GFX Card advice: 3080 vs 3080 ti vs 4070

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk 2077, Starfield, VR games (Valve Index), and media. I don't play any competitive games nor fast paced FPS's 

Other details: My current PC is a Lenovo P72 laptop.

CPU: Xeon E-2176M

RAM: 128GB (4*32GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-21300)

GFX: Quadro P4200 with Max-Q Design

I have a Razer Core X Chroma on the way and I'm planning on purchasing a graphics card to use with it for now and eventually to put into a tower I'll be assembling next year. The laptop has a 4K display but my only current external "monitors" are a couple TV's. One is a 47" Toshiba  47L6200 (1080P) and the other is a Samsung UN58NU7100 (4K). I'm fine with gaming at 1080P but I'm tired of the occasional slideshow that is Starfield when running at 720P and all low settings. I'd be targeting 60 hz/fps since that's the max to my current monitors although I may get a proper gaming monitor in the future with a higher refresh rate. I'd like to be able to use the graphics card for a few years with medium quality settings. I'd really like to have some nice eye candy with ray tracing so I'm picking Nvidia over AMD. 

My current options for graphics cards are:

• $600 CAD - used EVGA 3080 FTW3 (unknown background)
  • $750 CAD - used EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra. 
    •  used to mine Ethereum for 6 months in a professional set up, utilizing server cases and high end room temperature control. Temperatures of cards were closely monitored. Upgraded thermal pads professionally installed.
  • $845 CAD - new Gigabyte Windforce 4070

Given I'm in British Columbia I'm not overly concerned about the cost of electricity but I do like the efficiency of the 4070 just for using it within the Razer Core X Chroma. 

Should I get the new card and avoid any issues due to being used for mining? I can afford all of these cards but I've been unable to determine what the real hazards are due to cards being used for crypto mining and the comparisons I've found put all three cards in pretty similar spots. 

6 hours ago, Zalafinari said:

Should I get the new card and avoid any issues due to being used for mining?

if theyre not that old and is indeed on decent environment, maybe all she needs is just cleanup and rarely new thermal pad. Although really 100CAD isnt significant enough of a saving considering that 3080 performs the same but with 2GB less VRAM, which matters a lot nowadays because even on 12GB of VRAM, few Sony titles stutters a bit on 1080p.

Another one to peek would be the 7800XT which is similar in price range but performs above the 4070 in games which all you focused on. The only glaring issues is AMD continued mixed results on VR.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Unless RX 8000 series GPUs come out until then, for that budget the best choice is RX 7800XT. IT will also massively help with not having issues with multiple monitors.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |