What happens to my old computer after a license transfer

SephiRock
Go to solution Solved by aisle9,

It explodes.

Nah, if anything happens at all, it'll be that your Windows key is stripped from that PC and your Windows install becomes unlicensed. And tbqh, Microsoft isn't exactly batting 1.000 on actually deactivating the old computer's Windows license.

And then it explodes.

Hello !

I'm getting a brand new PC soon, and plan to transfer my windows licence to it.
I think it's a retail key, so i should've no problem doing so.
Microsoft tells me that i must link my license to my microsoft account, and then do a bunch of stuff on my new computer to get my license recognized.
That i understand.
But, what'll happen to my old PC once it's done ? Will it still boot ? Like, can i just still use it or is my license transfer going to make it unusable ?

Thank you !

It explodes.

Nah, if anything happens at all, it'll be that your Windows key is stripped from that PC and your Windows install becomes unlicensed. And tbqh, Microsoft isn't exactly batting 1.000 on actually deactivating the old computer's Windows license.

And then it explodes.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

14 minutes ago, SephiRock said:

Hello !

I'm getting a brand new PC soon, and plan to transfer my windows licence to it.
I think it's a retail key, so i should've no problem doing so.
Microsoft tells me that i must link my license to my microsoft account, and then do a bunch of stuff on my new computer to get my license recognized.
That i understand.
But, what'll happen to my old PC once it's done ? Will it still boot ? Like, can i just still use it or is my license transfer going to make it unusable ?

Thank you !

Assuming it is a retail key you can find you product key by opening an administrator command prompt and entering

"wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey". You can use this key to activate your new install assuming it is Windows 10 or 11.

I don't think you need to link it to your Microsoft account.

Your original install will be deactivated but will still run just fine.

35 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

It explodes.

And then it explodes.

my computer exploded after following ur advice pls send rtx 6090 

2 hours ago, NF-A12x25 said:

my computer exploded after following ur advice pls send rtx 6090 

Dude, I told you that would happen. No RTX 6090 for you.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.