White thumb in colored bubble appears in video calls

VinzHD

Hey, I am kind of lost and hope this is the right place to ask. To explain the situation: Sometimes when I am on a video call with my parents (it's always the same iPhone the call goes to) a thumb in a colored bubble appears (see attached photos). I don't know where this stems from as the thumb appears regardless of used video call app (google meet or whatsapp) and from what device I am calling (Android Phone or Windows PC). Reverse image search revealed nothing, so I wanted to ask if anyone has seen anything like it or what this might be?

Thanks a lot!

image.png.3b934454fae4550134e21273ba3d8fb0.pngimage.png.0e0b4983fd92e4dc3cce484efa513705.png

I'm not able to test the theory (don't have an iPhone/Macbook), but the closest I could find that it might be (with a brief look) is the Reactions feature that was added recently.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/105117

To disable this feature on iOS17:
- Create a test video call on Meet
- Swipe down from the upper right corner of your iPhone or iPad to activate the Control Center
- Tap Video Effects
- Tap Reactions to disable the feature
To disable this feature on macOS Sonoma:
- Click the green video camera icon at the top of your Mac’s menu bar
- Select Reactions to disable the feature

Edit: the "brief look" comment wasn't meant to be a dig btw.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

1 hour ago, WildDagwood said:

I'm not able to test the theory (don't have an iPhone/Macbook), but the closest I could find that it might be (with a brief look) is the Reactions feature that was added recently.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/105117

To disable this feature on iOS17:
- Swipe down from the upper right corner of your iPhone or iPad to activate the Control Center
- Tap Video Effects
- Tap Reactions to disable the feature
To disable this feature on macOS Sonoma:
- Click the green video camera icon at the top of your Mac’s menu bar
- Select Reactions to disable the feature

Oh my god, thank you so much; I didn't find anything about it, but that clears up a few things!

2 hours ago, VinzHD said:

Oh my god, thank you so much; I didn't find anything about it, but that clears up a few things!

All good, glad it helped.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.