New build, want a second opinion

AndrewZScorpion

Budget (including currency): $600 (+$1000 for a GPU, but I think I'll wait)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: F1, Forza, Civ 6, older/less demanding games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  ($270.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 PG Velocita ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($157.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $554.88

Have a case, PSU, and storage that I'll bring over from my old system, as well as my 6700 XT if I don't get a new GPU now.

Upgrading because my current computer (10600K/6700 XT) has decided it no longer wants to work properly and I was already thinking about upgrading in the next year anyhow.

My rationale for each of the parts:

MOBO: High-end "last gen" (as far as I am aware Z690 and Z790 are barely different apart from memory support, if I'm wrong, let me know) board that has all the features I want and is super cheap (~$200 less than any comparable AM5 board I saw). The MSI MPG Z690 FORCE WIFI also looks good, but I'm not sure if it's worth another $30. Thoughts?

CPU: Well over $50 cheaper than the other intel CPUs I would consider (13700K, 14600K, 14700K), and the MOBO is so cheap that it makes AMD look unattractive to me right now.

Cooler: Other coolers that perform similarly to it are 2-3x the price and should easily be capable of handling just about anything.

RAM: I hope to keep this for at least my next build, and from the reviews I've seen this kit has good overclocking potential. Don't think I'll do anything that would require 64GB. Also, do you think going for a faster binned kit would be a good idea? They're not that much more expensive, but if I can save money, why not?

GPU (or lack thereof): My 6700 XT is currently just enough for me, and with the 40 Super series seemingly on the horizon, I want to see how the 4070 Ti Super and 4080 Super look and the impact they have on 7900 XT(X) prices.

If I were to buy now I think I would go for a 7900 XT or XTX, not sure which though. (don't like that the 4070 Ti only has 12GB of VRAM and the 4080 is too expensive)

Will be buying in the next week.

Thanks in advance!

30 minutes ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

MOBO: High-end "last gen" (as far as I am aware Z690 and Z790 are barely different apart from memory support, if I'm wrong, let me know) board that has all the features I want and is super cheap (~$200 less than any comparable AM5 board I saw). The MSI MPG Z690 FORCE WIFI also looks good, but I'm not sure if it's worth another $30. Thoughts?

I'd probably just go for the Force, since I'm a bit more comfortable in MSI's BIOS and the PCIe layout is a bit better, though realistically both are very solid options and you wouldn't really go wrong either way. 

31 minutes ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

RAM: I hope to keep this for at least my next build, and from the reviews I've seen this kit has good overclocking potential. Don't think I'll do anything that would require 64GB. Also, do you think going for a faster binned kit would be a good idea? They're not that much more expensive, but if I can save money, why not?

If you are going to do memory overclocking, it's not likely to be worth it. Hynix based memory ICs are very consistent, where the biggest difference between them is at a given voltage 2-3 ticks on any of the primary timings. The only reason I might go for something different is because A) The 6000 CL30/32 kits are still possible to be Hynix M die (still really good, but not as good as the A die kits found on 6400+ rated kits) and B) the RGB kits tend to run hotter than the non-RGB kits, and since Hynix memory is pretty temperature sensitive it would overclock worse than the cheaper non-RGB kits. Also, just because a kit is 6000 CL30 doesn't mean that it is guaranteed M die (my 6000 CL30 kit is A die, and rather good A die at that), it's just more likely to be M die than a 6400 rated kit. 

If you aren't gonna be overclocking manually, I'd still probably jump to a 6400 CL32 kit, just because they're about the same price and a little faster, but it still doesn't really matter. 

54 minutes ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

MOBO

ooof, I've personally only had bad experiences with ASrock, MSI on the other hand has been rock solid. I've deployed nearly 25 of them (especially the PRO-A series) personally and for friends and had zero problems and no negative feedback. But YMMV

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1 hour ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

CPU: Well over $50 cheaper than the other intel CPUs I would consider (13700K, 14600K, 14700K), and the MOBO is so cheap that it makes AMD look unattractive to me right now.

Board is fine, id stick with the pg velocita

Might even be able to find a used 13600k and save abit of cash with some ppl that upgraded to the 14700k or something

1 hour ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

Youll want hynix a dies in that case

M die is decent but tops out at a mere 7200 ish which will be laughably slow in a few years time similar to how ddr4 hynix m die (mfr) tops out at 3200-3466 and is now considered pretty damn slow

for guaranteed hynix a die look for a generic 6400c32 bin if you arent buying klevv or hynix branded sticks

or if you wanna potentially save abit of cash and without a shadow of a doubt be guaranteed hynix a dies look for hynix hmcg78aebua081n (4800c40 hynix a die), hmcg78agbua081/084n (5600c46 hynix a die), or klevv kd5agua80-56g460d (also 5600c46 hynix a die)

Oem hynix sticks part numbers represent what ic is present on the sticks so if you buy aebua/agbua then thats guaranteed hynix a die, klevv is a part of hynix so theyre guaranteed to be hynix

If you wanna hit 8000+ now youll problably have to bin your cpu cause apparently 13th gen imcs vary alot and some of them are complete garbage

@RONOTHAN## has some experience with ddr5 so for oc tips just ask him, im only good at dissecting part numbers to get guaranteed ram ics for dirt cheap and my experience only goes as far as ddr3 with abit of knowledge regarding ddr4 and some rather basic info on ddr5 cause used hynix a dies dont seem to be very cheap nor widely available atm