Iphone 12 $400 or Iphone 13 for $550 what the better deal?

I'm currently looking to upgrade from my current iPhone 8 to a newer model and I've come across two listings on Facebook Marketplace

First Listing

iPhone 13

128GB

89% battery health

$550CAD

Second Listing

iPhone 12

128GB

87% battery health

$400CAD

Is the $150 worth it for the upgrade, or should I go with the older model? Low light performance is something I value and need now, is there any noticeable difference between the two phones in day-to-day use?

The 13 comes with a smaller notch and a slightly different camera layout on the back in terms of looks.

For other specs, nothing really interesting besides battery. It's a slight upgrade - coming from an 8, X, or XS I get it, from an 11 or 12 probably not. If it matters to you, the SIM reader on the 12 is replaceable but not on the 13. You could add a dual SIM reader if you wanted.

The screens are basically the same. It's "better calibrated to improve readability" according to marketing.

Battery life - at 100% health the 13 gets around 2.5 hours more than the 12, but unless you're a heavy user the 12 will probably be fine with its around 7.5-8 hour life.

If you really want the extra battery the 13 could be worth the $150, but I personally would not.

Then again, I use an iPhone 7 with a battery life of about 2.5-3 hours - and so I charge it frequently throughout the day.

elephants

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2023 at 1:14 PM, NotDoofus said:

I'm currently looking to upgrade from my current iPhone 8 to a newer model and I've come across two listings on Facebook Marketplace

First Listing

iPhone 13

128GB

89% battery health

$550CAD

Second Listing

iPhone 12

128GB

87% battery health

$400CAD

Is the $150 worth it for the upgrade, or should I go with the older model? Low light performance is something I value and need now, is there any noticeable difference between the two phones in day-to-day use?

The iPhone 13 and 12 don't have much of a difference, but here are some:

iPhone 13:

A15 Bionic chip
6-core CPU
4-core GPU
16-core Neural Engine
800 nits max brightness (typical)

HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 4K at 60 fps
Portrait mode with Focus and Depth Control (also don't know what this is)
Photographic Styles ( still no idea what this is)
Sensor-shift optical image stabilization

iPhone 12:

A14 Bionic chip
6-core CPU
4-core GPU
16-core Neural Engine
625 nits max brightness (typical)
HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 4K at 30 fps
Optical image stabilization

They don't really have a difference, the 13 is better at processing speed and battery life but if you go on Amazon.com and get Amazon renewed, you could get a 13 Pro instead for CAD 468.65. All though if I were you I'd buy the 12 since there's not much of a difference to the 13.