Constant crashing... it got worse. A lot worse.

not so Important

First off, I want to apologize to all the community members who helped me with the issue a few months back for just disappearing. After the last status update I posted, the problems suddenly all vanished and everything worked perfectly even though I did absolutely nothing. And now that the problem was solved, I kind of just forgot about this forum 😄

Anyway, I am back asking for more help because now the issue is significantly worse. Before, my game an/or PC would only crash under stress in serious video games like Cyberpunk 2077, Forza Horizon 5 and Minecraft with beefy path-tracing shaders. For more details about what was happening then, you can check my post history.

But now, the crashing and/or freezing is so bad, that even watching Youtube either crashes Firefox, freezes Firefox for a few minutes and quite often, it even blue screens my entire system. Even just having Spotify playing while I do chores around the house sometimes blue screens the entire computer. The frequency at which games crash and/or blue screen is about the same as it was before (every 5-15 minutes).

Last night, I was watching the new MrBeast video which was about 27 minutes and Firefox crashed a grand total of 15 times and I got a BSOD 2 times. Today, as I watch watching Youtube my playback would freeze but the sound of the video would continue, that happened about 5-6 times. Firefox would also completely freeze up and it even managed to completely freeze my entire system. I could move my mouse, but I could not click anywhere, not even on the taskbar. To get it into some sort of working state, I held the power button for a few seconds and the system shut down; however, something happened that I have never, ever have experienced before - even though the PC was shut off, all of the LEDs inside the case stayed on.

What the hell is happening to my system? 😕 It is seriously starting to concern me. At this point, I can only suspect it being either the 2 ram sticks, the power supply or maybe even the processor.

7 minutes ago, not so Important said:

First off, I want to apologize to all the community members who helped me with the issue a few months back for just disappearing. After the last status update I posted, the problems suddenly all vanished and everything worked perfectly even though I did absolutely nothing. And now that the problem was solved, I kind of just forgot about this forum 😄

Anyway, I am back asking for more help because now the issue is significantly worse. Before, my game an/or PC would only crash under stress in serious video games like Cyberpunk 2077, Forza Horizon 5 and Minecraft with beefy path-tracing shaders. For more details about what was happening then, you can check my post history.

But now, the crashing and/or freezing is so bad, that even watching Youtube either crashes Firefox, freezes Firefox for a few minutes and quite often, it even blue screens my entire system. Even just having Spotify playing while I do chores around the house sometimes blue screens the entire computer. The frequency at which games crash and/or blue screen is about the same as it was before (every 5-15 minutes).

Last night, I was watching the new MrBeast video which was about 27 minutes and Firefox crashed a grand total of 15 times and I got a BSOD 2 times. Today, as I watch watching Youtube my playback would freeze but the sound of the video would continue, that happened about 5-6 times. Firefox would also completely freeze up and it even managed to completely freeze my entire system. I could move my mouse, but I could not click anywhere, not even on the taskbar. To get it into some sort of working state, I held the power button for a few seconds and the system shut down; however, something happened that I have never, ever have experienced before - even though the PC was shut off, all of the LEDs inside the case stayed on.

What the hell is happening to my system? 😕 It is seriously starting to concern me. At this point, I can only suspect it being either the 2 ram sticks, the power supply or maybe even the processor.

Test RAM & check drives

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

Test RAM & check drives

I tried to see if it the drives that are causing the problem in the last post, but I am confident to say that they are not the issue. However, how should I got about testing the RAM? Also, I ran some Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool last night and it didn't find any problems.

One thing that I forgot to mention in this initial post, was that my RAM usage seems abnormally high when idle. Last I checked, it should be at about 2-4 GB for when there is nothing going on. On my system, it is using 7-9 GB when idle.

7 minutes ago, not so Important said:

I tried to see if it the drives that are causing the problem in the last post, but I am confident to say that they are not the issue. However, how should I got about testing the RAM? Also, I ran some Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool last night and it didn't find any problems.

One thing that I forgot to mention in this initial post, was that my RAM usage seems abnormally high when idle. Last I checked, it should be at about 2-4 GB for when there is nothing going on. On my system, it is using 7-9 GB when idle.

Usual software to go to for testing RAM is memtest

While physically checking method is simply unplug both sticks, then try each sticks separately.

As for RAM usage when idle, that depends.

Which Windows ? 

Windows 11 ram usage is pretty high even after a light debloat.

Also modern windows will use unused RAM for stuffs when idle and release those RAM if they ever be requested by other programs.

as for drive 

Awhile ago I bought an NVME, thought it was fine, except the occasional weird BSOD that didn't seem to have a pattern at all.

Which was wierd, because I cloned my windows from my previous SSD which was totally fine.

in HD Sentinel said the drive is healthy, and no error.

The brand's proprietary software said it is healthy
Then whenever I benchmarked it using diskmark, it sometimes crash

Then I tried doing a deep smart test using the brand's proprietary software, it either BSODed or froze.

RMA'd the NVME, got a new one, cloned back my Windows into the new one, and no problem since.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Also also, I've been meaning to ask some people who are good at this kind of stuff but why do I sometimes have 4-5 different Windows boot options when I turn on my PC? I don't mean BIOS boot menu I mean an actual Windows themed screen with two Windows 11 boot options and two Windows 10 options. Even though all my drives have been formatted many times as well I have reinstalled my Windows OS many, many times during the last round of troubleshooting.

5 minutes ago, not so Important said:

Also also, I've been meaning to ask some people who are good at this kind of stuff but why do I sometimes have 4-5 different Windows boot options when I turn on my PC? I don't mean BIOS boot menu I mean an actual Windows themed screen with two Windows 11 boot options and two Windows 10 options. Even though all my drives have been formatted many times as well I have reinstalled my Windows OS many, many times during the last round of troubleshooting.

Err...

Take a pic, I'm having trouble understanding what you really meant by that.

So yeah, take a pic and post. So people who are having trouble understanding can maybe understand better.

Also, add a link to your previous troubleshooting post to this one. So people can take a look at what you have tried and stuff

Refresh before you reply

9 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Err...

Take a pic, I'm having trouble understanding what you really meant by that.

So yeah, take a pic and post. So people who are having trouble understanding can maybe understand better.

Also, add a link to your previous troubleshooting post to this one. So people can take a look at what you have tried and stuff

Good shout. My previous thread can be found here:

I really did want to take a picture just before posting that comment right there, but this time it did not appear. It only appears sometimes and I can't figure what I have to do in order to get it. But I can find some pictures on the internet of how the screen looks like:

image.png.d2100ab1d23640f81b1f54626ea8f23e.png

It's exactly this, but instead of just two options, I get two Windows 11 options, and two Windows 10 options.

45 minutes ago, not so Important said:

Good shout. My previous thread can be found here:

I really did want to take a picture just before posting that comment right there, but this time it did not appear. It only appears sometimes and I can't figure what I have to do in order to get it. But I can find some pictures on the internet of how the screen looks like:

image.png.d2100ab1d23640f81b1f54626ea8f23e.png

It's exactly this, but instead of just two options, I get two Windows 11 options, and two Windows 10 options.

Honestly idk.

My guess is that there's a leftover boot files in those volumes.

I do remember seeing posts about having multiple bootloader in boot manager, and deleting them.

But since I never done it myself, idk whether it is safe to do so or not.

Refresh before you reply

Currently doing the memtest scan and it’s taking way longer than I expected. However, I am on the 2nd pass out of the 4 and there are 36 errors that have been discovered.

Would it be safe to say that it’s the memory at fault?

So I ran two tests using the propietary app by Samsung for the NVME SSD and nothing came up.

I just finished the RAM test and I ended with a total of 82 errors and this welcoming screen:

IMG_0281.jpeg

It could be that you have downloaded Windows 11 twice on the same disk?
but am not sure am not an expert in this area

Update: so after I ran the test and it said that it failed I immediately took it Google to see what this entails. According to some people, even a single error could be cause for concern, well I got 82 so that can't be too good. On other forums, people have suggested other people with a similar problem to mine, to resit the RAM sticks, test them individually in all the available slots and so on. But some people mentioned that a temporary solution could be to disable XMP. And lo and behold that has seemingly solved the issue... for now. I imagine that I will have to get a new set of RAM sticks now. No the end of the world, I suppose, it could have been my graphics card or my processor.