Just looking for a Camera... Suggestions anyone?

So I am just looking for a camera for my sister, not too expensive, not too cheap... etc. Preferably <$300.00. I do prefer Canon or Nikon

BTW this is not a gift, just helping her look for one.

And this camera does not have to be DSLR....although if you can find one for less than $300.00 then great.

I pretty much know next to nothing about cameras. SO thanks for the help!

Not so much selfies, she can just use her s4, she just want a camera that is better than her galaxy s4 that can take photos of things or people on like trips.

Check out some of the older sony nex series. The nex f3 JPEG image quality it great. Only thing lacking is some of the newer features like wifi and advanced features like remote shutter. I personally one and can show some sample photos if you like.

I don't trust Sony cameras anymore. I had two cameras from them,

The first one, at first, it produced extremely clear and crisp images at close and long range, but eventually the long range just got worst and worst, and eventually, the camera was unable to produce a clear image. This was about 2 weeks after purchase without any scratches nor drops.

The second one, Which was an exchange I got from the first one. It worked a good full year. Except that the camera flash burnt out... out of all things... like wtf. And the battery died about a few weeks after. Didn`t bothered replacing.

Sony I just don't trust anymore. However I do have a sony bluray/home theatre system and an 52" XBR tv from them that I love. Additionally I have a  2000 5.1 Channel speaker system from them which I do love. So for now, I am staying away from their cameras and laptops.

Note. This is from a personal experience. Not from anyone else. but my family.

What cameras did you have? Canon leads in the basic point and shoots no doubt. The higher end sony stuff tends to be better because it is a lot of konica minolta tech. I had a hard time switching to my mirrorless coming from canon until i started digging really deep into reviews. 

Photo from NEX F3K

4.jpg

I do not know what camera* (same one just was replaced) I had. Some digital camera. about $250.00

And the photo looks great, problem is that its kinda more than 300.00.......

the camera is at least 1 or 2 generations removed now. Last time I saw it in a store it a year ago it was 399 might be something to watch. Another camera to look at that got great reviews a model generation removed now was the canon sx280hs. The only complaint on it was battery life. 

Currently looking at

Canon SX600

Nikon L830

Nikon L330

Thoughts?

without looking into the cameras to much if I was looking at those I would honestly go for the 830. My reasoning behind that would be the Mexapixels. Point and Shoots with 16 megapixel sensors tend not to produce as good an image. The sensors are just to small. the one true statement to "is just a number" is megapixel. Its all about sensor size and lens quality. 

You could go for a Nikon D3000 it is just under 300 dollars or find a 3100 on sale. Canon Rebel Xti might be a good option as well. The D3000 and XTI are 10 megapixels, but if you are not doing poster size its more than enough and will produce a better image than most point and shoots despite their age.

Here is some shots from an XTI and this is without any Image stabilization. I do not have the most steady hands.

ZkYpG6ml.jpg

Here is one that I even had printed on a throw blanket, so large format is possible at 10 MP as well.

aKiru97l.jpg

EOS M. Over here they are under 300 Euros

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

EOS M. Over here they are under 300 Euros

but the EOS M is not a very good camera in many respects even after all the software updates.

I ended up buying a P530 because futureshop had it on sale for 40$ more than the L820. This was $310 and the L820 was $270

So far, after playing with it for about 30 minutes, it does produce great images at amazing ranges, however I am thinking whether I should return this and wait till boxing day and get a D3200 or something. I do have 15 more days to return it so idk.

I love this camera so far but I am thinking in the long run if a D3200 would be better.

I ended up buying a P530 because futureshop had it on sale for 40$ more than the L820. This was $310 and the L820 was $270

So far, after playing with it for about 30 minutes, it does produce great images at amazing ranges, however I am thinking whether I should return this and wait till boxing day and get a D3200 or something. I do have 15 more days to return it so idk.

I love this camera so far but I am thinking in the long run if a D3200 would be better.

yes it would be considerably better.

Ya the D3200 would be alot better. However I probably won't go hardcore with photos. So I am thinking, is it really worth the extra 200-300

And the stock lens isn't that great with the D3200.

I will upload some photos within 24 hours or later with the P530....

If she doesn't care about video, the Nikon D3000 is a great beginner camera. If she is willing to fork out some extra money, the Nikon D3300 is a GREAT camera for the price. 

So after a few days with the Nikon P530, I am really impressed by it for a digital camera. I think I will probably be keeping this camera as my sister isn't really a hardcore photographer, she just needs a camera to get the job done.