 5002) or can I skip or directly install version 5002?

You can skip. 

On some other boards there's occasionally milestone updates, where you need to be on at least one particular before updating to the revisions past that, but that isn't the case on your board as it will say something along the lines of "Update to version x. xx before updating" 

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You can just skip. Any changes in older versions are carried over to newer versions, unless the newer versions implement fixes that were caused by the older versions. Either way, you can just update to the latest unless there's a reason to stay with an older version - but the same logic applied. 

some mobos/updates require you to do it one after another tho, some of the "quirks" you get accustomed with when owning MSI products 😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

some mobos/updates require you to do it one after another tho, some of the "quirks" you get accustomed with when owning MSI products 😉

What MSI motherboards require that?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What MSI motherboards require that?

b350m mortar, for example.  (depends on the specific update tho)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

b350m mortar, for example.  (depends on the specific update tho)

The notes specifically reference a driver revision, not a BIOS revision, and it's a 'strong recommendation', not an absolute requirement.

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

It's not an MSI thing, it's just a motherboard thing. I can think of boards from each manufacturer that requires this, most of them are older AM4 boards.