Trying to setup Vim.

Gat Pelsinger

I am trying to learn Vim. How should I set it up? How do I get features like Intellisense, syntax highlighting and real-time error checking? Or, do I use Vim in VS code (I don't want to)? Also, I see other's having fancy terminals, although I don't think they are on Windows. I have the new Windows terminal but that ain't fancy enough.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

Just use plain Vim and look up how to do things as you go.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

You could write several books on all the things you can do to customize vim... a good starting point would be installing a plugin manager, for example vundle, and going from there...

7 hours ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

How do I get features like Intellisense, syntax highlighting and real-time error checking?

Syntax highlighting is built in to vim. "Intellisense" is the specific name of visual studio's autocomplete engine; you can't get it on vim but you can get something similar, for example youcompleteme, as a plugin.

7 hours ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

I see other's having fancy terminals, although I don't think they are on Windows. I have the new Windows terminal but that ain't fancy enough.

Why is it not "fancy enough"? What do you want from your terminal that the windows terminal doesn't do?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

ThePrimeagen has some really good vim videos. I would highly recommend watching some of his videos; he is the one who got me interested in vim. He has a video about setting it up (for neovim which is just a better version of vim):

And a playlist of videos about using vim:

@Sauron @AamirA

Update. I customized some stuff. Apparently the "fancy terminal" I was talking about is gvim itself? My vimrc-

set clipboard=unnamed
set backspace=2
set guifont=Fira\ Code\ Bold:h12
colorscheme elford
syntax on
set nu
set laststatus=2
call plug#begin('~/vimfiles/plugged')
Plug 'itchyny/lightline.vim'
Plug 'lambdalisue/vim-fullscreen'
call plug#end()
set guioptions -=m
set guioptions -=T

I am trying to go fullscreen in gvim. Meaning removing the titlebar itself and going completely fullscreen. That fullscreen plugin I installed only maximizes the window. And I am still looking for how to add my compilers, syntax highlighting (it doesn't work beyond vimrc file for some reason) and maybe autocomplete. Like how do I code in this thing instead of using it as notepad?

Microsoft owns my soul.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 1:20 AM, Gat Pelsinger said:

Like how do I code in this thing instead of using it as notepad?

Probably the most relevant question here is why you want to use Vim. It will not make you a better programmer and chances are that you'll never reach the point where you saved more time with Vim's keybindings than you spent learning them.

Write in C.

7 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Probably the most relevant question here is why you want to use Vim. It will not make you a better programmer and chances are that you'll never reach the point where you saved more time with Vim's keybindings than you spent learning them.

Programming fetish. I just like to flex using the terminal.

Microsoft owns my soul.