Inaccessible Boot Device after CPU upgrade

Terrorgod

Hello LTT forum. After a few days of intermittent troubleshooting, I am starting to run out of ideas and really hope someone else has seen this issue.

Recently I was able to acquire a 13700k and opted it would be cool to upgrade the 12700k in my rig to it. My motherboard is a Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus D4 with the latest 2802 bios so I figured this would be a slot in upgrade. I get a post and can reach bios no issue after slotting in the new CPU. However, after slotting in the new CPU the bios doesn't seem to properly recognize any of my drives. Right after I slot in the new CPU, the AMI page shows them as existing, but once I get into the advance menu they do not appear under NVMe devices or the HDD section. I can still see the Samsung 980 Pro as a boot path, but after a few spins of the windows circle, it always errors out saying inaccessible boot device. Putting in the old CPU, everything works again and I can boot into windows 11. 

I have tried resetting the bios settings by removing the CMOS battery and clicking the load optimize defaults option to no success. I disabled the RAID 1 I had set in windows and removed an extra NVMe drive in case I ran out of PCIe lanes to no dice. I reseated the CPU in the midst of going back and forth and each time and the old one continues to work so don't think its a physical issue at least with the board (can't rule out the CPU yet). Worst is that I was about to give up and tried doing a fresh install of windows after seeing someone with an AMD CPU post something similar and never finding a solution, and none of the drives were visible in the installer. 

At a real loss for something  I thought would be a slot in upgrade. Is there some low key issue with 13th gen on Z690 where sometimes they just don't detect storage devices, or do I potentially have a defective CPU? Last thing I can think of trying is maybe rolling back a single BIOS in the event the 14th gen update borked something recursively, but it will have to wait until tomorrow. 

well i'd say just run the 12700k seeing as it works and sell the 13700k

well thats an odd one given that you can see the drives and the with old cpu put back in windows boots, as usually when a new cpu goes in board recognises new cpu, says press f1 to configure bios etc, normally its been reset due to new cpu and therefore have to configure settings i.e. csm/uefi/secureboot/xmp etc..

As a last resort before leaning towards cpu issue, I would stick the 13th in and do a bios flash, then set boots up etc.

9 hours ago, aledsav1 said:

well thats an odd one given that you can see the drives and the with old cpu put back in windows boots, as usually when a new cpu goes in board recognises new cpu, says press f1 to configure bios etc, normally its been reset due to new cpu and therefore have to configure settings i.e. csm/uefi/secureboot/xmp etc..

As a last resort before leaning towards cpu issue, I would stick the 13th in and do a bios flash, then set boots up etc.

Ill give this a shot after I get out of work and see where it lands me. 

Welp gave it a fair shot today, tried the latest 2 BIOS revisions to no luck. Tried various other settings with CSM on / off, attempting to repair windows, another attempt at re-install, and disabling intel rapid storage but no luck. Got scared as I guess in all the bios setting switches, I almost corrupted my old install when I put the 12700k and it took a few boots before it would load back in, so I guess im done trying this for now. 

A part of the story I left out is that I did buy another motherboard and have enough components for a HTPC I was gonna slot the 12700k into afterwards, so I tried the 13700k in that system. No issues at all and was able to get a fresh install of windows 11 up to the network screen. 

Still baffled at why I can't just do a slot in upgrade with the first Z690, or even at least do a fresh install with the new CPU, but after not having my PC for a few days guess ill just dwell on it until I find the motivation to try more tinkering with it.

Guess next step would be to nag asus customer support....