Help with new build planning!

Misinthe

Budget (including currency): $5,000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Hard to pinpoint, anything from retro game emulators to modern AAA.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey everyone, so I am graduating from University soon, and to celebrate, I am going to be building myself a new PC, my all in budget is $5,000, but I do want to do a complete set up makeover. This is what I have so far:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($369.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE LINK H150i RGB 63.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($294.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  ($1599.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks NV7 ATX Full Tower Case  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G6 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($200.54 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3274.48

I am still wanting to get new peripherals. My current ones are:

Mouse: Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum (2016)

Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire (2017)

Headphones: Corsair VOID Pro RGB Wireless (2017)

Monitor 1: Dell S2716DG, 27" 1440p 144hz, G-Sync, TN Panel (2017)

Monitor 2: Dell U2723QE, 27" 4K 60hz IPS (2022)

As you can see, must of my things are from 2017, that's when I built my last PC, which I don't even have anymore, it's working as a Plex Server atm, and I am rocking a dell laptop that's not even for gaming.  For the headphones, I am leaning towards the beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Studio, with a DAC/AMP, for the mouse and keyboard, I just want something good that's wireless, I am trying to get rid of as many cables as I can! For my monitors, they're okay, but my 1440p one is old and it is starting to show it's age, and the other one I got free from work so I can't complain much, but I am trying to find an OLD Gaming monitor, maybe 32"+, I was thinking on getting maybe an ultrawide and having my two old ones on top for a 3-monitor setup.

Anyways, what do you guys think, any suggestions/recommendations? Any information is appreciated! Thank you.

22 minutes ago, Misinthe said:

I am still wanting to get new peripherals. My current ones are:

Mouse: Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum (2016)

Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire (2017)

Headphones: Corsair VOID Pro RGB Wireless (2017)

Monitor 1: Dell S2716DG, 27" 1440p 144hz, G-Sync, TN Panel (2017)

Monitor 2: Dell U2723QE, 27" 4K 60hz IPS (2022)

Id keep them all but the monitor really. G900 is a tank and besides the overly heavy infinite scroll mechanism you can do a refresh on it with new battery and mouse switches if you have soldering skills. But to me yeah, wireless mouse is a game changer, and considering we got boat of cash we can go and get something specific. Can i get your hand size, grip type, and game genres you commonly play?

unknown.png?ex=65472098&is=6534ab98&hm=f

Same thing can be said for the K70, although Cherry MX feel isn't like they used to be anymore so you might want to keep it as-is or replace with newer keyboard switches on the market. Wireless keyboards are few and far between with acceptable latency on wireless mode and you are not going to transport them a lot on a table unless if I miss a detail here. They also drain pretty fast with RGB on. Cutting the cord on this one is honestly not worth the inconvenience.

40 minutes ago, Misinthe said:

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE LINK H150i RGB 63.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 

going to just copy paste my critique against the QX line:

I'm personally very much against giving this system the money it don't deserve. Corsair as is is already a bad buy for pure RGB setup due to its iCUE color limitation, but at least their current connectors are actually purchasable on the open market and thus adapters are a plenty for going from icue to standard ARGB and vice versa. Meanwhile QX doesn't have this as of this writing, at all. And honestly? Most likely not going to be with how much these proprietary connectors and controllers cost to develop. Id rather buy a standard ARGB based setup and eat the pain of cable management (which is genuinely, not as bad as marketers want you to think it is) to have a more easily changed or expanded setup that is cheaper, than having slightly easier cable management and then locked into an inherently inferior system that will cost you a lot.

So yeah. I'm going with EK AIO as they're back in stock. The other good calls are Deepcool LT720, Arctic Freezer 2 360, And yes, the old non-Link H150i and Kraken Z line. Those still have adaptable connectors.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: EK AIO Elite 360 D-RGB 66.04 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($174.00 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($102.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac GAMING AMP Extreme AIRO GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  ($1099.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Gigabyte G27Q 27.0" 2560 x 1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($279.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Keychron Q6 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($215.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Razer Viper V2 Pro Wireless Optical Mouse  ($120.72 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2852.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-26 22:47 EDT-0400

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Consider an ATX 3.0 compliant PSU with native support for the 12VHPWR connector used by the GPU. An 850W model would be fine.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, Misinthe said:

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($294.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  ($1599.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G6 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($200.54 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3274.48

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6cvFZJ

Gave up on a little bit of the aesthetics but got a better motherboard, more storage, and a significantly better GPU for the same price. 

Not really gonna comment too much on the peripherals and stuff as it's not really an area I follow too closely. I like my G502 Lightspeed, though I know that's not the most well respected pick by the majority of people (I just really like the shape), and I'm of the mindset that wireless keyboards at a desk are kinda pointless. I do like my DT770s, so I won't try to convince you away from them, though there are supposedly better options in the price range nowadays (not sure what they are, I got mine used for really cheap so I didn't really look too closely into the new price competitors). 

14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Gave up on a little bit of the aesthetics but got a better motherboard, more storage, and a significantly better GPU for the same price. 

Not really gonna comment too much on the peripherals and stuff as it's not really an area I follow too closely. I like my G502 Lightspeed, though I know that's not the most well respected pick by the majority of people (I just really like the shape), and I'm of the mindset that wireless keyboards at a desk are kinda pointless. I do like my DT770s, so I won't try to convince you away from them, though there are supposedly better options in the price range nowadays (not sure what they are, I got mine used for really cheap so I didn't really look too closely into the new price competitors). 

Aaand you basically got a similar list to mine

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TLXBqR

Though id avoid the amp v2 psus with those useless 5 year warranties, atleast get one with a 10 year warranty since thats the only merit of buying new

23 hours ago, SorryBella said:

-snip-

That's a lot of info, thank you for sharing. I use fingertip grip and my hand is 7" long by 4" wide. You list makes a lot of sense price wise, but I don't really like the aesthetics.

The only reason I was going for the Corsair Cooler is because of the iCue Link, I was planning on getting extra fans for the case. I don't want a bunch of cables hanging out the back.

I do like that keyboard, although I like having media buttons for control and that color wouldn't go with my setup.

22 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It didn't even ocurred to me that there were some 4090s at that price! I'll have to rethink everything, I would prefer a white build.

22 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Aaand you basically got a similar list to mine

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TLXBqR

Though id avoid the amp v2 psus with those useless 5 year warranties, atleast get one with a 10 year warranty since thats the only merit of buying new

Thanks for the suggestions, all great PCs.

56 minutes ago, Misinthe said:

although I like having media buttons for control and that color wouldn't go with my setup.

It has a media knob and 4 rebindable keys via VIA Keybind Editor webapp or through QMK flashing (i recommend Vial for this one, although the classic QMK Configurator exists and QMK guides are good enough to learn how to flash).

And Keychron has a UK site that id recommend instead of their amazon storefront. The price is a placeholder. https://www.keychron.uk/

That's a lot of info, thank you for sharing. I use fingertip grip and my hand is 7" long by 4" wide.

17*10 on ftip, straight to Pulsar X2 Mini we go. Other alternative you could consider are:

1. Lamzu Atlantis Mini
  2. Cherry-Xtrfy MZ1
  3. Razer Viper Mini (discontinued, hard to find)
  4. Quote
    line (3D Printed, so shell durability is pretty mediocre)
  5. EndGameGear XM2we

I don't want a bunch of cables hanging out the back.

Youre not gonna see most of it, just make sure you clearly label and route things and youll be fine.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

On 10/26/2023 at 11:26 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

I do like my DT770s, so I won't try to convince you away from them, though there are supposedly better options in the price range nowadays (not sure what they are, I got mine used for really cheap so I didn't really look too closely into the new price competitors). 

Do you use any AMP/DAC with your DT770s? I was thinking on getting the Schiit Magni and Modi for better sound.

13 hours ago, SorryBella said:

It has a media knob and 4 rebindable keys via VIA Keybind Editor webapp or through QMK flashing (i recommend Vial for this one, although the classic QMK Configurator exists and QMK guides are good enough to learn how to flash).

And Keychron has a UK site that id recommend instead of their amazon storefront. The price is a placeholder. https://www.keychron.uk/

17*10 on ftip, straight to Pulsar X2 Mini we go. Other alternative you could consider are:

1. Lamzu Atlantis Mini
  2. Cherry-Xtrfy MZ1
  3. Razer Viper Mini (discontinued, hard to find)
  4. line (3D Printed, so shell durability is pretty mediocre)
  5. EndGameGear XM2we

Youre not gonna see most of it, just make sure you clearly label and route things and youll be fine.

Thank you for the valuable information, I have a follow up question, what's the difference between the Pulsar X2, X2H, X2A X2V2? They all look the same to me, except some have buttons on both sides for use with both hands. Also, I live in the US, would ordering from the UK would still be better?

Just now, Misinthe said:

Do you use any AMP/DAC with your DT770s? I was thinking on getting the Schiit Magni and Modi for better sound.

I've got the 80 ohm versions and a BTR5 (also I'm pretty sure my pair is from the 90s, so they might've changed a bit since then even though from what I've seen they really haven't). I use them for watching TV and movies mainly, so a Bluetooth receiver is kinda necessary. They do still sound fine coming out of motherboard audio though, so don't think it's truly necessary to get an amp with them if you're not getting the 250 ohm version, it's just that an amp should help a bit. 

@SorryBella @RONOTHAN##

So, I've been working on this all day, I think I've come up with a plan. What do you think? I decided to go with the 4080 since I'll be using a 1440p monitor, and I can allocate that budget somewhere else. Unless I get some good deals for Black Friday, that's when I am planning to start buying with whatever is on sale.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gjvMCd

CPU Cooler: Phanteks GLACIER ONE 360D30 64.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($205.10 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Gigabyte AERO OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  ($1199.99 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Phanteks D30-120 64.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($33.98 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Phanteks D30-120 Reversed 61.5 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($32.98 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Phanteks D30-120 Reversed 61.5 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Phanteks D30-120 Reversed 61.5 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G8 34.0" 3440 x 1440 175 Hz Curved Monitor  ($962.04 @ Amazon) 
Custom: beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Studio Headphones - Over-Ear, Closed-Back, Professional Design for Recording and Monitoring (80 Ohm, Grey)  ($169.00 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Keychron Q6 Wired Custom Mechanical Keyboard Knob Version, Full-Size QMK/VIA Programmable Macro with Hot-swappable Gateron G Pro Red Switch Double Gasket Compatible with Mac Windows Linux (Bl  ($225.99 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Thermal Grizzly KryoSheet (33 x 33 x 0,2 mm)  ($27.90 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Phanteks Premium GEN4 Vertical GPU Bracket, DRGB Lighting,...  ($104.98 @ Newegg) 
Custom: Pulsar X2 Mini Wireless Gaming Mouse ($94.95)
Custom: LTT NORTHERN LIGHTS DESK PAD ($29.99)
Custom: Schiit Audio HEL+ ($199.00)
Total: $4798.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-29 01:35 EDT-0400

37 minutes ago, Misinthe said:

Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ B&H) 

Samsung's SSDs have been plagued with issues recently, especially the 990 Pro, so I'd try to avoid them if possible. 

39 minutes ago, Misinthe said:

Custom: beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Studio Headphones - Over-Ear, Closed-Back, Professional Design for Recording and Monitoring (80 Ohm, Grey)  ($169.00 @ Amazon) 

Might want to check used for these, they've been out forever and even the older pairs are still awesome, so you can get them for really cheap (the pair I've got were only $65 in near perfect condition, only issue is the headband leather is a little tired and that's easily replaceable for cheap). 

40 minutes ago, Misinthe said:

Custom: Thermal Grizzly KryoSheet (33 x 33 x 0,2 mm)  ($27.90 @ Amazon) 

I'd probably just use thermal paste rather than these. Performance is the same and it's not like they're really that much easier to use. 

Everything else looks OK. I'd probably go for cheaper fans, but that's just me. 

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Might want to check used for these

+1. If youre going to buy one new, get the 250 ohm version with a DAC.

11 hours ago, Misinthe said:

what's the difference between the Pulsar X2, X2H, X2A X2V2

X2 v2 is a board update that changes the mechanical switches with opto-mechanical switches like the one on Razer Viper. I recommend this instead of the standard X2 in specific because they are a bit more reliable and better built. X2H has a higher rear hump which makes it better for those who do relaxed claw or palm grip, and X2A is Ambidextrous, you can install magnetic button or blanking plate to make your side buttons on the left or the right.

On 10/28/2023 at 12:49 AM, SorryBella said:

17*10 on ftip, straight to Pulsar X2 Mini we go.

12 hours ago, SorryBella said:

+1. If youre going to buy one new, get the 250 ohm version with a DAC.

X2 v2 is a board update that changes the mechanical switches with opto-mechanical switches like the one on Razer Viper. I recommend this instead of the standard X2 in specific because they are a bit more reliable and better built. X2H has a higher rear hump which makes it better for those who do relaxed claw or palm grip, and X2A is Ambidextrous, you can install magnetic button or blanking plate to make your side buttons on the left or the right.

Ok, I was wondering because in the first comment you only mentioned the X2 Mini, so I should be looking at the X2V2 Mini.

Ok, I've made some alterations, this is how it's looking now.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Phanteks GLACIER ONE 360D30 64.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($205.10 @ Amazon) 
Thermal Compound: KINGPINcooling KPx 1 g Thermal Paste  ($11.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: Gigabyte AERO OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  ($1199.99 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Phanteks D30-120 Reversed 61.5 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($32.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G8 34.0" 3440 x 1440 175 Hz Curved Monitor  ($961.85 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm Limited Edition Professional Studio Headphones  ($240.00 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Schiit Fulla E Headphone DAC/Amp with Mic Input for Gaming and Communications  ($136.00 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Keychron Q6 Wired Custom Mechanical Keyboard Knob Version, Full-Size QMK/VIA Programmable Macro with Hot-swappable Gateron G Pro Red Switch Double Gasket Compatible with Mac Windows Linux (Bl  ($225.99 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Pulsar Gaming Gears X2V2 Mini Wireless Gaming Mouse, Ultra Lightweight 1.80 oz (51 g), Symmetrical, Optical Switch, 2.4 Ghz 1 ms, 26000 DPI, PAW3395 Sensor (Mini, Wireless, Black)  ($99.95 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Phanteks Premium GEN4 Vertical GPU Bracket, DRGB Lighting,...  ($104.98 @ Newegg) 
Custom: Pulsar Gaming Gears - 4K Wireless dongle, Enable 4000Hz Polling Rate, boosts Tracking Precision, responsiveness and Accuracy (Black)  ($19.95 @ Amazon) 
Total: $4805.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-29 15:52 EDT-0400

Sorry for the super late response, i forgot to response to this thread until today.

On 10/30/2023 at 2:52 AM, Misinthe said:

Thermal Compound: KINGPINcooling KPx 1 g Thermal Paste  ($11.99 @ Amazon) 

Mediocre, even compared to Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and Kryonaut line. I wouldn't spend money on neither of these though, for just AIO use you can stick to Cooler Master Mastergel Pro V2, Arctic MX6, or Gelid GC Extreme. Or, just use the built in one on your Glacier.

Id also consider the Alienware sister to this panel, the AW3423DWF. They trade in price, the only missing feature in the Alienware is built in Tizen.

Good starter pad, but if you want to broaden your horizon I recommend checking the Artisan FX line, Lethal Gaming Gear in-house mousepad, and Pulsar Para line.

On 11/2/2023 at 11:30 PM, SorryBella said:

Sorry for the super late response, i forgot to response to this thread until today.

Mediocre, even compared to Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and Kryonaut line. I wouldn't spend money on neither of these though, for just AIO use you can stick to Cooler Master Mastergel Pro V2, Arctic MX6, or Gelid GC Extreme. Or, just use the built in one on your Glacier.

Id also consider the Alienware sister to this panel, the AW3423DWF. They trade in price, the only missing feature in the Alienware is built in Tizen.

Good starter pad, but if you want to broaden your horizon I recommend checking the Artisan FX line, Lethal Gaming Gear in-house mousepad, and Pulsar Para line.

Why would you recommend the Alienware over Samsung? I've been reading there's some issues with the G8 but can't figure out what.