I actually think YTs new ad strategy will be net positive in the end

Spindel

This because finally it might make it possible to find ”how-to”:s in written format since all the ads make them even more useless. 

I hate that for a couple of years everything has to be in a video, it’s slower and more cumbersome to navigate than a written instruction. 

2 hours ago, Spindel said:

I hate that for a couple of years everything has to be in a video,

Good to know I'm not the only one.

I'd rather follow tutorials at my own pace and have the ability to easily backtrack and copy & paste things. Instead I get to scrub through a 30 minute intro and a guy stumbling over his words for an hour, to find the 5 second clip that contains what I actually needed to know.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

My opinion on video vs text for guides/how to:

What I prefer depend a lot on what's it's about and what I want from it. If I just want a quick thing about how to change some setting/tweak(bad example), text is obviously better.

But when I for example needed to look up how to change chain on a bike some years ago, I preferred video.

Another example would be when I started getting interested in photography, I preferred videos for tips to take better photos or similar, but looking up camera specs and feature tips was better in written form.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

honestly, same. there has been so many times where i just need to find a quick set of instructions for a task...but instead the only results are 2 minute videos, where the first 15 seconds is a dubstep intro, then 30 seconds of welcoming me to the video and to subscribe to them even though they only have like 200 subs and haven't posted in years.

let me just follow dot points on a webpage, not watch you type out instructions on a notepad on your desktop because you dont have/want to use a mic....

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

My opinion on video vs text for guides/how to:

What I prefer depend a lot on what's it's about and what I want from it. If I just want a quick thing about how to change some setting/tweak(bad example), text is obviously better.

But when I for example needed to look up how to change chain on a bike some years ago, I preferred video.

Another example would be when I started getting interested in photography, I preferred videos for tips to take better photos or similar, but looking up camera specs and feature tips was better in written form.

Don’t get me wrong, a short video clip (or animated gif) to visualize a tricky thing in a written instruction is a great tool. But the entire guide does not need to be a video. 

And with short clips you don’t need youtube, might as well host and embed the video yourself. 

Yep, as you said, a video can be great, but the worst is when you just need a reminder of where a software setting is, or what the setting is called, and the top bunch of results are a video.... ugh.