Meta quest 3 worth it?

Kielim

Is the meta quest 3 worth it? 

I've gotten an offer to buy a friend's brother's vr for 183 USD. I've never owned an VR headset but would like something that will last for future games ( I do have a reliable PC that I will use part time with the VR headset) The cheapest price on the quest 3 is approximately 641 USD. I would be able to squeeze out some more money to buy it but it would take some time.

Should I buy the quest 3 over the second hand quest 2?

43 minutes ago, Kielim said:

I've gotten an offer to buy a friend's brother's vr for 183 USD. I've never owned an VR headset but would like something that will last for future games ( I do have a reliable PC that I will use part time with the VR headset) The cheapest price on the quest 3 is approximately 641 USD. I would be able to squeeze out some more money to buy it but it would take some time.

Neither are exactly going to be "future proof" for native gaming, although both should be fine if streaming from the PC.

One key thing however is, have you tried it?  Generally the newer devices get better at reducing nausea, so if you are sensitive then that might be a factor too.

I've honestly been thinking the same as I have a Rift S and don't use it as its a hassle to setup (can't easily get to the back of my PC).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

183 for a Quest 2 is pretty nice, that would be my vote. Especially if you're not fully committed to the idea of VR yet. It's usually fun for a while then you fall off.

1 hour ago, Kielim said:

No VR HMD are futureproof, and one of the sticking points with even investing in VR stuff is literately how fragile and poor product cycle life they have.

If you have never used VR kit before, I'd suggest asking if you could buy the friend's VR kit and see if that's actually what you want. If you invest in a new VR HMD and you hate it, it will be hard to get rid of and recover the investment. It's not like trying to sell a GPU on the second hand market.

That's a pretty good entry price to test the waters, and see if it's something you'll use regularly. Quest 2 is still super solid, and well supported. Plus, I can't imagine you not being able to resell it for over $100 with relative ease (at least for the next couple of years), so the buyers remorse shouldn't be that big if you decided to upgrade 6 months down the line.

Heck, I still use my Quest 1 alongside my Quest 2 (as a 'player 2' headset) and get tons of value out of it. So Quest 2 is still an easy recommend from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Quest 3 has noticeably clearer optics than the 2 thanks to the higher resolution panels and better lenses. This is very useful in flight sims where you need to read small instruments but might not be as important in other types of games.

Quest 3 has a proper IPD adjustment if you don't fit the pre defined IPDs of the Quest 2.

My biggest gripe with the 3 is the power delivery.

Battery life Its much shorter than I'd like even when turning the headset from 120hz to 90hz and turning down the display brightness.

I even picked up a link cable with additional power injection and its still not enough to keep the headset from discharging while playing tethered to the PC.