Popping Sound

Hey LTT,

Two things, one I just noticed the sub title for this sub-forum, many laughs where heard :D

Now the main thing is, I built my PC the other night and I thought all was well. Until I bumped the 24pin cable and the computer crashed. Now before I started fiddling with the PC I grabbed my earth strap and attached it to my power supply.

Now here is where it get's confusing. When I put the clip onto the PSU the fan was still spinning and I didn't relise it and the clip hit the fan (it was spinning down).

I figured out there was too much pressure on the psu connectors and routed the cables a different way and all was good, now when I turn on the PC I get a loud pop sounding.

Everything works as it should I didn't smell anything burning or see any noticable damage?

Any thoughts? Most people on the internet seem to have an issue where it pops and doesn't boot but mine does?

Many thanks to all those that help

Is that pop coming from your speakers or what?

Is that pop coming from your speakers or what?

Somewhere in the PC, I can't isolate it well by hearing

I don't understand what could cause it? Maybe a cable not seated right or maybe something is hitting the fan? The case is the Silverstone FT02 which I am tempoarily using....

Try to take out the power supply and do a visual test on it. Get a torchlight and see if there's any visible burn mark inside. Then get a paper clip and try to do a jump start and see if the psu fan is spinning. If it's a semi passive psu, get a molex to 3 pin adapter and connect any case fan to it and see if it works or not.

Try to take out the power supply and do a visual test on it. Get a torchlight and see if there's any visible burn mark inside. Then get a paper clip and try to do a jump start and see if the psu fan is spinning. If it's a semi passive psu, get a molex to 3 pin adapter and connect any case fan to it and see if it works or not.

I'll take it out next chance I get, I'm lookng past the fan at the circuit board right? see if anything is blown?. The fan is spinning fine - it's not semi passive does that mean I still need to do the jump start?

This is one thing I wasn't expecting

Optimus Prime, on 19 May 2014 - 5:45 PM, said:

I'll take it out next chance I get, I'm lookng past the fan at the circuit board right? see if anything is blown?. The fan is spinning fine - it's not semi passive does that mean I still need to do the jump start?

This is one thing I wasn't expecting

If the fan spins,no need for that. If there's no visible damage inside the psu, and everything works as normal, i think the psu is be fine. Does the pop happens evertime you power up?

If the fan spins,no need for that. If there's no visible damage inside the psu, and everything works as normal, i think the psu is be fine. Does the pop happens evertime you power up?

Yes, everytime I have (3 - 4 times). Kinda hesitant though since I don't want to fry all my components...

Optimus Prime, on 19 May 2014 - 6:36 PM, said:

Yes, everytime I have (3 - 4 times). Kinda hesitant though since I don't want to fry all my components...

Ok.plug out all your speakers/headphones, dvd drive, gpu (if you motherboard or cpu has igpu), all hdd/ssd, case fans, waterpump(if you have custom loop,use stock heatsink first). If possible, assemble your pc outside the case,and try to listen for the pop sound source when you turn it on (motherboard and psu).  If nothing happen,then put back your gpu in and listen again. This way you can isolate from where the sound came and possibly limit any damage that might occur to other components.

Also,if you're worried,try to jump start just the psu first and isolate the pop sound if any.

Hmmm

Just turned it on than and the pop is gone and now its almost a ticking sound coming from near the psu.

Turned off and booted again for good luck and nothing..... no boot, no display.

Hard reset via power button. Reset wasnt working

Powered on and over clock failed.. all I did was set xmp......

Edit: it "ticked" each time

Just reset and I am into desktop, this is so frustrating

Do you have a sound card? Sound cards have relays that click and pop, its very nice once you learn to love it.

Do you have a sound card? Sound cards have relays that click and pop, its very nice once you learn to love it.

No, its just the onboard sound on the R4BE

Ok.plug out all your speakers/headphones, dvd drive, gpu (if you motherboard or cpu has igpu), all hdd/ssd, case fans, waterpump(if you have custom loop,use stock heatsink first). If possible, assemble your pc outside the case,and try to listen for the pop sound source when you turn it on (motherboard and psu). If nothing happen,then put back your gpu in and listen again. This way you can isolate from where the sound came and possibly limit any damage that might occur to other components.

Also,if you're worried,try to jump start just the psu first and isolate the pop sound if any.

So I need to dissamble my pc...sigh. I won't be able to do that until the weekend

Optimus Prime, on 19 May 2014 - 8:19 PM, said:

So I need to dissamble my pc...sigh. I won't be able to do that until the weekend

You dont need to take everything out from the case if you dont want to. It is just to make it easier for you to locate the noise source if they are outside the case.

You dont need to take everything out from the case if you dont want to. It is just to make it easier for you to locate the noise source if they are outside the case.

Yeah, the fto2 is a pain in but, should have bought another case.....

Ill try tommorow, its 11:00pm here

Yeah, the fto2 is a pain in but, should have bought another case.....

Ill try tommorow, its 11:00pm here

So I narrowed the sound to either the gpu, case fan or maybe its coming from the mobo but its not likely from what I'm hearing.

Im gonna check the cabling and see if its shorting and disconnect the suspect fan to see whether its the gpu or case fan.

I also suspect there might be a short because sometimes it fails to post at all, fans just spin up