The importance of a decent Power supply.

I agree with nix101. You shouldn't be recomending psu just based on the brand itself. Example some of Corsair's and Coolermaster lower tier psu are total junk. You need to look at who the oem is and what platform are they using. You might wanna add this link for others to check who is the oem for any particular model from any brands.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

So CX Series is total junk?

EVGA GTX760 Superclocked (ACX) - i5 4570 - 8GB DDR3 - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue - Corsair CX500 - NZXT Source 210(Black)  - 1x 120mm - Valley Bench http://imgur.com/J4EJnvV

I feel that the recommendation and avoidance of solely brand isn't the best course of action. While many people may buy PSUs based off of branding, that's because they lack the proper knowledge of what makes a good PSU in the first place. So rather than educating them on how to identify a good PSU on an unit by unit basis, the list had instead cause them become dependent on a company with the assumption that they will be getting something of some degree of reliability / quality, which has been noted that it may varied depending on the series and the segment that it is targeted at.

Now, I'm not saying that the branding has no merits (the quality of their customer service), but there's the possibility that the company will used their reputation to sell a sub-par unit at a premium because they know people will buy it. For example, you stated that NZXT is a reputable PSU brand thanks to their Hale series. That isn't inaccurate, as the Hale82-M (Seasonic SS-***AT/AM unit), Hale90 (Super Flower Golden Green), and Hale90v2 (FSP custom design) were good units. However, the Hale82-N offer poor ripple suppression and voltage regulation, that it went out of ATX specification, as well as the Hale82v2 was thought to be an upgrade to the Hale82-M series was instead a downgrade.

So I agree with atrash and nix101 post on this.

Wow Such Doge, on 19 May 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

So CX Series is total junk?

Not necessarily total junk. But you can get better ones.

I've got a 4 years old brandless inefficient PSU and it's been fine for me, as long as it works it's fine to me.

I feel that the recommendation and avoidance of solely brand isn't the best course of action. While many people may buy PSUs based off of branding, that's because they lack the proper knowledge of what makes a good PSU in the first place. So rather than educating them on how to identify a good PSU on an unit by unit basis, the list had instead cause them become dependent on a company with the assumption that they will be getting something of some degree of reliability / quality, which has been noted that it may varied depending on the series and the segment that it is targeted at.

Now, I'm not saying that the branding has no merits (the quality of their customer service), but there's the possibility that the company will used their reputation to sell a sub-par unit at a premium because they know people will buy it. For example, you stated that NZXT is a reputable PSU brand thanks to their Hale series. That isn't inaccurate, as the Hale82-M (Seasonic SS-***AT/AM unit), Hale90 (Super Flower Golden Green), and Hale90v2 (FSP custom design) were good units. However, the Hale82-N offer poor ripple suppression and voltage regulation, that it went out of ATX specification, as well as the Hale82v2 was thought to be an upgrade to the Hale82-M series was instead a downgrade.

So I agree with atrash and nix101 post on this.

Not necessarily total junk. But you can get better ones.

Please type up a huge list, and i shall add it to the OP, i simply have no time right now.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Please type up a huge list, and i shall add it to the OP, i simply have no time right now.

Don't have the time to create and manage a list, in which I have to unbiased when regarding brands while updating the listed model when a review had shown up from JG, HWS, TPU, [H], etc. Also keeping track of newer release models even among lesser known brands (Silver Power for example) that needs to be added, as well as discontinued models that should be removed.

You could asked for permission to used OCN list on here if you so wish (it's still in the process of being updated though). Be sure to credit them if you do. http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/faq-recommended-power-supplies

But if you want to have your very own list and don't have time to manage a list, you don't need one to actually served a purposed. The purpose of this thread can just make people aware of the importance of PSU. I mean the first thing about a bad PSU make people thing about is that if you used it, you run the risked of it blowing up and taking out your system. On the other hand, a bad PSU doesn't necessary have to blow up. Remember whatever the PSU outputs, the computer had to deal with it in which poor electrical performance can cause greater wear and tear to your components. Here's a discussion at Jonnyguru with an article by Jonny Gerow of Corsair (founder of JG.com in case you didn't notice) whom link got broken in that thread.

There's other things you may be able to bring up as well. Peak vs Continuous; what does a PSU rated at 25C and 50C mean; why units like the Seasonic X can have the +12v rated for the unit entire rated wattage, whereas the lower wattage Seasonic S12II Bronze 430-620w is rated for lower; etc. You could even bring up the point regarding single rail vs multi-rail and the pro/cons of both.

How about Chieftec? They have quite a few rock solid PSUs, personally I've used a few in different rigs, they lived where the more expensive TT had died on me.