Keyboard repair for my laptop - need advice on what it might involve

I have a 2020 ROG Zephyrus G14 (specifically the GA401II) laptop, which recently has started having an issue where certain keys on the home row will just not register presses. I’m 99% sure it is a hardware issue, since the BIOS is up-to-date and I have a dual boot setup, so I would assume that any faulty drivers in Windows wouldn’t carry over to Linux and vice versa. My local computer repair man informs me that fixing the keyboard on a laptop such as mine isn’t something he can do (which I can believe; I did not buy the Zephyrus because it was repairable), so if I want it fixed I will probably have to RMA it to ASUS and see what they can do. The problem is that I’m currently studying at university and being without a computer would be extremely inconvenient (currently I’m using my laptop with an external keyboard), so I need to decide whether it’s worth it for a few weeks or whether I should just get another laptop. Before making a decision, I’m hoping for more information about:

1. What the actual problem with the keyboard is,
  2. Whether ASUS will actually be able to repair it and how much they will charge for that.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Pretty sure that replacing the keyboard is a case of ordering the new part and plugging it in.

First thing to do is see if you can order the part. If you can then you could investigate if you are able to replace it yourself.

I've replaced a few keyboards myself, they can be quite fiddly is all, but with patience and the right tools (usually just some small star or security screwdrivers) it can be done.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

4 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Pretty sure that replacing the keyboard is a case of ordering the new part and plugging it in.

First thing to do is see if you can order the part. If you can then you could investigate if you are able to replace it yourself.

I've replaced a few keyboards myself, they can be quite fiddly is all, but with patience and the right tools (usually just some small star or security screwdrivers) it can be done.

Yeah I had to replace a keyboard on an older Dell many moons ago (2013? I remember it was W7), and the most time consuming and difficult part was disassembling it to where I could disconnect the ribbon cable and remove the keyboard. 

Credit to how fix it, this is what you have to do if you want to take the keyboard out or look for the serial number to order another replacement. You can use the part number in the video and then have a computer shop install it for you if you are not confident.