NAS to DAS using an IBM system x3200 m2 server

Fatdrift22

Hi, 

i have a ibm system x3200 m2 server and after building my own NAS server i have recently decided i want to use the Server with the HDDs from the NAS and run as a DAS, What would i need to do this?

I understand there's a high possibility i'll have to either reinstall the 2003 Windows server OS or If possible still use the a TrueNas USB from my NAS, Or even Use the 2022 Server OS 

Just looking to see what i need to use the IBM server as a DAS, i need to minimize the use of more cables etc

Any help is Greatly appreciated

TIA

Kind Regards

well, truenas wants to have direct block access to your drives. so you would basically have to rebuild the server to be a dumb enclosure without any compute, and use a external SAS HBA in your TrueNAS box to connect the drives in your server directly to the NAS.

EDIT:

i was thinking you want to use the DAS as extra storage for your NAS, is this the case or do you want to have a DAS to connect to a PC or something?

2 hours ago, RollinLower said:

well, truenas wants to have direct block access to your drives. so you would basically have to rebuild the server to be a dumb enclosure without any compute, and use a external SAS HBA in your TrueNAS box to connect the drives in your server directly to the NAS.

EDIT:

i was thinking you want to use the DAS as extra storage for your NAS, is this the case or do you want to have a DAS to connect to a PC or something?

I was just wanting the storage for direct access when and where needed straight at my PC, The only idea i have is a PCIe HBA and Molex to Sata connectors for power from my PSU to the drives and a suitable HDD mount tray or something, I don't have the space or plugs for PoE or additional ethernet cables to run around the house for the Networking for the NAS, so i thought some kind of DAS solution, only way would be internal with the Molex to sata and the HBA card, at the moment i only have 6 drives to add in.. the 2 from my NAS, the 2 main ones from the IBM and 2 others i have available 

WAs hoping for external and basically some type of USB from either servers to my PC or something but the above might be the only option

4 hours ago, Fatdrift22 said:

I was just wanting the storage for direct access when and where needed straight at my PC, The only idea i have is a PCIe HBA and Molex to Sata connectors for power from my PSU to the drives and a suitable HDD mount tray or something, I don't have the space or plugs for PoE or additional ethernet cables to run around the house for the Networking for the NAS, so i thought some kind of DAS solution, only way would be internal with the Molex to sata and the HBA card, at the moment i only have 6 drives to add in.. the 2 from my NAS, the 2 main ones from the IBM and 2 others i have available 

WAs hoping for external and basically some type of USB from either servers to my PC or something but the above might be the only option

So you want to turn the IBM server into a big external drive for your NAS? 

What's the total capacity of the drives you have installed in it? Even if you have to spend a couple hundred bucks on higher-capacity drives for the new NAS, they'll pay for themselves in power savings because you'll be able to completely retire that power-hungry Core 2 dinosaur.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, Fatdrift22 said:

If you are ok to run usb between the boxes, why can't you use ethernet? Just direct connect the two.

A DAS needs power and drive connectivity (which depending how you do it, may be lots of cables….). A NAS needs power and Ethernet. If you’re trying to minimize cables, sticking a NAS somewhere is prolly easier. 

Why not just leave it as a NAS?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

17 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

A DAS needs power and drive connectivity (which depending how you do it, may be lots of cables….). A NAS needs power and Ethernet. If you’re trying to minimize cables, sticking a NAS somewhere is prolly easier. 

Why not just leave it as a NAS?

More cables in the PC with a PCIe SATA expansion card I can deal with, more cables around the house is a bit more of a hassle, and eliminating the NAS and any external storage is the plan at the end, i have been poking around at ideas and taken all replies to careful consideration and appreciation 

20 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

If you are ok to run usb between the boxes, why can't you use ethernet? Just direct connect the two.

Network cable from the server to the PC?, I already have my PCs Ethernet port taken by a PoE adapter, I think I have the idea I want to go with, all replies are considered and appreciated

22 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

So you want to turn the IBM server into a big external drive for your NAS? 

What's the total capacity of the drives you have installed in it? Even if you have to spend a couple hundred bucks on higher-capacity drives for the new NAS, they'll pay for themselves in power savings because you'll be able to completely retire that power-hungry Core 2 dinosaur.

At the moment I have a total of 12tb of drives I want to use in it, I was planning to use the IBM as a replacement NAS from the one I made with the IBM being a proper sorted server, or have the IBM rig set for a DAS, but have recently been looking at other avenues as well, 1 being the PCIe sata expansion card idea...

On 12/9/2023 at 8:11 PM, RollinLower said:

EDIT:

Wad aiming for DAS connection to the PC directory, other ideas and avenues have been thought of as an option as well

1 hour ago, Fatdrift22 said:

I was planning to use the IBM as a replacement NAS from the one I made with the IBM being a proper sorted server

What are the specs of your homebuilt NAS? The IBM may be a "real" server, but it's an ancient power hog. Even a Sandy Bridge era server would run circles around it with half the power consumption (or less).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 11:12 PM, Needfuldoer said:

What are the specs of your homebuilt NAS? The IBM may be a "real" server, but it's an ancient power hog. Even a Sandy Bridge era server would run circles around it with half the power consumption (or less).

My Built NAS Specs i could get are as follows:

Motherboard: Generic HP
CPU: Intel Core 2 6700 @2.66GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR2 800MHz
GPU: HD 2600 XT 256MBGDDR4 PCI-E  Dual DVI

Compared to the specs of the IBM System x3200 M2 Type 4367 (I think it is)

1 hour ago, Fatdrift22 said:

My Built NAS Specs i could get are as follows:

Motherboard: Generic HP
CPU: Intel Core 2 6700 @2.66GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR2 800MHz
GPU: HD 2600 XT 256MBGDDR4 PCI-E  Dual DVI

Compared to the specs of the IBM System x3200 M2 Type 4367 (I think it is)

I'll be blunt. Both options are going to be terrible NAS machines in 2023/2034. You are getting close to 20 years old at this point.