x570 Chipset Cooling

Yua

Hello, thanks for stopping by.

After about 2 months of having replaced my motherboard after dying out of nowhere, from a Crosshair Hero VI x370 to a Crosshair Hero VIII x570, I decided to tackle my noisy as hell PC.

I live in a quiet place and use monitor speakers alone, so fan noise really annoys me.

After installing HWiNFO, I found out that this motherboard chipset is running idle at 70 °C, or pretty much 100 °C while gaming.

"The fan will rarely spin," I read somewhere about this motherboard. Yeah, that was a full bucket load of BS!

Not only is the Whiney Little Bitch fan going at 3500+ RPM, but I'm sure this board won't last long at those temperatures.

I took it apart, fully expecting there to be a misaligned or missing thermal pad, but there was one. I measured it with my calipers at a thickness of 1.5 mm.

My question is, will replacing the thermal pad with something like this help, or is this a faulty board? (Besides the high temperature chipset, PC works rock solid.)

Any other suggestions to help me remedy this would be appreciated.

Qoute my reply if you want me to answer back. 

5 minutes ago, Yua said:

Hello, thanks for stopping by.

After about 2 months of having replaced my motherboard after dying out of nowhere, from a Crosshair Hero VI x370 to a Crosshair Hero VIII x570, I decided to tackle my noisy as hell PC.

I live in a quiet place and use monitor speakers alone, so fan noise really annoys me.

After installing HWiNFO, I found out that this motherboard chipset is running idle at 70 °C, or pretty much 100 °C while gaming.

"The fan will rarely spin," I read somewhere about this motherboard. Yeah, that was a full bucket load of BS!

Not only is the Whiney Little Bitch fan going at 3500+ RPM, but I'm sure this board won't last long at those temperatures.

I took it apart, fully expecting there to be a misaligned or missing thermal pad, but there was one. I measured it with my calipers at a thickness of 1.5 mm.

My question is, will replacing the thermal pad with something like this help, or is this a faulty board? (Besides the high temperature chipset, PC works rock solid.)

Any other suggestions to help me remedy this would be appreciated.

Doesn't sound quite right!  Those temps are high..  This is actually the main reason I returned my X570 / 3900x a few days after release because the fan was so annoyingly loud I couldn't even think next to my PC.  Temp should be between 40-70c during normal gaming.
How is the airflow in your case?

Very weird. I have literally never heard the chipset fan on my X570 board. I'm not sure it ever does spin except maybe for a few seconds on boot. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

8 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Doesn't sound quite right!  Those temps are high..  This is actually the main reason I returned my X570 / 3900x a few days after release because the fan was so annoyingly loud I couldn't even think next to my PC.  Temp should be between 40-70c during normal gaming.
How is the airflow in your case?

Good old NZXT H440 full tower case, triple front fans, direct air flow into the motherboard.

I thought maybe it was my GPU design blasting hot air directly into the chipset, but no.

I took the motherboard out and placed the GPU on the last PCIE port, far away from the chipset, and there was no change at all.

Question:
Do you know the CFM rating of the fans in your case?
Could be you need to upgrade your fans a little in CFM capacity. One test you can try (If you haven't already) is run the system with the side panel off and see if that makes any difference.
Also try it with a small fan in place to blow air directly onto the board and then without the fan, noting the difference if any.

If it does that will indicate a lack of airflow through the case/not enough cool air coming in.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

My X570 Aorus Pro has a small fan that's annoyingly buzzing at 5000rpm+

Got it back to a barely audible 3000rpm with FanControl and the board don't reach more than 65C 

And that's with a 5900X and a 7900XTX, and a PC in an enclosed space...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Question:
Do you know the CFM rating of the fans in your case?
Could be you need to upgrade your fans a little in CFM capacity. One test you can try (If you haven't already) is run the system with the side panel off and see if that makes any difference.

If it does that will indicate a lack of airflow through the case/not enough cool air coming in.

The first thing I tried was removing my front panel. It didn't change anything.

Right now, its out in a cardboard box. Once I get back home, I'll unscrew a Noctua fan out of my case and slap it right on top of where the chipset sits, just to see what happens.

I have an Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme and I'm surprised the passive cooling it has works so well if these are the typical results for active cooling. I don't recall it going over mid 60's C under load.

1 minute ago, Zomeguy said:

I have an Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme and I'm surprised the passive cooling it has works so well if these are the typical results for active cooling. I don't recall it going over mid 60's C under load.

I believe the newer passive version used a smaller node?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 minutes ago, josefah said:

For the chipset that's not that high. They run hotter than the CPU at idle. 

motherboard - Any solution to high chipset temp - Super User

Thanks for the info!

I'll see what a fan directly hitting it does to the temps.

Reading that gave me an Idea. If more airlfow really helps I could CAD and 3D print a special duct to direct more airflow into it.

I have a couple of little noctua fans I use to upgrade my 3d printers.

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I believe the newer passive version used a smaller node?

Not sure about the newer versions but this was one of the original x570 boards released. I have version 1.0 and I know there's a 1.1 and 1.2 as well.

3 minutes ago, Yua said:

Thanks for the info!

I'll see what a fan directly hitting it does to the temps.

Reading that gave me an Idea. If more airlfow really helps I could CAD and 3D print a special duct to direct more airflow into it.

I have a couple of little noctua fans I use to upgrade my 3d printers.

Well if you can attach a larger fan then you can get more airflow for probably a lot less noise.

1 minute ago, Zomeguy said:

Not sure about the newer versions but this was one of the original x570 boards released. I have version 1.0 and I know there's a 1.1 and 1.2 as well.

Well if you can attach a larger fan then you can get more airflow for probably a lot less noise.

Interesting, I was not aware any revision 1 boards attempted passive cooling.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

I just bit the bullet and decided to buy the forbidden chewing gum. I can't find that locally, so I'll have to wait a long time for it to arrive.

I really don't want this board to die early on.

A better fan is going to help more than replacing the thermal pad. The temps you're seeing are normal so now your only issue is the fan noise. 

8 minutes ago, Zomeguy said:

I'll see, not sure how pretty an additional full-size fan inside the case would look.

2 minutes ago, josefah said:

For example this is my PCH (Chipset) 
image.png.083859e8e6719343e90dc306fc1a1809.png

In Idle?

I got home and placed a fan blowing straight into the chipset location.

20231206_124848.thumb.jpg.78fa721a46ac4d914d3927718c3ce95f.jpg

These are my temperatures after a few minutes of having the PC on and idling. The columns are in the following order: current, min, max, and avg.

image.png.6446eb611677564a1cbe61bbdadb25ac.png

And they are still rising.

One issue is that your mobo isn't in a case. That's going to improve the airflow as long as your cable management is decent and out of the way. 

Blowing the fan directly onto the heat spreader isn't going to help all that much, heat rises and your memory and GPU are blocking all that air from flowing efficiently. Angle the fan so it blows from the side so it blows underneath the chipset's heat spreader and out the back.  

Even still though it's not running that hot. I encourage you to look up normal chipset temperature ranges and read up on a few sites. 

25 minutes ago, josefah said:

One issue is that your mobo isn't in a case.

I mean, the motherboard was inside a case when I first noticed the issue, and I only took it out to check out why it was getting to 115 °C at some points.

27 minutes ago, josefah said:

Blowing the fan directly onto the heat spreader isn't going to help all that much, heat rises and your memory and GPU are blocking all that air from flowing efficiently. Angle the fan so it blows from the side so it blows underneath the chipset's heat spreader and out the back.  

The heatsink is surrounded by plastic on the side, and I pointed the fan there because that is where the intake of the chipset fan is located. I think these are the most optimal conditions.

I guess I'll just use it until it dies or something.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Interesting, I was not aware any revision 1 boards attempted passive cooling.

ive got an aorus something or other (all the pro, extreme, ultra, whatever is confusing) and its passive and revision 1.0

It's entirely possible it could be due to a botched heatsink install from the factory - I've seen and dealt with it before.

7 hours ago, Yua said:

I just bit the bullet and decided to buy the forbidden chewing gum. I can't find that locally, so I'll have to wait a long time for it to arrive.

I really don't want this board to die early on.

I'm going to call this a good move - If nothing else, after replacing the padding you'll know that shoudn't be a cause of the issue once it's done.
I'll advise the use of acetone if the heatsink has that pink bubblegum on it from the factory to help completely clean it off so the new padding will seat properly to the chipset core once it's in place.
Even if it's just a standard piece of padding I'd still use it to get the chipset core cleaned off so you know it's clean and the padding can get a good "Set" on the core once it gets warm.
Yes, newer chipsets do run warmer than older ones used to and as long as temps are within range it's fine, but at the same time there is nothing wrong with working to see if it can't be made to run a little cooler.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, yaboikirbo said:

ive got an aorus something or other (all the pro, extreme, ultra, whatever is confusing) and its passive and revision 1.0

I have a Gigabyte B550i that is passive and an ASUS X570-F that is active.   The problem with active is they tend to be right under the GPU.  Its an odd choice as due to the fan it makes the heatsink tiny, I'd think a bigger heatsink getting air off the GPU and front intake fans would actually run cooler, no idea why so many chose active.

That said, ASUS seem to use a very quiet fan and its only hitting 66C right now under a two-slot 4070 Ti running Folding@Home.  I do have two 140mm Noctua fans and one 120mm in the front intake though.