Cities Skylines 2 - Not looking great for launch day...

Monkey Dust

Paradox/Colossal Order have embarked on expectation management https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/949230/view/5613232311156119043?l=english

TLDR, performance is apparently not looking great. Not great enough that ahead of release they admitted it and said that they'll fix it at some point, honest. 

I loved the first Cities Skylines, and was excited about the new one. Looks like waiting a few months might be a good idea :old-sad:

33 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Paradox/Colossal Order have embarked on expectation management https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/949230/view/5613232311156119043?l=english

TLDR, performance is apparently not looking great. Not great enough that ahead of release they admitted it and said that they'll fix it at some point, honest. 

I loved the first Cities Skylines, and was excited about the new one. Looks like waiting a few months might be a good idea :old-sad:

They didn't say much to be honest, other than repeating that the minimum specifications were increased to reflect that they didn't hit the performance target they had hoped.

I still think people are making too big a deal out of this.  So long as those minimum specifications do allow the game to run well.

I mean its a fair point that if you are skating by on the minimum specification, it might be worth waiting to see what other people report as these sorts of games tend to get heavier the longer you play due to more and more simulation as the city gets bigger.  But that's unlikely to show up on launch day.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

46 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

TLDR, performance is apparently not looking great.

tbh, at launch the original shitty:skylines ran like ass too, as it turns out simulating an entire city with at least some level of realism takes a lot of horsepower.

let's just hope they dont actually take it too far, because at release the latest hardware defenately ran a full sized cities:skylines (1) city at a glorious cinematic 24FPS.

10 hours ago, manikyath said:

tbh, at launch the original shitty:skylines ran like ass too, as it turns out simulating an entire city with at least some level of realism takes a lot of horsepower.

let's just hope they dont actually take it too far, because at release the latest hardware defenately ran a full sized cities:skylines (1) city at a glorious cinematic 24FPS.

The big problem with CS1 is that it doesn't have great multithreading support, leading to the game grinding to a halt as population size gets large. Hopefully, CS2 will at least be able to use all the cores you can give it.

Maybe I'm being over pessimistic, jaded by so many botched launches over the past few years.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

The big problem with CS1 is that it doesn't have great multithreading support, leading to the game grinding to a halt as population size gets large. Hopefully, CS2 will at least be able to use all the cores you can give it.

i mean.. it does quad core, which was pretty good for the time.

but yes, if CS2 can do 'much many core' that would be a huge boost... if they dont also use that much many core for much many more eyecandy.

Id mutch rather have them delay the game, fix the performance issues, and then release it. I absolutely hate the way modern gaming works, „well fix it later“.
I know it’s a simulation game and my standards are not very high for this kinda game. Like I get why cities runs at 25fps, but if even the developer says that it’s bad…. I honestly am expecting a giant shitshow.