Newbie has questions about using different PSU cables.

SimplySora_
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

If you want replacement cables you need to buy ones that are designed to be used with the Corsair RMx power supply ("Corsair Type 4" cables).

20 minutes ago, SimplySora_ said:

Can I just get any PCIe to three 8 pin cable and chuck it in there without any issues?

You won't get a single cable with 3 PCIe connectors on it. If you need 3 connectors you will need to use at least 2 cables.

So I've a pretty new PC builder, just built my first tower about a month ago now after switching away from Mac and so far I'm loving it! Just had a question about my power supply, and swapping out cables. So I bought a Radeon 7900XTX, and it didn't come with any kind of PCIe splitter/adapter, which I think is the standard for most GPUs? It also h as three 8 pin connecters, so because of that I ended up needing to use 2 different two pin connections to the power supply, resulting in one end of the cable just not being used and hanging under the GPU all ugly. So naturally, I wanna swap it out for something more visually appealing. Only thing is, I've heard from a few sources that you shouldn't swap around PSU cables with cables not meant for your specific unit because it can harm it, but I also know custom cables are a very common thing. Am I getting my wires crossed, or is there information that I'm missing? Can I just get any PCIe to three 8 pin cable and chuck it in there without any issues? Or should I stick with 2 separate cables? Not sure how much power can go through just one and this GPU naturally consumes a lot of power, so I wanted to ask and get a crystal clear answer because risking anything. It sounds like a basic question but hard to phrase in a simple Google search. Thanks in advance! 

More important question: what PSU are you using?

To answer your first question, extensions that plug from the end of the OEM cable into the board or component don't need to be made custom. If you're going to plug the new cable directly into the PSU and into the component, replacing the OEM cable entirely, it needs to be designed for your specific PSU, as different PSUs have different pinouts, and a 12V+ charge going to a ground wire could...well...yeah. New PSU, probably new PC, maybe even new house if you really muck it up.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

More important question: what PSU are you using?

To answer your first question, extensions that plug from the end of the OEM cable into the board or component don't need to be made custom. If you're going to plug the new cable directly into the PSU and into the component, replacing the OEM cable entirely, it needs to be designed for your specific PSU, as different PSUs have different pinouts, and a 12V+ charge going to a ground wire could...well...yeah. New PSU, probably new PC, maybe even new house if you really muck it up.

Gotcha, also I have a Corsair RM1000X

If you want replacement cables you need to buy ones that are designed to be used with the Corsair RMx power supply ("Corsair Type 4" cables).

20 minutes ago, SimplySora_ said:

Can I just get any PCIe to three 8 pin cable and chuck it in there without any issues?

You won't get a single cable with 3 PCIe connectors on it. If you need 3 connectors you will need to use at least 2 cables.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Got it! That was my biggest question. Thanks!

Splitters should be universal but they're not ideal because they can put too much draw on the connector. Don't use modular cables from the wrong PSU: it's possible to check the pinout, but even the most experienced builders can mess that up and if you're asking you probably don't want to mess with checking pins and voltages.