The importance of a decent Power supply.

VmulY6y.jpg

Power supplies are the source to everything in your computer, it powers everything obviously, so here is why it is the item to Never skimp on.

Everything from ripple to 12v amperage can be a great indicator of a PSU's capability, in some cases it can be different.

An example of an outstanding power supply with some very minor issues.

From JonnyGuru.

Performance (40% of the final score) - we come at last to the scoring. There are a number of things I like about this unit, and a number of things that seem rather ordinary to me. I liked the astounding overshoot transient performance. That 3 volt spike on the 12V rail isn't something I expect to see again... most units can't do better than 7V. I also liked the 12V voltage stability - as typical of big Enhance designs, it was quite content to give me 1% numbers the whole time the unit was running. I also liked the lack of heat generated by the unit, translating into lower fan speeds and extended functionality above the forty degree mark. Where this unit starts to slide a bit is in the performance of the minor rails. The 3.3V and 5V rails both had some underwhelming characteristics, namely the more or less average 3% voltage regulation and the approaching of the ATX spec for ripple. And let's not forget that my unit only barely did 80 Plus Silver, and that's if we round up. All of this makes for a very good but not an excellent power supply, and so I think I will give it an 8 for performance.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - the story gets a little better for the unit here, as the full modularity of this unit helps it greatly. You can unplug any cable you want right up to and including the main ATX cable itself, and for those who find themselves dealing with a space constricted case this could be a very good thing indeed. The unit has plenty of PCI express connectors for multiple video cards, and a good mix of both SATA and Molex connectors. Now, the news isn't all good. We're still dealing with those 250mm long stretches of cable between the connectors on the SATA and Molex chains. I don't reckon we need that much cabling between connectors any more now than we did when I last complained about it. 8.

Value (30% of the final score) - Sundial Micro is offering this unit for $178.99. That's actually quite a decent price. The Coolermaster M1000 is a bit cheaper, but most everything else around the 1kW mark including theCorsair HX1000 is a fair bit more money. I'll see my way to a 9.5 on this score.

Aesthetics (10% of the final score) - as always, I can't fault a matte black unit for being unpretty, because it isn't unpretty. What I can fault is Silverstone's continuing trend of plastering big stickers all over that wonderful matte black finish. Maybe can we make a few of these things smaller? Maybe move the embossed Silverstone logo to a panel where we can actually see it? 9.

Performance

Functionality

Value

Aesthetics

Total Score 8.5

Summary

Silverstone's Strider Plus at one kilowatt isn't a half bad unit by any measure. It regulates well, it's fairly efficient, it runs cool, and a fair bit of extra goodies comes in the box with it. The only things I can find fault with are the ripple suppression on the two minor rails and the continued issue with the excessive cable lengths between Molex and SATA connectors. This unit does have a lot going for it, but as is it just barely misses getting that nice recommended graphic from us.

The Good:

• efficient
  • FANTASTIC 12 volt turn-on spike suppression
  • very stable 12V rail

The Bad:

• barely capable of 80 Plus Silver

The Mediocre:

• 3.3V and 5V are a bit ripple-tastic

Example of a power supply with an overrated wattage.

Here we have the Coolmax CTI-700B 700 watts taken from an Ebay listing.

Product Condition:New

• Specification
  • Mfr Part Number: 14736
  • Features:
    • Dual PCI-E Connectors (at 700W)
    • Dual 80 mm fans built for long life, durability, and fastest cooling time
    • Automatic fan setting available for most effective heat dissipation
    • APFC/PPFC (Optional)
    • Over voltage protection, short circuit protection on all output levels
    • Tube-tied on the main connector for clean look and feel
  • Total Power: 700 W
  • Input: 100~132VAC or 200~264VAC
  • Output: +3.3V @ 28A; +5V @ 28A; +12V1 @ 18A; +12V2 @ 16A; +12V3 @ 16A; -12V @ 0.5A; +5VSB @ 3A
  • Connectors: 1x 20+4pin Main Power, 1x 4+4pin CPU Power, 2x 6pin PCI-Express; 4x 15pin SATA, 4x Peripheral, 1x 4pin FDD
  • Color: Black
  • Dimensions (WxLxH): 5.50 x 6.00 x 3.50 inch / 14.0 x 15.2 x 8.89 cm

What you will find is that the amperage on the 12v rail is not enough to fulfill 700watts.

Here is a Coolermaster V700 700 watts..

5964_02_cooler_master_v700_700_watt_80_p

You can clearly see the Coolermaster is far more capable of outputting a continuous 700 watts in comparison to the Coolmax.

Here is some demonstrations of bad power supplies failing.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=379

"It gave me a light show I've only seen rivaled by a major fireworks display. And it all happened off camera, blast it. We'll find out what went kablooey on the next page."

My favorite source of power supply knowledge is JonnyGuru, excellent website aimed at power supply testing.

I just want everyone here and elsewhere to heed this information, it is valuable information to those who want a system that will last longer than a week.

When PSU's go boom, so does most of the other components inside your PC.

Be warned of these manufacturers!

Coolmax - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores

Behringer - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores

Ace - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores

Advance - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores

G7 - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores, i know this is available in the UK at Maplins!

Akasa Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores/ online stores

Powmax - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores

Aerocool - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores/ Online stores

Aywan - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores

Raidsonic - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores/ Online stores

Hyena - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores

Deer - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores

Raidmax - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores/ Online stores

Apevia - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores/ Online stores

Ezcool - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores/ Online stores

L-link - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores

Logisys - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores/ Online stores

Sharkoon Sadly only one PSU is good : WPM 600w.

There are more....

Manufacturers that are doable but not recommended.

Nox - Ebay/Amazon/ Local stores/ Online stores

FSP - Some dodgy units, some stellar units, mostly 80+ rated to go for!

Manufacturers to trust every time, just keep up to date with reviews for common sense reasons.

Seasonic

Silverstone

XFX

Corsair

Superflower

Antec

EVGA

Fractal Design

Enermax

LEPA

Be Quiet!

Coolermaster - This company in the past have had craptacluar PSU's, but have stepped their game up majorly in recent years, their V line is outstanding currently!

Thermaltake - Some bad units in their history, though their toughpower line are some of the best in recent years.

Zalman - FSP/Enhance built power supplies, basically Silverstone/FSP.

NZXT - Most notably their HALE series, Excellent PSU's!

Unknown.

Bitfenix?

Feel free to critic me, also update me with stuff to add here.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Also one to watch out for is aywan they fake 80+ ratings (nice you added it)

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

Agree 100% this issue is very important indeed, good post it should be refined and pinned.

I consulted JonnyGuru myself before selecting my PSU (AX750/Seasonic X) and I +1 it for a good resource, the reviews are stellar.

There are lists like this on other forums by the way.

Add Hyena and Deer to the naughty list.

LTT is only growing bigger, room for misinformation grows larger.

I am trying to keep the information reachable and tight.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Also one to watch out for is aywan they fake 80+ ratings (nice you added it)

Just the casing on that PSU screams not good.

Agree 100% this issue is very important indeed, good post it should be refined and pinned.

I consulted JonnyGuru myself before selecting my PSU (AX750/Seasonic X) and I +1 it for a good resource, the reviews are stellar.

There are lists like this on other forums by the way.

Add Hyena and Deer to the naughty list.

How is it looking now guys?

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

How is it looking now guys?

Great

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

I've had good experience with the Thermaltake tough power gold series.

Good ;)

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Update: Zalman.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

add ezcool i has a 800w 80+ and it couldent hanle my rig

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Watch out for: cooler master extreme power plus

(Just read amazon reviews, I have one, luckily it has not blown up yet, I really need a quality PSU)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Manufacturers to trust every time, just keep up to date with reviews for common sense reasons.

Seasonic

Silverstone

XFX

Corsair

FSP

Superflower

Antec

EVGA

Fractal Design

Enermax

LEPA

Be Quiet!

Coolermaster - This company in the past have had craptacluar PSU's, but have stepped their game up majorly in recent years, their V line is outstanding currently!

Thermaltake - Some bad units in their history, though their toughpower line are some of the best in recent years.

Zalman - FSP/Enhance built power supplies, basically Silverstone/FSP.

A lot of those companies just re-badge PSU's.  Not that there's anything wrong with that in theory, but since they do not consistently use the same OEM, even within a single series, it can result in wildly different quality.

For a more specific example:

Corsair

HX-450 – Seasonic

HX-520 – Seasonic

HX-620 – Seasonic

HX-650 – Seasonic

HX-750 – Channel Well (CWT) (DSG platform)

HX-850 – Channel Well (CWT) (DSG platform)

HX-1000 – Channel Well (CWT)

HX-1050 – Channel Well (CWT)

In this example, if you read a review of the 520 you could get a fair idea of how a 620 might perform also.  However that would not be the case between the 650 and 750

Source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-4.html

A lot of those companies just re-badge PSU's.  Not that there's anything wrong with that in theory, but since they do not consistently use the same OEM, even within a single series, it can result in wildly different quality.

For a more specific example:

Corsair

HX-450 – Seasonic

HX-520 – Seasonic

HX-620 – Seasonic

HX-650 – Seasonic

HX-750 – Channel Well (CWT) (DSG platform)

HX-850 – Channel Well (CWT) (DSG platform)

HX-1000 – Channel Well (CWT)

HX-1050 – Channel Well (CWT)

In this example, if you read a review of the 520 you could get a fair idea of how a 620 might perform also.  However that would not be the case between the 650 and 750

Source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-4.html

Yup, i am fully aware mate, but brand is what people purchase, and not everyone is clued up ;)

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

After researching more, FSP have dropped to the not recommended but doable list.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Aerocool, really? Their fans are actually solid, didn't know their PSUs suck. :D

As is sometimes the case, i mean Sharkoon do too :P

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

@Whiskers @Whaler_99 is this decent enough for a sticky?

Also please critic me on any wrong info or info to update :)

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Recon-UK, on 18 May 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

Yup, i am fully aware mate, but brand is what people purchase, and not everyone is clued up ;)

I agree with nix101. You shouldn't be recomending psu just based on the brand itself. Example some of Corsair's and Coolermaster lower tier psu are total junk. You need to look at who the oem is and what platform are they using. You might wanna add this link for others to check who is the oem for any particular model from any brands.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

I agree with nix101. You shouldn't be recomending psu just based on the brand itself. Example some of Corsair's and Coolermaster lower tier psu are total junk. You need to look at who the oem is and what platform are they using. You might wanna add this link for others to check who is the oem for any particular model from any brands.

I don't think you quite get my point, people buy based on brand, i know that platforms are used across various brands, but you will not find junk ones anymore brand new in any proper retailer.

The stuff you talk about is old stuff from quite a few years back.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

I will have to come back to this some point tomorrow or whatever, i'm tired and my mind is in old fart mode.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Recon-UK, on 19 May 2014 - 03:49 AM, said:

I don't think you quite get my point, people buy based on brand, i know that platforms are used across various brands, but you will not find junk ones anymore brand new in any proper retailer.

The stuff you talk about is old stuff from quite a few years back.

I dunno much about UK retailers but over here,and dare I say most of the Asian countries, even the proper retailer still sells junk lower tier models from famous brands for quick bucks,especially in a 'custom' prebuilt pc. I'm just saying, it's better to check who the psu oem is and what platform is it based off,so you'll get a better psu for your money,rather than just blindly buying based on brands. The link i gave above is a good place to start as they update the review lists almost everyday.

I dunno much about UK retailers but over here,and dare I say most of the Asian countries, even the proper retailer still sells junk lower tier models from famous brands for quick bucks,especially in a 'custom' prebuilt pc. I'm just saying, it's better to check who the psu oem is and what platform is it based off,so you'll get a better psu for your money,rather than just blindly buying based on brands. The link i gave above is a good place to start as they update the review lists almost everyday.

I will have to come back to this some point tomorrow or whatever, i'm tired and my mind is in old fart mode.

Please understand, i get cranky when i'm tired ;)

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

That's a very handy link, bookmarked.