Would you return a TV over this backlight bleed?

Ace McPlane
Go to solution Solved by johnt,
1 hour ago, Ace McPlane said:

It’s this one.

Samsung q80c

https://www.samsung.com/ca/tvs/qled-tv/q80c-65-inch-qled-4k-smart-tv-qn65q80cafxzc

22% off same as this 

Abso-effing-lutely not living with it. The 80 series is a pinch below the top of the line LED. And since they don't make a 90 series LED, this 80 is the top of the line LED.

I would definitely replace it.

IMG_5648.thumb.jpeg.f3a4b9fcb919f3cbf9c07a4cbaa688f1.jpeg
It’s like the bezel isn’t stuck down enough or uneven in that area causing significant flashlighting.

its pretty noticeable whenever that dimming zone is lit by something on a black screen like a watermark on a YouTube video.

Is this typical?

will it get worse or better over time?

1 minute ago, Ace McPlane said:

IMG_5648.thumb.jpeg.f3a4b9fcb919f3cbf9c07a4cbaa688f1.jpeg
It’s like the bezel isn’t stuck down enough or uneven in that area causing significant flashlighting.

its pretty noticeable whenever that dimming zone is lit by something on a black screen like a watermark on a YouTube video.

Is this typical?

will it get worse or better over time?

Backlight bleed might get better over time as the edges around the TV/Monitor will loosen up over time.

This doesn't really look like very bad bleed compared to many other samples, the bleed on this is in a very little area, however it is quite bright.

Its totaly up to you if you want to return it, I went through 12 Monitors to find one I found acceptable.

Depends. How much did you pay for it and what brand is it? Unfortunately this is pretty common with extremely contrasting graphics like a white cursor on a black background.

1 hour ago, johnt said:

Depends. How much did you pay for it and what brand is it? Unfortunately this is pretty common with extremely contrasting graphics like a white cursor on a black background.

It’s this one.

Samsung q80c

https://www.samsung.com/ca/tvs/qled-tv/q80c-65-inch-qled-4k-smart-tv-qn65q80cafxzc

22% off same as this 

Personally, I couldn't live with that and would return it. I still rock a Panasonic ZT plasma and LG OLED so I am pretty picky about those types of things. I couldn't stand it on my computer monitor and have a Dell OLED there now too.

1 hour ago, Ace McPlane said:

It’s this one.

Samsung q80c

22% off same as this 

Abso-effing-lutely not living with it. The 80 series is a pinch below the top of the line LED. And since they don't make a 90 series LED, this 80 is the top of the line LED.

5 minutes ago, johnt said:

FWIW, its an LCD with LED backlighting, like any other TV that isn't OLED. The Q80C series is actually not super amazing, especially in its local dimming / HDR. Bad blooming around objects, like that mouse cursor. Their top of the line LCD based TV's are the QN800 and QN900 series displays. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80c-q80-q80cd-qled

5 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

FWIW, its an LCD with LED backlighting, like any other TV that isn't OLED. The Q80C series is actually not super amazing, especially in its local dimming / HDR. Bad blooming around objects, like that mouse cursor. Their top of the line LCD based TV's are the QN800 and QN900 series displays. 

Thanks for the clarification. I'm over trying to keep up with Samsung's naming conventions. The QN800/900 didn't even show up for me when I browsed their site to see which model is "better." I got stuck at QLED and Neo QLED and just LED. Geezes.

I had such a bad experience with my 2016 Samsung, but it's been amazingly reliable after I got a set top box. Back then, anything with an 8 in it from Samsung was a higher end panel. Obviously that's changed.

38 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

It’s not just the blooming. I’m just using the mouse to activate the backlight in that picture. Here’s another one without the mouse IMG_5649.thumb.jpeg.48475d36eb0c573dea6b71a3f9c1abb6.jpeg

1 minute ago, Ace McPlane said:

It’s not just the blooming. I was already aware of that drawback. I’m actually just using the mouse to activate the backlight in that picture. Here’s another one without the mouse 

Yeah thats pretty bad. The thing is I can't say if you get another of the same model it won't look exactly the same. That rtings review for black uniformity, you can see around edge almost what you're seeing. 

uniformity-large.jpg

7 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Yeah thats pretty bad. The thing is I can't say if you get another of the same model it won't look exactly the same. That rtings review for black uniformity, you can see around edge almost what you're seeing. 

uniformity-large.jpg

That sucks. Honestly, I miss big bezels. Never had a problem with this 10 years ago. Ugh, it’s between this one and the q70c with the Batman logo style splotchy blacks which is even worse IMO

The only other model in my price point is a QNED by LG.

120hz and freesync or gsync are already pricy enough features. Def can’t afford to go OLED. All of the Black Friday sales are about to end too. spending way too much money to put up with so many issues either way. I’m tempted to downgrade to a TCL or something. Why pay for brand name if you get issues like this?

19 minutes ago, Ace McPlane said:

That sucks. Honestly, I miss big bezels. Never had a problem with this 10 years ago. Ugh, it’s between this one and the q70c with the Batman logo style splotchy blacks which is even worse IMO

The only other model in my price point is a QNED by LG.

120hz and freesync or gsync are already pricy enough features. Def can’t afford to go OLED. All of the Black Friday sales are about to end too. spending way too much money to put up with so many issues either way. I’m tempted to downgrade to a TCL or something. Why pay for brand name if you get issues like this?

For that price range, something like a Hisense U8K is fantastic. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u8-u8k 

https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-65-Inch-Mini-LED-Google-65U8K/dp/B0C73JDM1X?th=1

2 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Not finding that one at Best Buy Canada sadly. They’ve only got the 65U78KM 

It doesn’t say anything about having freesync or gsync. Tried the Amazon page too. Unless they’re just not listing it, I guess it’s a no go. Got to at least have freesync.  

I returned it for the same one. Checked the replacement in store and it doesn’t look like it has it too. I think the other one was defective.  Hard to tell under bright store lights if the new one is good. This is my last replacement before I can only return it so wish me luck.

The new one has some backlight bleed too 😒

I’m hoping it goes away, but the one before it had another issue where it looked like shaded vertical lines. Idk how to describe it, but if you were playing a game that was blue or light grey and you panned around, you saw a colour difference right in the middle of the screen that looked like a subtle line. Hated that, so might just put up with the backlight bleed and just be happy that even worse issue is gone. The bleed is more towards the centre of the screen now though so that sucks.

IMG_5679.jpeg

image.jpeg

The new one has some backlight bleed too 😒

IMG_5679.thumb.jpeg.ab6633599057a1226f9b0f54ad5729d4.jpeg

I’m hoping it goes away, but the one before it had another issue where it looked like shaded vertical lines. Idk how to describe it, but if you were playing a game that was blue or light grey and you panned around, you saw a colour difference right in the middle of the screen that looked like a subtle line. Hated that, so might just put up with the backlight bleed and just be happy that even worse issue is gone. The bleed is more towards the centre of the screen now though so that sucks.

edit: crud, found another spot at the top left hand corner: IMG_5694.thumb.jpeg.224ef0319147e99550ca5b1b28c69599.jpeg