Need advice/opinions before I upgrade 3700X -> 5800X3D / 2070S -> RX 7900XT

KSL

Hi friends.

I want to upgrade my PC without swapping out everything and I was thinking on replacing my R7 3700X for a 5800X3D and a 2070S for a RX 7900XT.

The reason behind those two is that this CPU is apparently one of the best options I could get for the AM4 platform and the GPU is the best one I could find that can fit in my case ( up to 300mm length).

I mostly play esports games like League of Legends, Valorant and battle royals but I also like to play AAA games on high settings every now and then.

My main display is only 1080p but it's a fast 360hz one, I want to have the most FPS possible in competitive games.

The parts that I have right now:

- Asus ROG B450-F

- Corsair Vengeance 16GB running at 3200mhz

- Wraith Prism cooler ( ready to replace it for an AIO)

- Corsair RM850x PSU

- 2 SSDs and an old HDD

Please tell me if the parts I want are compatible with the stuff I have.

If you want to recommend me other parts I will consider that too.

The goal is to make use of as many parts that I already have while still making a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Good setup but i wouldnt go with an AIO for the 5800X3D, chip runs plenty cool enough for a half decent air cooler to manage it with ease, Phantom spirit 120, around $40 will be able to handle it running 100% with ease.

Also is either of your SSDs an M.2 NVMe? Will also help with game stability under high frames, loading, frame rates etc if your system has ease and fast access to the files stored. Even just a lower end NVMe can be very cheap and can be half a dozen times faster than a traditional sata ssd

The only thing i would say is 16GB can be on the lower end when you have everything else running a charm, but i wouldnt upgrade if you dont need to.

However, if you do plan to upgrade, there 2 real upgrade paths, get another 16gbs of RAM and run all 4 slots, however the RAM will run slower overall as 5800X3D only supports dual channel. Or replace your 2x8gb sticks with 2x16gb sticks in order to get 32GB and will run faster, but will be more expensive overall

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

11 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Good setup but i wouldnt go with an AIO for the 5800X3D, chip runs plenty cool enough for a half decent air cooler to manage it with ease, Phantom spirit 120, around $40 will be able to handle it running 100% with ease.

Also is either of your SSDs an M.2 NVMe? Will also help with game stability under high frames, loading, frame rates etc if your system has ease and fast access to the files stored. Even just a lower end NVMe can be very cheap and can be half a dozen times faster than a traditional sata ssd

I have a 970 Evo Plus for games and I'm planning to get another one eventually for the second slot, the other SSD is an older SATA one. The HDD is there just because I screwed it so tight that I can't get it out anymore lol.

Thanks for the cooler recommendation. I mainly want an AIO for the aesthetics to be fair. I have a bunch of Corsair RGB fans and other crap in there so I will probably try to keep the theme 🙂

7 minutes ago, KSL said:

I have a 970 Evo Plus for games and I'm planning to get another one eventually for the second slot, the other SSD is an older SATA one. The HDD is there just because I screwed it so tight that I can't get it out anymore lol.

Thanks for the cooler recommendation. I mainly want an AIO for the aesthetics to be fair. I have a bunch of Corsair RGB fans and other crap in there so I will probably try to keep the theme 🙂

Make sure your bios is up to date because your board DOES NOT support the 5800x3d out of the box

Else get a arctic liquid freezer ii 240/280mm aio (or bigger just make sure the rad is higher than the pump) and call it good. Mainly that onr to help actively cool the vrms since the asus board you have doesnt have the best ones and can use the help

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Make sure your bios is up to date because your board DOES NOT support the 5800x3d out of the box

Else get a arctic liquid freezer ii 240/280mm aio (or bigger just make sure the rad is higher than the pump) and call it good. Mainly that onr to help actively cool the vrms since the asus board you have doesnt have the best ones and can use the help

I updated the BIOS last year. I will make sure it is at correct version before I buy the CPU.

Any Corsair alternatives you would suggest for the cooling? I want to keep the theme as long as it doesn't impact the performance.

It's okay if it costs a little more.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

How does the arctic freezer help cool VRMs?

Did a quick little google, didnt know that little thing up top was a fan, cool! Thanks for the wisdom 😋

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

53 minutes ago, KSL said:

Hi friends.

I want to upgrade my PC without swapping out everything and I was thinking on replacing my R7 3700X for a 5800X3D and a 2070S for a RX 7900XT.

The reason behind those two is that this CPU is apparently one of the best options I could get for the AM4 platform and the GPU is the best one I could find that can fit in my case ( up to 300mm length).

I mostly play esports games like League of Legends, Valorant and battle royals but I also like to play AAA games on high settings every now and then.

My main display is only 1080p but it's a fast 360hz one, I want to have the most FPS possible in competitive games.

The parts that I have right now:

- Asus ROG B450-F

- Corsair Vengeance 16GB running at 3200mhz

- Wraith Prism cooler ( ready to replace it for an AIO)

- Corsair RM850x PSU

- 2 SSDs and an old HDD

Please tell me if the parts I want are compatible with the stuff I have.

If you want to recommend me other parts I will consider that too.

The goal is to make use of as many parts that I already have while still making a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

That's wrong. You want the biggest air coolers on the market to cool the 5800X3D. Because of 3D cache gets hot, just like the 7800X3D.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

You'll need a better cooler. AIO or a beefy tower.

Also with the ginormous budget that ASUS has, they've still yet to inform us that their motherboard need to be updated sequentially with specific versions after each other. Was a stressful few hours of searching why.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

1 hour ago, KSL said:

The HDD is there just because I screwed it so tight that I can't get it out anymore lol.

Sounds like you need an LTT screwdriver. 😉

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, KSL said:

I updated the BIOS last year. I will make sure it is at correct version before I buy the CPU.

Any Corsair alternatives you would suggest for the cooling? I want to keep the theme as long as it doesn't impact the performance.

It's okay if it costs a little more.

You can just add corsair fans. Cheaper than getting a corsair aio even 😛 all their fans are worse than the stock ones on the arctic