Data help

A1_Digest

Hey guys! I have a wd green 3tb hard drive with data and photos on it. It was previously a wd my cloud back up device but I took the harddrive out of that wd my cloud. When connecting the hard drive to my PC it says I need a password and of course I don't know it as this drive is very old. Is there some software I can use to unlock the drive and get the data or a place I can send it to? Thank You

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How is it formatted? Where does it say you need a password? 

Did you encrpt it in the my cloud?

How can I find out how it was formatted? When I turn on the PC a blue screen shows up and it says something like

WDC: Password...................................... (space for me to enter password)

1 minute ago, A1_Digest said:

How can I find out how it was formatted? When I turn on the PC a blue screen shows up and it says something like

WDC: Password...................................... (space for me to enter password)

Is this booted into your OS? It seems like its booting into the drive, you probalby don't want that. I'd boot the system into a linux live disk and see if you can mount the drive there.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is this booted into your OS? It seems like its booting into the drive, you probalby don't want that. I'd boot the system into a linux live disk and see if you can mount the drive there.

As soon as this drive is connected to the PC yes it boots to the blue screen and asks me to enter the hard drive password. How do I boot into a linux live disk sorry I'm new to this. 

14 minutes ago, A1_Digest said:

As soon as this drive is connected to the PC yes it boots to the blue screen and asks me to enter the hard drive password. How do I boot into a linux live disk sorry I'm new to this. 

You should be able to select a differnt drive to boot from in the boot menu on your bios.

Is the drive ata locked? You could try unplugging the drive, booting into the os, then plugging it back in?(Assuming your using ahci mode)

If this doesn't work you might just need to put it back in the my cloud to get the data off it.

19 hours ago, Ryker Robb said:

Is the drive ata locked? You could try unplugging the drive, booting into the os, then plugging it back in?(Assuming your using ahci mode)

If this doesn't work you might just need to put it back in the my cloud to get the data off it.

yes the drive ata is locked when I log back in the drive does not show up in windows 

10 minutes ago, A1_Digest said:

yes the drive ata is locked when I log back in the drive does not show up in windows 

Were you able to access the data when it was in the wd my cloud? Could you simply put it back in the my cloud again to access the data? I technically can't help you bypass an ata lock, as it's against community standards:

"-Discussion on engaging in hacking or cracking is not allowed, including:
Bypassing security features, restrictions, or filters (including parental filters, school restrictions, or workplace monitoring), including on your own device."

9 minutes ago, Ryker Robb said:

Were you able to access the data when it was in the wd my cloud? Could you simply put it back in the my cloud again to access the data? I technically can't help you bypass an ata lock, as it's against community standards:

"-Discussion on engaging in hacking or cracking is not allowed, including:
Bypassing security features, restrictions, or filters (including parental filters, school restrictions, or workplace monitoring), including on your own device."

i no longer have this my cloud as I took it out of there about 6 years ago and just stumbled across this drive this week