Microsoft to start blocking "unauthorized" peripherals

goodtofufriday
On 11/24/2023 at 2:07 PM, Emberstone said:

A bit late, but fighting game players use all kinds of different controllers (arcade sticks, Hotboxes, Mixboxes, keyboards, etc.) and this will effectively destroy those communities on Xbox unless you're one of the few competitive people who use a stock Xbox controller for games like Guilty Gear Strive or SF6.

i mean, there is official fight sticks for xbox, though pricy, idk how much a normal fight stick costs

On 11/26/2023 at 12:07 AM, BrandonLatzig said:

i mean, there is official fight sticks for xbox, though pricy, idk how much a normal fight stick costs

Not all are made equal, even from an input processing point of view. Consistent performance is key when a single frame can decide a game. There's a reason Brook boards/etc. have been around so long.

But even if some fightsticks are available, that alienates people who use other controllers which aren't sticks, like those who prefer Hitboxes or Mixboxes, which require something like a Brook board to connect to an Xbox.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

27 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

Not all are made equal, even from an input processing point of view. Consistent performance is key when a single frame can decide a game. There's a reason Brook boards/etc. have been around so long.

But even if some fightsticks are available, that alienates people who use other controllers which aren't sticks, like those who prefer Hitboxes or Mixboxes, which require something like a Brook board to connect to an Xbox.

it does seem brook boards has been the legit one bad call from this, but i heard that they were working with microsoft to get that fixed

• 1 month later...

Sony is now blocking at least one peripherals for the same reasons.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2024/01/playstation-has-blocked-hardware-cheating-device-cronus-zen-others-may-follow/

The Cronus Zen describes itself as a hardware tool for "universal controller compatibility," letting you plug in a third-party controller, an Xbox controller into a PlayStation, or even your keyboard and mouse into a console. But you can also use its scripting engine to "amplify your game" and set up "GamePacks" to do things like reduce recoil animations in games like Call of Duty. And that is where Cronus seems to have gotten into trouble.

Basically this is an accessibility device that is primarily being used as a hardware "macro keyboard/mouse" type of cheat device.

I think that might be something that needs to be considered for "next gen" systems beyond the PS5, how to enable accessibility without enabling cheating. Like most players of FPS games end up turning all the accessibility features the game has in the first place so they don't end up at a disadvantage to someone who is using the features when they don't need it.

Apparently the entire "K+M" on a console bit seems to be a cheat in itself, at least against other console players. So I don't really know what to feel about this. Maybe if the device wasn't being marketed as a way to cheat and had learned from what happened with macro keyboard and mice before over the last two decades in PC games that prohibit it.

I did not feel this needed a new thread since is pretty much the the same topic just the cronus (the device targeted by microsoft) being banned by sony, not just microsoft now.

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that the No1 subscribed Twitch channel almost exclusively plays competitive Rainbow Six: Siege on Xbox and has to deal with players using XIM is probably a big reason.

On 2/5/2024 at 1:31 PM, NF-F12 said:

The fact that the No1 subscribed Twitch channel almost exclusively plays competitive Rainbow Six: Siege on Xbox and has to deal with players using XIM is probably a big reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a significant portion of streamers and content creators out there using such devices if not outright using cheating software. We've seen many get banned live and there will always be more. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580