Which of the cases has the better rust resistance and build quality?

Emonn

Where I live the humidity level is around 70 to 80.So my computer cases get rusted quickly.Although my previous case was chip quality.also buying a dehumidifier is not possible for me now.

I have given the pictures below of the cases which I can afford.Which of the cases has the better rust resistance and build  quality?

Screenshot_2023-11-09-10-54-28-74_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-09-10-53-20-16_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-09-10-52-54-23_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-09-10-52-19-99_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-09-10-51-16-51_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-09-11-15-57-65_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-09-11-15-27-50_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-09-11-15-11-91_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I live in m*therf*cking Florida, within half a mile of the beach. Humidity here is constantly in that range for about half of the year. I've used numerous cases, everything from a Silverstone SG13 to a KXRORS G200 to a crappy old DIYPC steel box, and I have yet to see anything that even vaguely resembles rust. My advice would be not to let fear of rust dictate your choice of case, and instead go with the case you like most.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Unless your room gets constantly flooded or you scratch the paint and spill liquids on your case all the time, I fail to see how it's possible for any PC case to literally just rust like crazy. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I have many old cases placed outside the house, but not one developed rust.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Unless your room gets constantly flooded or you scratch the paint and spill liquids on your case all the time, I fail to see how it's possible for any PC case to literally just rust like crazy. 

My previous two cases have already rusted.  The first one is badly rusted and the second one is starting to rust.  It wasn't an expensive one though

IMG_20231106_142756_Riyan.jpg

IMG_20231109_084336.jpg

I would probably go for the case you like the most, I know you have posted rust there but IF any of these cases rust more than one or the other you have shared I very much doubt its of any quantifiable amount.

So in the UK our humidity is pretty high all year round, we do not have the same heat as Miami, but inside my house now its around 70% and will be most of the winter, even in the summer its usually about 60% also. Ive had a case for about 15 plus years and there is no rust in it at all, it would never sway my decision on a case, ive never even thought about it.

Just go for your favourite one.

8 hours ago, Emonn said:

buying a dehumidifier is not possible for me now.

Dehumidifiers are cheaper than cases. ?????????

2 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Dehumidifiers are cheaper than cases. ?????????

And a dehumidifier along with a case might break the budget.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

11 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I live in m*therf*cking Florida, within half a mile of the beach. Humidity here is constantly in that range for about half of the year. I've used numerous cases, everything from a Silverstone SG13 to a KXRORS G200 to a crappy old DIYPC steel box, and I have yet to see anything that even vaguely resembles rust. My advice would be not to let fear of rust dictate your choice of case, and instead go with the case you like most.

9 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

9 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

I have many old cases placed outside the house, but not one developed rust.

Just the other day a user asked for help on how to remove rust from their case. It was made with SPCC.

@Emonn

I think that if you buy from a major brand you're much less likely to get rust as long as there's no SPCC or other rust- prone metal.

I would suggest you consider how you feel about a manufacturer that tries to lock you into their products as some of those cases may use proprietary connectors. It's not going to be obvious with some of them. Corsair, NZXT and Lian Li are all doing that.  For example, all NZXT D-RGB devices and certain new RGB devices,  newer Lian Li and Corsair devices, and other companies. I'm not sure but I don't think Montech and Antec are doing that.  If you have the option of choosing cases that are not recently made versus newer editions (same or different models) from one of the offending companies, you might avoid the problem but it's important to make sure. Alternatively, you can buy or make adapters to overcome the challenge so you can choose whichever you like the best. Or just not worry about it at all. 😀 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

12 hours ago, naylor2006 said:

I would probably go for the case you like the most, I know you have posted rust there but IF any of these cases rust more than one or the other you have shared I very much doubt its of any quantifiable amount.

So in the UK our humidity is pretty high all year round, we do not have the same heat as Miami, but inside my house now its around 70% and will be most of the winter, even in the summer its usually about 60% also. Ive had a case for about 15 plus years and there is no rust in it at all, it would never sway my decision on a case, ive never even thought about it.

Just go for your favourite one.

Ok..

Corsir  4000d & nzxt h5 flow.this two a like most. but I am confused between them. 

which one do you prefer? 

4 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Just the other day a user asked for help on how to remove rust from their case. It was made with SPCC.

@Emonn

I think that if you buy from a major brand you're much less likely to get rust as long as there's no SPCC or other rust- prone metal.

I would suggest you consider how you feel about a manufacturer that tries to lock you into their products as some of those cases may use proprietary connectors. It's not going to be obvious with some of them. Corsair, NZXT and Lian Li are all doing that.  For example, all NZXT D-RGB devices and certain new RGB devices,  newer Lian Li and Corsair devices, and other companies. I'm not sure but I don't think Montech and Antec are doing that.  If you have the option of choosing cases that are not recently made versus newer editions (same or different models) from one of the offending companies, you might avoid the problem but it's important to make sure. Alternatively, you can buy or make adapters to overcome the challenge so you can choose whichever you like the best. Or just not worry about it at all. 😀 

Ok..

Corsir  4000d & nzxt h5 flow.this two a like most. but I am confused between them. 

which one do you prefer? 

1 hour ago, Emonn said:

Ok..

which one do you prefer? 

Corsair 4000D

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

15 hours ago, Emonn said:

Ok..

which one do you prefer? 

I chose it because the H5 uses SPCC which, if not treated correctly, can rust/oxidize.

Aluminum does not rust.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TL-C12 Pro

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

Aluminum does not rust.

Of course it doesn't. It oxidizes, though, if the surface is damaged. Why do you mention that?

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

Of course it doesn't. It oxidizes, though, if the surface is damaged. Why do you mention that?

He was looking for a case that didnt rust, but to me those flecks that are circled  look like primer. Could be my tv though.

You could just rub off oxidation, rust is another matter though..

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TL-C12 Pro

17 minutes ago, freeagent said:

He was looking for a case that didnt rust, but to me those flecks that are circled  look like primer. Could be my tv though.

You could just rub off oxidation, rust is another matter though..

Could be either primer or pits down to the metal. Some are definitely primer though. That spot where the metal is folded at the corner, though...That looks like rust.

You can rub it off, although if you're going to use, say, an aluminum pan for cooking, once you start seeing the oxidation, let alone pits, it's dangerous to use. But who's going to turn their case into a pan? 😉

On 11/10/2023 at 7:07 PM, RevGAM said:

I chose it because the H5 uses SPCC which, if not treated correctly, can rust/oxidize.

No.

H5 use sgcc not spcc

5 hours ago, Emonn said:

No.

H5 use sgcc not spcc

Eh sorry. SGCC is better than SPCC. SGCC won't rust as long as the surface isn't damaged, exposing the metal underneath the galvanization. I usually see rust on galvanized steel because of scratches and punctures, but if you cut it and don't treat the cut edges,  it will rust there. 

SPCC needs to be coated with protective compounds to prevent oxidation and rust. As long as that's not damaged and is applied before any rust is present, it is ok.

I have the 5000X, so I feel confident that the 4000 won't rust.