Is it neccesarry to have 2 8pin connectors for a 7950X3D?

Scrakey
Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
16 minutes ago, Scrakey said:

I recently purchased a BeQuiet! Dark Power 12 1000W together with a Aourus x670e Master motherboard for running a 7950X3D proccessor.
The mobo has 2 8pin connectors for the CPU, but the power supply came with only one 8pin connector and another one which is 10pin but the 2 middle leads are vacant.

Should i purchase from Be Quiet another 8pin connector to occupy the second slot?
Are there any issues doing this?

Or can i stick to the single cable?

No, not needed 🙂 The 1x8 pin will supply more than enough power for the 7950X3D 🙂 7950X3D draws around 150w and 1x8 pin CPU is rated for 226w of continous power.

I recently purchased a BeQuiet! Dark Power 12 1000W together with a Aourus x670e Master motherboard for running a 7950X3D proccessor.
The mobo has 2 8pin connectors for the CPU, but the power supply came with only one 8pin connector and another one which is 10pin but the 2 middle leads are vacant.

Should i purchase from Be Quiet another 8pin connector to occupy the second slot?

16 minutes ago, Scrakey said:

No, not needed 🙂 The 1x8 pin will supply more than enough power for the 7950X3D 🙂 7950X3D draws around 150w and 1x8 pin CPU is rated for 226w of continous power.

I'm wondering if even using the extra CPU power cable even actually does anything. It's supose be for overclocking stability but has anyone ever actually tested across different motherboards with Intel and AMD CPUs? Could it be useful if you bought a bad power supply with the CPU power being weak so you had to use the second cable? Or is this just a gimmick for the extra cost? I don't even bother to overclock and just leave PBO, but really want to know since I can't find anything useful videos for this. There are some videos saying we only need 1 cable.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

4 minutes ago, alyen said:

I'm wondering if even using the extra CPU power cable even actually does anything. It's supose be for overclocking stability but has anyone ever actually tested across different motherboards with Intel and AMD CPUs? Could it be useful if you bought a bad power supply with the CPU power being weak so you had to use the second cable? Or is this just a gimmick for the extra cost? I don't even bother to overclock and just leave PBO, but really want to know since I can't find anything useful videos for this. There are some videos saying we only need 1 cable.

I dont plan on overclocking anything on my PC, it has already enough raw power than i actually will need in the near future.
Good question from your part tho

17 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Thank you for the helpfull answer, i was stressing about this a lot in the past couple of days. I didn't want to F up my new shiny toys.

27 minutes ago, alyen said:

I'm wondering if even using the extra CPU power cable even actually does anything

It's a lot more about power stability than anything else. If you have the cables and the ports, it (probably) can't hurt. But definitely not a thing I'd worry about

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

2 hours ago, alyen said:

For most CPU's it truly doesn't matter. A single 8-pin EPS is designed to deliver just north of 300W so unless the CPU is an overclocked recent generation i9, one cable is plenty. 

Current AMD boards have no real reason to have two 8-pin's unless we're going to see a significant power usage increase with future AM5 based CPU's. Right now its mostly a "because we can" and people like to think its helping them and they're willing to pay for that feeling kind of thing. 

46 minutes ago, Scrakey said:

Thank you for the helpfull answer, i was stressing about this a lot in the past couple of days. I didn't want to F up my new shiny toys.

7950x3D will draw ~45W during gaming and ~150W under full all core load like during cinebench R23.

I ran cinebench R23 runs with various CCD configurations to get a good baseline of how the processor behaves. Only caveat being that I use the CPPC preferred cores in 'cache' which provides a lower full 16c/32t configuration single core run since its forcing cinebench to use the 3D v-cache cores. In my opinion, using this setting for a primary gaming system that sometimes experiences heavy all core workloads are dramatically better than relying on AMD's POS driver that is spotty. Another thing to point out is that Processor Affinity in the Details section of Task Manager does allow you to allocate which cores an application can run on, which works while the application is even running. These tests were done with UEFI configured CCDs to actually disable the cores not in use but I have tested various applications using Processor Affinity.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017