Suggestions to finalyze AM5 Build

draane
Go to solution Solved by will0hlep,
3 minutes ago, draane said:

Budget (including currency): 1800-2000 Euros

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  The machine will be used mainly for coding, virtual machines, various network/binary analysis (CyberSecurity stuff), so at least 32GB of ram is a requirement. Also some gaming: my main game is CounterStrike, then some other lighter games, but mainly because I'm not able to run better games at the moment.

Other details: Buying everything this week to take advantages of the discounts. I run linux so I prefer amd for the GPU due to better driver compatibility. Also I don't care about RGB-stuff, a build with not too many lights is actually appreciated.

Hi, my new build is almost finalized. I'd need a suggestion for motherboard and PSU wattage (is 750W enough?). For the GPU, I can find the RX 6900 XT used for about 600€, which seems a better value than the RX 7800 XT for the same price new.

Also, will the NH-D15 be enough for the R9 7900X? If not, can you suggest an AIO that will fit in the case? I've been considering the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360, but I've read mixed comments on whether it fits in the Corsair 4000D Airflow.

Budget wise, I could go up to 2000€, but I'd prefer to stay closer to 1800€ in order to have some money left for a new keyboard.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://fi.pcpartpicker.com/list/KmQRz6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€409.90 @ Proshop)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  (€119.90 @ Jimm's)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  (€189.90 @ Proshop)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  (€127.99 @ Proshop)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€119.90 @ Datatronic)
Video Card: Asus TUF Radeon RX 6900XT 16 GB Video Card  (€600.00)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  (€66.66 @ Proshop)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Platinum 750 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€189.90 @ Datatronic)
Total: €1824.15

Thanks!

https://fi.pcpartpicker.com/list/6qQw7R

I'd swap the NH-D15 for a ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 (AIOs over 240mm have deminishing returns)

I think 750W is too close for comfort, I suggest a SeaSonic FOCUS GX 850W

You could get a 6950 XTX or a 7900XT in your budget

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  The machine will be used mainly for coding, virtual machines, various network/binary analysis (CyberSecurity stuff), so at least 32GB of ram is a requirement. Also some gaming: my main game is CounterStrike, then some other lighter games, but mainly because I'm not able to run better games at the moment.

Other details: Buying everything this week to take advantages of the discounts. I run linux so I prefer amd for the GPU due to better driver compatibility. I'm planning to run 2 2k monitors. Also I don't care about RGB-stuff, a build with not too many lights is actually appreciated.

Hi, my new build is almost finalized. I'd need a suggestion for motherboard and PSU wattage (is 750W enough?). For the GPU, I can find the RX 6900 XT used for about 600€, which seems a better value than the RX 7800 XT for the same price new.

Also, will the NH-D15 be enough for the R9 7900X? If not, can you suggest an AIO that will fit in the case? I've been considering the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360, but I've read mixed comments on whether it fits in the Corsair 4000D Airflow.

Budget wise, I could go up to 2000€, but I'd prefer to stay closer to 1800€ in order to have some money left for a new keyboard.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  (€119.90 @ Jimm's)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  (€189.90 @ Proshop)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  (€127.99 @ Proshop)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€119.90 @ Datatronic)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Platinum 750 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€189.90 @ Datatronic)

Thanks!

Other details: Buying everything this week to take advantages of the discounts. I run linux so I prefer amd for the GPU due to better driver compatibility. Also I don't care about RGB-stuff, a build with not too many lights is actually appreciated.

Thanks!

https://fi.pcpartpicker.com/list/6qQw7R

I'd swap the NH-D15 for a ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 (AIOs over 240mm have deminishing returns)

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

NH-D15 be enough for the R9 7900X

Enough? It's overkill. I think max for air cooler is $50, Ryzen is relatively cooler than Intel, and doesn't need high end heatsinks.

7 minutes ago, draane said:

The machine will be used mainly for coding, virtual machines, various network/binary analysis (CyberSecurity stuff), so at least 32GB of ram is a requirement.

Go for 64, if mainly for working and especially for VM.

8 minutes ago, draane said:

Also some gaming: my main game is CounterStrike, then some other lighter games, but mainly because I'm not able to run better games at the moment.

8 minutes ago, draane said:

This is overkill for "light gaming", max i would put a 3060 / RX6600xt instead, spend the rest for say more cores (for VM).

10 minutes ago, draane said:

I suggest getting 500-1tb for main drive to keep it simple, 1tb ssd for VM, and a big HDD for storage.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

26 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Thanks for the suggestions

24 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

At least here, the 7900XT is +300€ more and the 6950XT seems a bit difficult to find. Also I think the 6900XT is already more than enough for what I need.

27 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Enough? It's overkill. I think max for air cooler is $50, Ryzen is relatively cooler than Intel, and doesn't need high end heatsinks.

Are you sure? From what I saw from bench & reviews this last gen likes to run very hot

28 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

At the moment I don't have workflows that require 64GB, but I'll consider it

35 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

This is overkill for "light gaming", max i would put a 3060 / RX6600xt instead, spend the rest for say more cores (for VM).

I'd like to be able to play some heavier games as well with this build, so I'd like a bit better card. I'll see if I can fit the 7950X in the budget for some extra cores, but I might have to keep that as a future upgrade.

38 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I suggest getting 500-1tb for main drive to keep it simple, 1tb ssd for VM, and a big HDD for storage.

Currently I have a 1tb drive that's already full, so 2tb are really needed, but I'm planning to get a large HDD in the future if I'll have the need.

Thanks for the suggestions 👍

39 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I've found you can actually get a bit more out of the R9 7900X with an AIO in all core loads, so I think an AIO can be worth it (provided it is on the cheaper end of the scale)

39 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

This is a good point

41 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I don't recommend the 3060 or 6600XT as they only have 8GB of Vram and that has become super limited, Plus at their price tags their are better options on the used markets.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

1 minute ago, draane said:

Are you sure? From what I saw from bench & reviews this last gen likes to run very hot

It dosn't run hot at all, just hotter than last gen, but it still runs pretty cool. As I said above, if you run all cores on full blast you might unlock a little extra performance with an AIO or an NH-D15, but it's not worth spending too much money on. 🙂

He/Him

5 minutes ago, draane said:

Currently I have a 1tb drive that's already full

What i would do, install only windows and apps on disk 1 (keep your current drive), Relocate documents and VM to the second one (the new one).

Schedule regular backups for the boot drive once a week with macrium, that's why i use smaller boot drive for faster backup and space saving on the hdd.

10 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

I don't recommend the 3060 or 6600XT as they only have 8GB of Vram and that has become super limited, Plus at their price tags their are better options on the used markets.

Yeah the used market is great. Plenty of miners offloading their failed investments lol.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

32 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

It dosn't run hot at all, just hotter than last gen, but it still runs pretty cool. As I said above, if you run all cores on full blast you might unlock a little extra performance with an AIO or an NH-D15, but it's not worth spending too much money on.

Alright thanks.

24 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

What i would do, install only windows and apps on disk 1 (keep your current drive), Relocate documents and VM to the second one (the new one).

Schedule regular backups for the boot drive once a week with macrium, that's why i use smaller boot drive for faster backup and space saving on the hdd.

The current pc will be used for other things, so I cannot use the current drive (also it's a sata drive). And I already have a nas/storage server that I use for full backups.

21 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yeah the used market is great. Plenty of miners offloading their failed investments lol.

Ahaha yeah that's pretty much the only reason why I'm going for the 6900XT.

One last thing, do you have suggestions for a motherboard? I selected the one in the list pretty much only for the price, but I don't know if the other chipset, or simply a different board would be better.

4 minutes ago, draane said:

Alright thanks.

The current pc will be used for other things, so I cannot use the current drive (also it's a sata drive). And I already have a nas/storage server that I use for full backups.

Ahaha yeah that's pretty much the only reason why I'm going for the 6900XT.

One last thing, do you have suggestions for a motherboard? I selected the one in the list pretty much only for the price, but I don't know if the other chipset, or simply a different board would be better.

Board is fine if it has all the features you need (although I would suggest getting a board without Wi-Fi and then buying a seperate Wi-Fi card to save $30-40). B650 is a great chipset to be on.

He/Him