WIndows 11 Activation question

Donut417
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,

After looking at a few other post and talking to a friend, it seems that its hit or miss on if Windows 11 will just activate if I log in with my MS account. I also seen some posts that suggests a BIOS update could push Windows in to thinking its on a new machine. Some of those post suggests Microsoft was less than helpful.  So Im just going to stick with 10 for now. Ill reinstall it with TPM and Secure boot enabled. This way If I decide to do an update later I can.

Currently Im running Windows 10. My key is attached to my Microsoft Account. Looking to potentially reinstall Windows after I do a few upgrade. Current install seems a bit borked. I can reinstall Windows 10 or I can install Windows 11. My question is, due to the fact that my key is attached to my Microsoft account will Windows 11 activate? Or do I have to do an in place upgrade to convert the key? Like I had to do when I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If you reinstall it on your pc with the same microsoft account, if you go to settings and then activation you can transfer it from your old installation.

Hope this helps!

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

I've been installing Windows 11 directly with my Windows 10 keys that are tied to my Microsoft account.  (I have not been doing Windows 10 at all anymore)

7 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I've been installing Windows 11 directly with my Windows 10 keys that are tied to my Microsoft account.  (I have not been doing Windows 10 at all anymore)

Wdym?

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

36 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Wdym?

Windows 10 keys work for Windows 11. Just type the Windows 10 key in during the Windows 11 install, it will take it. 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

It should activate even if you don't log in into your MS account. 

How? You need a key or digital license for it to activate. Bare in mind that I would be doing a reformat and install.

35 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Windows 10 keys work for Windows 11. Just type the Windows 10 key in during the Windows 11 install, it will take it. 

Ah yes I see. I was confused as to what you meant lol

24 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It should activate even if you don't log in into your MS account. 

Only if you’re upgrading. This guy is reinstalling 

23 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

How? You need a key or digital license for it to activate. Bare in mind that I would be doing a reformat and install.

I thought you already had previously W11 installed... You will likely need to just enter the key or just login then. 

1 minute ago, GoStormPlays said:

Only if you’re upgrading. This guy is reinstalling 

I'm still half asleep and can't read. 

Just now, WereCat said:

I'm still half asleep and can't read. 

I’m always half asleep

life is fun 

I always have to install Windows 10 and then do the upgrade to 11 for it to be activated. Keys for my 2 custom builds won't work when I install Windows 11 and can not activate it afterwards. I also have a Dell computer that can install with 11 even though it originally had Windows 10.

20 hours ago, WereCat said:

I thought you already had previously W11 installed... You will likely need to just enter the key or just login then. 

No Im currently on Windows 10. Considering a Windows 11 upgrade. I cant do an in place upgrade because TPM and Secure boot and all the jazz that Windows 11 needs is not turned on.

I just know that when I went from 7 to 10 I had to do the in place upgrade to upgrade my Key. Wasnt sure if that was the same with 11.

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

No Im currently on Windows 10. Considering a Windows 11 upgrade. I cant do an in place upgrade because TPM and Secure boot and all the jazz that Windows 11 needs is not turned on.

I just know that when I went from 7 to 10 I had to do the in place upgrade to upgrade my Key. Wasnt sure if that was the same with 11.

Do you have the product key?

8 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

Do you have the product key?

My Windows 7 product key I when I upgraded to 10 is somewhere around here but I dont have it right on hand. Plus I think they closed that loop hole. So really all I have is the digital license attached to my account. I will NOT pay for a Windows 11 key, Ill just continue to use Windows 10 until its no longer supported.

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

My Windows 7 product key I when I upgraded to 10 is somewhere around here but I dont have it right on hand. Plus I think they closed that loop hole. So really all I have is the digital license attached to my account. I will NOT pay for a Windows 11 key, Ill just continue to use Windows 10 until its no longer supported.

Here's a relavent thread from Microsoft Forums that should answer your questions: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1297096/transfer-windows-10-license-to-new-build-windows-1

After looking at a few other post and talking to a friend, it seems that its hit or miss on if Windows 11 will just activate if I log in with my MS account. I also seen some posts that suggests a BIOS update could push Windows in to thinking its on a new machine. Some of those post suggests Microsoft was less than helpful.  So Im just going to stick with 10 for now. Ill reinstall it with TPM and Secure boot enabled. This way If I decide to do an update later I can.