Disabling Right click

BiotechBen

Hey guys, 

Helping out an older family member and he asked if there was a way to disable right-click in windows (11). He's got neuropathy in his hands so he bumps right click all the time and it's annoying him. Is there a way to disable right click without doing registry edits?

First thing I can think of is if you've got a fancier mouse that has some sort of software with it, you should be able to unbind that button. Don't think there's an easy way to go about it with a generic mouse though. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

First thing I can think of is if you've got a fancier mouse that has some sort of software with it, you should be able to unbind that button. Don't think there's an easy way to go about it with a generic mouse though. 

I figured as much, it's just a plain old freebie HP mose that's like 6 yrs old.

Any suggestions for a cheap mouse that would be able to do that?

Just now, BiotechBen said:

At least mice that support that aren't that expensive. Something like a G502 or G304 is only ~$35, and should make a fairly decent Christmas gift. 

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

Any suggestions for a cheap mouse that would be able to do that?

If you happen to have one of these laying around, you can make unintentional right clicking more difficult while still having the option.

Apple Wired Mouse MB112LL/B B&H Photo Video

16 hours ago, TheLANguy said:

If you happen to have one of these laying around, you can make unintentional right clicking more difficult while still having the option.

Apple Wired Mouse MB112LL/B B&H Photo Video

This mouse has right-click on it. There is a touch sensor under the outer shell to tell left from right.

If you go with an even older Apple mouse, you can get single-click options. I had one from a G4 iMac that was single click.

@BiotechBen AutoHotKey is an option if you're willing to put some effort into it. You can bind the right-click to an action that does nothing, then have some kind of toggle to flip it on/off, so if he does need it he can still use it at those times. The Mac allows for Control+Click to right click, but I don't think Windows has anything built-in like that, since Windows has had right-click forever.

There are things in Windows hidden behind right-click, which makes it a problem for removing it totally. The reason Macs shipped with a single button mouse for so long was to force developers to not get lazy and hide things in right-click. The single-button mouse forced developers to make all the functions available via a single-click mouse to avoid mystery meat navigation and make everything more discoverable.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be more tempted to place a silicone stopper under the right button to prevent it being depressed.

Easy to remove to return it back to normal use if needed.

Then to use right click functionality (in windows) press Shift + F10 to simulate a right-click

Hope that helps

----------------------------
        Weem