No post ;(

Go to solution Solved by wima23,
6 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Modern CPUs get pretty hot pretty damn fast, I wouldn't say it's a useful diagnostic tool

CPU was burned! 🙂

Solution was to change the CPU, a guy just down the road had one just like mine and i got it for a good price. Tried it and it booted right up!
thanks for the help!

Hey,

First post on here. 

Just got in some used parts for a budget pc I wanted to build.

specs:

i5 9600k, msi gtx1070, 1tb m.2ssd (wd black), 550w psu, 16 gig G-skill, z390-H motherboard.

All used parts, m.2 is new.

After setting up the system I went to power it on and... no post. I have troubleshooted for some time now with no luck, and concluded that I needed a bios update. Asked the previous owner of the motherboard and he had used the same ram, and an i9 from the same gen. Would this mean that bios update would do nothing? VGA light comes on after a couple of minutes, so think there could be a GPU related problem instead? Attaching a photo of the CPU as its the only thing I feel looks off (middle top right). Have tried without gpu as well without any luck. Mono was shipped in normal bubble wrap and no anti static 😮 could this be an issue even if I get lights to everything? The screen also detects me plugging it in and out but no HDMI detected. have tried different screens and cables there swell. 

Anything helps, as I have built a fair few systems but never encountered a no boot sitch...

IMG_2122.jpeg

IMG_2123.jpeg

I don't see anything wrong with that CPU. 

I'm presuming you have cleared the BIOS already, reseated everything, and tried ram in different configs.

Have you tried using the iGPU? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, wima23 said:

After setting up the system I went to power it on and... no post. I have troubleshooted for some time now with no luck, and concluded that I needed a bios update. Asked the previous owner of the motherboard and he had used the same ram, and an i9 from the same gen. Would this mean that bios update would do nothing?

I believe that Z390 boards generally did not need BIOS updates to run 9th gen CPUs, since they were released later than Z370, but they may need an update for the newest R0 stepping.

10 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I'm presuming you have cleared the BIOS already, reseated everything, and tried ram in different configs.

CMOS has been cleared and battery has been out. Tried without the gpu and HDMI direct to the motherboard, if that is what you were referring to iGPU wise? (integrated)

7 minutes ago, Tetras said:

I believe that Z390 boards generally did not need BIOS updates to run 9th gen CPUs, since they were released later than Z370, but they may need an update for the newest R0 stepping.

So I would need an older cpu to get the boot and then update the bios? Seems strange that the guy b4 me has used the same mobo with an i9 same gen as my i5.

2 minutes ago, wima23 said:

So I would need an older cpu to get the boot and then update the bios? Seems strange that the guy b4 me has used the same mobo with an i9 same gen as my i5.

What is the sspec of your CPU (or alternatively, what was his?)?

9 minutes ago, Tetras said:

What is the sspec of your CPU (or alternatively, what was his?)?

mine is SRELU.

3 minutes ago, wima23 said:

mine is SRELU.

That's the earlier stepping (P0), so if the board ran fine with a 9900K (also P0 in the earliest stepping) then it should not need a bios update for compatibility reasons.

22 minutes ago, Tetras said:

That's the earlier stepping (P0), so if the board ran fine with a 9900K (also P0 in the earliest stepping) then it should not need a bios update for compatibility reasons.

ah was afraid of that, now I have no clue... but thanks man anyway! any tips for troubleshooting? what would be your first go too?

5 minutes ago, wima23 said:

ah was afraid of that, now I have no clue... but thanks man anyway! any tips for troubleshooting? what would be your first go too?

Black screens are always a pain to troubleshoot, but something like this:

1. Clear the CMOS / pull the battery.
  2. Double check the front panel and if unsure: pull every cable from the board except for the power switch.
  3. Double check how firmly seated the power connectors are (especially 4/8 pin EPS and 24 pin motherboard).
  4. Try using DP instead of HDMI, or vice versa.
  5. Pull all USB devices and USB header cables from the board and use PS/2 if possible.
  6. Change to some crappy stick of RAM (e.g. Crucial 4GB 2133/2400).
  7. Try a different PSU (including replacing all modular cables).
  8. Build it outside of a case, to check for shorts and make sure the standoffs are in the right places.
  9. (For newer systems) Flash the BIOS with the latest version, if flashback is supported.

3 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Black screens are always a pain to troubleshoot, but something like this:

1. Clear the CMOS / pull the battery.
  2. Double check the front panel and if unsure: pull every cable from the board except for the power switch.
  3. Double check how firmly seated the power connectors are (especially 4/8 pin EPS and 24 pin motherboard).
  4. Try using DP instead of HDMI, or vice versa.
  5. Pull all USB devices and USB header cables from the board and use PS/2 if possible.
  6. Change to some crappy stick of RAM (e.g. Crucial 4GB 2133/2400).
  7. Try a different PSU (including replacing all modular cables).
  8. Build it outside of a case, to check for shorts and make sure the standoffs are in the right places.
  9. (For newer systems) Flash the BIOS with the latest version, if flashback is supported.

Thanks man! this is great, will try again

2 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

tried booting without the cooler and the cpu gets scorching within seconds, is this normal or could it be the chip shoring? I have no comparable for "how hot a cpu gets with no cooler within 10 seconds"

6 minutes ago, wima23 said:

tried booting without the cooler and the cpu gets scorching within seconds, is this normal or could it be the chip shoring? I have no comparable for "how hot a cpu gets with no cooler within 10 seconds"

Modern CPUs get pretty hot pretty damn fast, I wouldn't say it's a useful diagnostic tool

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

47 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Ah, yeah didn't think it would lead me anywhere. Now I know tho 🙂 

6 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

CPU was burned! 🙂

Solution was to change the CPU, a guy just down the road had one just like mine and i got it for a good price. Tried it and it booted right up!
thanks for the help!