Recently upgraded home internet to Fiber 100Mbps and 2.4GHz on phone shows around ~55Mbps next to router

AleksiDj73

Hello everyone, yesterday we upgraded our home internet to Fiber 100Mbps (100 down and 10 up) and since yesterday i've been doing speedtests both on 2.4 and 5GHz channels to see what's up both on PC/Laptop/Phones etc.

Before Fiber 100, we had Fiber 50 (50 down 5 up) and on all of the devices i got constant 50 down and 5 up with no issues at all both on 2.4 and 5GHz. Now with Fiber 100, i get above 95Mbps both on PC (Ethernet) and laptop (WiFi, both 2.4 and 5Ghz) but on my personal phone (Samsung Galaxy A71) and my moms Samsung Galaxy M13, we both get on 2.4GHz around 55Mbps, and if i switch to 5GHz on my phone, i get the same numbers as my PC and laptop which is 95Mbps or so. I haven't tested my dads phone yet (Galaxy A24) or my brothers phone (Galaxy S23) but most likely it's gonna be the same numbers. And remember, these tests were done being in the next room or directly infront of the router.

I wanted to ask why am i getting around 55Mbps on 2.4GHz on phones and not the full 100Mbps when being literally 50cm away from the router? It's not like my phone is ancient and can't handle the bigger speed so what gives? Maybe a router setting?

And the router is an ISP router and not one that i bought.

REMINDER: We do not got FTTH (Fiber To The Home), we got FTTC (Fiber To The Curb)

Any help would be appreciated!

2 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

(100 down and 10 up)

Weird asymmetry, doesn't look like fiber but cable instead.

2 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

REMINDER: We do not got FTTH (Fiber To The Home), we got FTTC (Fiber To The Curb)

Ah, ok, so not really fiber in the way most people use it.

5 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

but on my personal phone (Samsung Galaxy A71) and my moms Samsung Galaxy M13, we both get on 2.4GHz around 55Mbps, and if i switch to 5GHz on my phone, i get the same numbers as my PC and laptop which is 95Mbps or so. I haven't tested my dads phone yet (Galaxy A24)

Afaik those phones are single stream only, so such speeds are expected.

6 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

my brothers phone (Galaxy S23)

I can't remember if it supports 2x2, but my guess is yes and that it should be faster.

10 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

I wanted to ask why am i getting around 55Mbps on 2.4GHz on phones and not the full 100Mbps when being literally 50cm away from the router? It's not like my phone is ancient and can't handle the bigger speed so what gives? Maybe a router setting?

It's not ancient but still limited since it's not a higher-end model

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

13 minutes ago, igormp said:

Weird asymmetry, doesn't look like fiber but cable instead.

Yeah i know but that's how they got the plans here lol

Ah, ok, so not really fiber in the way most people use it.

Indeed but that's how they advertise it here. If my house had actual fiber lines, i would have FTTH but i don't 😞

I can't remember if it supports 2x2, but my guess is yes and that it should be faster.

So you're saying that my brothers S23 should show on 2.4GHz 95Mbps?

Can't quote your last message for some reason but anyways. Yeah it's not a high end model but it's not like it can't handle 100Mbps speed..

9 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Indeed but that's how they advertise it here. If my house had actual fiber lines, i would have FTTH but i don't 😞

20 minutes ago, igormp said:

i don't think houses are expected to have fiber lines beforehand, here they wire it up when you sign a fiber plan (not sure if that's what you meant).

10 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

So you're saying that my brothers S23 should show on 2.4GHz 95Mbps?

I believe so, yes.

14 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Can't quote your last message for some reason but anyways. Yeah it's not a high end model but it's not like it can't handle 100Mbps speed..

Samsung simply didn't add an extra antenna to enable multiple streams, it's a physical limitation, nothing much you can do about it really.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

8 minutes ago, igormp said:

i don't think houses are expected to have fiber lines beforehand, here they wire it up when you sign a fiber plan (not sure if that's what you meant).

Yeah that's what i meant but i don't think i'll ever need actual fiber lines in my house since i'm not doing anything extreme with my internet

I believe so, yes.

Alrighty then, my brother just came home from work so i will tell him to download speedtest ookla and see if he truly gets 95 on his phone and i will update you in a bit

Samsung simply didn't add an extra antenna to enable multiple streams, it's a physical limitation, nothing much you can do about it really.

Yeah i know. But still, 55Mbps is enough for me

Just now, AleksiDj73 said:

Alrighty then, my brother just came home from work so i will tell him to download speedtest ookla and see if he truly gets 95 on his phone and i will update you in a bit

I do have an S22 that can go past 100Mbps, but I'm not even sure if I'm connected on 2.4 or 5ghz lol

Too lazy to split the networks and do a proper 2.4ghz-only test

Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, igormp said:

I do have an S22 that can go past 100Mbps, but I'm not even sure if I'm connected on 2.4 or 5ghz lol

Too lazy to split the networks and do a proper 2.4ghz-only test

Lol, alrighty then haha.

So, just told my brother to download speedtest ookla on his phone and you were correct, on 2.4GHz, he got 90Mbps so it's just indeed an actual limitation on my phone and my moms phone. Probs with my dads phone as well, i will test his later

But hey ho, 55Mbps is more than enough for pretty much anything really

17 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

But hey ho, 55Mbps is more than enough for pretty much anything really

Agreed on that, not sure what else you could do in a phone that would require faster speeds.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 minutes ago, igormp said:

Agreed on that, not sure what else you could do in a phone that would require faster speeds.

Idk, maybe download something urgent? No clue

Just use 5GHz? There should usually not be anything on your 2.4GHz network other than old devices that don't support 5 or are really low bandwidth things, 5GHz is just so much better.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Just use 5GHz? There should usually not be anything on your 2.4GHz network other than old devices that don't support 5 or are really low bandwidth things, 5GHz is just so much better.

5ghz has lower range tho

Lenovo N23 Yoga

3 hours ago, igormp said:

5ghz has lower range tho

Usually enough for inside a house, and it’s much less congested so generally provides a better experience

15 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

Usually enough for inside a house, and it’s much less congested so generally provides a better experience

I used to have issues with it with an older router in a large-ish apartment (150m2), so it really depends on the circumstances.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

21 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I would've but for some reason the wifi in the kitchen is horrendous (there is something blocking the signal in the kitchen, getting like 1-2 bars and the router is like 5 meters away) so my parents and brother use 2.4GHz. If i was in my old house then yeah, we would've used 5GHz

17 hours ago, seanondemand said:

As i said to Kilrah, the wifi in the kitchen is horrendous

On 12/15/2023 at 6:02 PM, htimsenyawed said:

Here is my 1Gbps FTTH connection on an iPhone 13 Pro Max with a WiFi 6 connection over 5ghz roughly 6 feet from the mesh satellite with a clear line of sight and nothing blocking it. On wired connections I do 1.1-1.2Gbps.

Wifi will always have some loss. I’m experience roughly 50% loss which checks out with your experience as well. 

What I have discovered is mixing WiFi 5 and WiFi 6 clients REALLY brings down the WiFi 6 performance.  So I have a dedicated AP for each now on different channels.

It brought my speed from a variable 600-800 to 930Mbit fairly consistently.  WiFi 6 to my wired Access Point over 6 feet on a Galaxy S10.  In fact fast.com claimed a peak of 1.2Gbit just now.

A mesh satellite will also be limited by the link back to the main unit which can compound matters.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, htimsenyawed said:

Interestingly enough that’s a 5Ghz only mesh network (I have a VLAN with IoT on a 2.4Ghz) with a Cat6 link between the node and satellite and back to the switch. Maybe it’s just where it’s Netgear, maybe it’s something else. I don’t expect it to be as fast as a wire though, it’s WiFi.

Channel can be hugely relevant, channel 36 is almost always congested as manufacturers don't like to use DFS channels.  Fortunately I can stick to DFS channels as I'm nowhere near any radar.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7