Minecraft realms servers are now available wordwide!

Rafy

Mojang's new subscription service that hosts and sets up multiplayer servers for Minecraft is available now worldwide. Minecraft Realms launched in North America last month for PC and Mac, and this week Mojang expanded it globally - no forgotten realms, then. In the UK, for example, one month's subscription sets you back eight of Her Maj's pounds sterling.

In North America the asking price is $13 per month, although there are discounts on three and six-month subscriptions. The service includes an automatic backup feature if you want to rip up creations and start anew, and Mojang also promises minigames and exclusive events. If you fancy inviting pals to join you in your new virtual pad, be advised a Minecraft Realms world allows up to 10 players at a single time.

Source:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/20/minecraft-realms-opens-up-to-bring-mojang-servers-worldwide/

It's just as easy to set up a LAN game over Hamachi even if your friends are somewhere else.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

It's just as easy to set up a LAN game over Hamachi even if your friends are somewhere else.

you have to have decent internet which as u would know australia does not have lol

you have to have decent internet which as u would know australia does not have lol

Yeah. The bandwidth that Hamachi uses is crazy.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

10 players at once! OMGOOGOMOMGGOGMGOMGMGOMGG!!!!!!!1!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

10 players... i used to host 30 on a home server back when I ran a server.

this service is going to die quickly imho. People are gonna get hyped up about it now, but then itll start to get too expensive for their little bit of gametime, and they'll cancel subscription and call it a day.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Realms is just for little kiddies with mummy's credit card that want a quick server with friends. Mojang doesn't like that large server networks are getting $200,000+ yearly through selling items and this is their response.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Well, since it was in beta for maybe i dont know 3-4 months in Sweden, apparently it had some success.

And even though you say it people will get hyped about it, and the call it a day.

I dont think so, The service itself is not so great, but yeahh, for few people playing  with your friends for few bucks is acceptable. And when subscription is over they just remind their selves how much fun they had, and buys another half year.   

Its  what drives WoW for a decade now.  Plenty of my friends were buying subscriptions and not playing it all the time, but the feeling from game was fine, and they sacrified few buck for the feeling to come back.

It maybe will not be so popular, but still acceptable for mojang to pay them the server cost, and to have a few bucks in their pocket.

And of course, with adding features as minigames e.t.c.   i think it will be acceptable bussiness model for them to keep it alive.