Fortnite takes a good while to load up on HDD install.

Kanna
Go to solution Solved by Robchil,
3 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Yeah I figured the HDD would be a bottleneck, I got this years ago to store most of my games, which has worked fine, it was only now when I recently tried fortnite which has advanced a lot since I last played on my PC. But I am giving DX11 a try because I think I had DX12, and also I'm installing the streamed textures, perhaps might not help with loading, but it's something

well...聽 from an HDD.. you get 60-120 mb pr sec... read.. from an ok SSD.. you get around 550-600 mb pr sec. so mostly 10 times faster.. an nvme are at Gen3 to gen5. from 3000 to 12000 ish. mb pr sec....聽 so just an SSD are basicaly 10 times faster and nvme 100 times faster

I have recently wanted to try some more Fortnite on my PC as I upgraded to a RTX 4060, but whenever I press launch it launches like normal, but it takes like 15 minutes to start, and most likely give me an error to relaunch the game (and also verify it in the same process), yet no fix. I noticed my HDD which is 5400 RPM only is 100% used when loading in which would just mean it's trying it's best, but still it's an HDD. Just wondering if there is any troubleshooting steps I could take that could possibly fix this, do I have to use an SSD for the game perhaps? is my HDD dying (despite not really showing signs in other games) or just a plain and simple reinstallation overnight? Give your opinions and tips 馃槃

Reminder鈿狅笍

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am聽always glad to help

due to massive files loading to start modern games and programs it will take ages to load from HDD's...聽

i would only use it for storage... and anything launching ... games and programs from nvme/ssd's

I think the game shouldn't load forever on an HDD, I mean I remember barely loading into before-game lobby and only loading when already in a bus, but that's because I had a Quad Core Ryzen (the game was on SSD tho)

But can't be CPU issue here I guess,

someone online suggested to try DX11 instead of DX12 if you're on DX12,

though it's no wonder if it's the HDD's fault, PCs use 7200RPM drives usually, 5400RPM mostly used by Laptops, but let's see if others can think of something before complete reinstall

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

5 minutes ago, Robchil said:

due to massive files loading to start modern games and programs it will take ages to load from HDD's...聽

i would only use it for storage... and anything launching ... games and programs from nvme/ssd's

oh right, Fortnite is a pretty big game, though

one more thing about Fortnite, there's few Download-Launch options,

one I'd recommend that might fix the issue, is turning on "Disable Cosmetic Streaming" which will obviously need to download the cosmetics, but maybe the streaming is what could be slowing things down?

image.png.69247ef7eee2d8ccfb9ee8e31dceb2a3.png

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

3 minutes ago, podkall said:

I think the game shouldn't load forever on an HDD, I mean I remember barely loading into before-game lobby and only loading when already in a bus, but that's because I had a Quad Core Ryzen (the game was on SSD tho)

But can't be CPU issue here I guess,

someone online suggested to try DX11 instead of DX12 if you're on DX12,

though it's no wonder if it's the HDD's fault, PCs use 7200RPM drives usually, 5400RPM mostly used by Laptops, but let's see if others can think of something before complete reinstall

4 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Yeah I figured the HDD would be a bottleneck, I got this years ago to store most of my games, which has worked fine, it was only now when I recently tried fortnite which has advanced a lot since I last played on my PC. But I am giving DX11 a try because I think I had DX12, and also I'm installing the streamed textures, perhaps might not help with loading, but it's something

Reminder鈿狅笍

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am聽always glad to help

3 minutes ago, Kanna said:

well...聽 from an HDD.. you get 60-120 mb pr sec... read.. from an ok SSD.. you get around 550-600 mb pr sec. so mostly 10 times faster.. an nvme are at Gen3 to gen5. from 3000 to 12000 ish. mb pr sec....聽 so just an SSD are basicaly 10 times faster and nvme 100 times faster

6 minutes ago, Robchil said:

yeah, so fortnite went a little faster loading with the streaming assets installed, but as said it's very much held back by my HDD in such game.

Reminder鈿狅笍

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

yeah, so fortnite went a little faster loading with the streaming assets installed, but as said it's very much held back by my HDD in such game.

what about Dx11?

PC:

PCs I used before:

Surely this isn't a literal 15 minutes? We still use HDD here at the house, as we need the space, but I know my I've watched my son open and load Fortnite (not one I play) it runs fine on his PC. However he is launching it from a WD Gold drive (7200 RPM), which I'm betting is a making the difference.

52 minutes ago, podkall said:

what about Dx11?

Oh yeah I already had that on apparently, so that wasn't it,

41 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Surely this isn't a literal 15 minutes? We still use HDD here at the house, as we need the space, but I know my I've watched my son open and load Fortnite (not one I play) it runs fine on his PC. However he is launching it from a WD Gold drive (7200 RPM), which I'm betting is a making the difference.

Nope I meant literal 15 minutes, maybe like 10?

Reminder鈿狅笍

24 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Nope I meant literal 15 minutes, maybe like 10?

and it's like that every game? because I remember Fortnite loaded very long, but after one game it loaded bit faster

PC:

PCs I used before:

18 minutes ago, podkall said:

and it's like that every game? because I remember Fortnite loaded very long, but after one game it loaded bit faster

nope only Fortnite, so I think it's perhaps a Fortnite being a lot to load thing as mentioned.

Reminder鈿狅笍

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

nope only Fortnite, so I think it's perhaps a Fortnite being a lot to load thing as mentioned.

I meant in Fortnite, if it's long loading when going for a 2nd match

PC:

PCs I used before: