No display from graphics card on one PC

ColinJ451

I am building a cheap desktop for my son.

Currently gigabyte A520m S2h with 3600 and 16gb ram

Initially test with a old hd7750 I had knocking about.

Bought a rx580 8gb and I get no display from any of the outputs... The board only has one pcie 3.0 x16 slot so can't change slot to test. 

Tried the card in my desktop and it works fine but although I did unplug my rx6700 it was still in the other slot, nothing was spinning and the card output furmark fine to test stability.

I had a Corsair tx650m PSU as a test supply for the new rig and it has a 6pin PSU, the light turns blue suggesting power is ok.

Any suggestions... Faulty board, PSU or graphics card or just a weird combo that's not working together 

To summarise... 

Tested HD7750 works fine in new build, RX580 does not (no display out, monitor on standby mode, DP or HDMI)

RX580 seemingly works fine in another motherboard

Did you try clearing the CMOS memory ? It is possible that the motherboard remembers the HD7750 and is trying to use it even if it was replaced by the RX580. If that doesn't work, you can check if there is a new version of the BIOS available. A new BIOS often fixes incompatibility issues.

Also, are you using a fresh Windows install ? It is good measure to use a fresh install whenever you switch a major hardware component (you went from HS7750 to RX580 there).

2 hours ago, ColinJ451 said:

Any suggestions... Faulty board, PSU or graphics card or just a weird combo that's not working together 

Since you were able to make all the hardware work individually, I doubt any component is faulty. The most likely issue is oversight or really a weird combo issue.

Good luck !

Fresh install when the build was set up a few days ago and all updates completed, will reset the bios again just to check but updated to an F12 when I got the board as the CPU wasn't initially recognised. Thanks

I had similar issue like you, my pc was working and one day decided not to boot, just black screen
Fix was, booting it in another room. I'm not joking, in another room it worked perfectly fine. I returned it to my room and it worked fine as well and I'm sure everytihng was connected correctly in the first place
Sometimes components just don't want to work with each other, I would suggest you to try different cables and try taking your PSU and putting it in that rig just to be sure, random dumb stuff sometimes is the answer
Good luck

On 10/30/2023 at 7:32 PM, BnB03 said:

I had similar issue like you, my pc was working and one day decided not to boot, just black screen
Fix was, booting it in another room. I'm not joking, in another room it worked perfectly fine. I returned it to my room and it worked fine as well and I'm sure everytihng was connected correctly in the first place
Sometimes components just don't want to work with each other, I would suggest you to try different cables and try taking your PSU and putting it in that rig just to be sure, random dumb stuff sometimes is the answer
Good luck

Thanks, I am going to take it to work I think and try a new monitor option and cables as a start, might take a while to isolate the issue I feel swapping each bit in and out.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up RMAing the CPU which was a new purchase, baffling how it decided to die but working currently with a 5500, and recon board 🤷

Thanks all