SSD does not show up in my PC trough an adapter.

Go to solution Solved by Sipuha,
Just now, wUnp said:

Oh sorry, I did not realized I posted this in Audio (I had an issue with speakers going stand by before and I guess I did not change the category, my bad).

Anyways, yeah I have NVMe to Type C right now but like I said, it corrupts the drives once in a while... (so far in past 10 months it happened 3 times, on one drive it  happened 2 times, on second drive it happened once).

I just don't really think that using USB for constant storage is an optimal idea since anything UNIVERSAL (get it? cause UniversalSerialBus. i'm awful at puns) is never good at one specific task.
So really @PDifolco idea about changing to SATA SSDs is the only thing you can do, if you don't consider to upgrade your PC prematurely (like changing to a MoBo to with more PCIe slots and buy NVME-PCIE carrier card or to a MoBo with more NVME slots) and if you're using these SSDs like a mass storage and you don't require quick access times.

Hi y'all... Sooo I got a new PC about 2 weeks ago, I picked parts like RTX 4060Ti (mainly cuz everyone was saying how bad the card is just to prove them all wrong which I did after I decimated 3060 and 3070 performance in Cyberpunk 2077 with RT Overdrive, Path Tracing and DLSS 3.5), i5 13400F, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM and LG UltraGear 144 QHD monitor with HDR... Anyways my motherboard is Gigabyte H610M H which was enough but I have forgot to check on how many m.2 and PCIe slots it has... Soo it has one 16x PCIe slot for my GPU, one 1x PCIe slot unoccupied and one m.2 slot with my Samsung 980 PRO... The problem is that I have 3 m.2 drives just lying around unused with all my games on them and I am tired of connecting them via USB C every single time I want to play a game that is on that SSD, all SSD's are m.2 NVMe and I have 3 SATA slots unoccupied so I purchased a board that was supposed to connect that m.2 NVMe trough SATA but it doesnt work... So I went on google to check and I found out accordingly to the m.2 socket number that this particular socket is for NGFF drive but the seller on amazon said m.2 NVMe (NGFF) to SATA III adapter and there was no mention that it should not support NVMe, after a bit of digging I have found out the key difference between ancient NGFF and modern NVMe and now I have 3 junk m.2 to sata boards, 3 NVMe SSD's lying around and no way to connect them except using USB C which like I said, its annoying and few months ago one of my drive thanks to this got corrupted and I had to completely wipe it becasue having steam games there and disconnecting it (not while its updating or game running) is bad and breaks everything. I am kinda worried that there is no solution for me to convert m.2 NVMe to SATA the way I thought and I for sure dont want to spend 50 or 60 bucks on one board that might or might not work...

The question is, what are my options now.
I have 3 SATA slots free and PCIe 1x slot free...

About the PCIe slot... I kinda wanted to use that slot for USB C expansion card to have more USB slots because the motherboard has 6 plus 3 on top of my case (yes I know its alot but having more fast USB slots is always better than having 3 USB 3.0 and 6 USB 2.0). So the another question is what if I buy a PCIe 1x to PCIe 16x riser (I looked it up and I found some online) and then I buy PCIe card with 3 or 4 m.2 slots on it, connect all my drives (all 3 drives separately, not all together in raid config or whatever to show up as one big 4.5TB drive). This idea could theoretically work I think... Sharing bandwidth YES but the fact that I will always use one of the drives at a time, they wont have OS installed on them and will purely serve as a drive for games that do not need high SSD speeds (for that I have the 980 PRO with windows on it which is 2TB and then 870 QVO for some large games that I would like to have loaded up faster like Fallout 4 with 500 mods).

Is there any way for me to do it right to have all SSD's where I want them to be or is the only way to use USB C adapter with possibility to corrupt all my data again and lose it all?

Quick update: The drives in said Sata converter had power, all 3 of them were at like 60 degrees (they were in a temporary place in HDD enclosure with no airflow at that time) so the board did deliver power to the SSD's BUT SSD's gave no signal out. The code on the m.2 socket is mirrored (my m.2 has it on the right to had all the chips and info on the top, in the adapter I had to turn it around so the SSD was upside down in there but it did go in, pins are all the same and they did had contact with the SSD) sooo I do think that the board is either junk that just doesnt work on anything or is just for old m.2 sata SSD's that are basically ancient... BUT what I dont understand is that I had m.2 NVMe SSD in past and I had a laptop with a 240GB SSD in it, I opened the laptop to swap my 2TB SSD for the smol 240GB SSD and the 240GB SSD was Sata SSD and my NVMe SSD worked in that slot perfectly... So I just dont understand now what the hell is going on here...

Didn't read all of the wall of text but maybe just buy a SATA SSD doh 😛

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Firstly- please use a proper spec form, which goes:

CPU:
GPU:
MoBo:
RAM
Cooler: (Optional)
Storage:
PSU:

Otherwise it's impossible to read. No offense, there's a lot of things that shouldn't be here in the first place.

< removed by moderation >

Back to the question tho. The only thing you can possibly do is grab external NVME enclosures (something like this https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Type-C-Tool-Free-Enclosure-EC-SNVE/dp/B08RVC6F9Y/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=nvme+enclosure&qid=1696929108&sr=8-1) and fill up those USB ports you planned to add. You'll have a huge bottleneck since 1x PCI-E 4.0 can go up to 4GBs speeds.

There's no obvious way to convert NVME to SATA. These are different protocols and standards, most of those carrier cards are just adapters from m.2 slot to SATA slot. Only carrier cards that can 'convert' is NVME to PCI-E. Since you're out of slots, that won't help you very much.

UPD: I'm not even talking about a wrong section. How the devil a storage issue is in AUDIO SECTION?

image.png.894c4179751c28d8d0e5bd9fdc33afd8.png

Edited by LogicalDrm

If ain't workin', break it and then call the tech support

*** Thread cleaned ***

Trash talking doesn't help anyone. Not OP to fix their format into more readable format (I had to read it 3 times to figure whether this was Troubleshooting or Storage) or others to be more helpful. So if your intention only is to trash format of the posts, just don't bother to reply. Posting here is not mandatory, your whining doesn't change that, nor does it improve your "cool score".

Also moved to Troubleshooting. Please be mindful where you post to receive best possible help on your questions.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 minutes ago, Sipuha said:

Firstly- please use a proper spec form, which goes:

CPU:
GPU:
MoBo:
RAM
Cooler: (Optional)
Storage:
PSU:

Otherwise it's impossible to read. No offense, there's a lot of things that shouldn't be here in the first place.

< removed by moderation >

Back to the question tho. The only thing you can possibly do is grab external NVME enclosures (something like this https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Type-C-Tool-Free-Enclosure-EC-SNVE/dp/B08RVC6F9Y/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=nvme+enclosure&qid=1696929108&sr=8-1) and fill up those USB ports you planned to add. You'll have a huge bottleneck since 1x PCI-E 4.0 can go up to 4GBs speeds.

There's no obvious way to convert NVME to SATA. These are different protocols and standards, most of those carrier cards are just adapters from m.2 slot to SATA slot. Only carrier cards that can 'convert' is NVME to PCI-E. Since you're out of slots, that won't help you very much.

UPD: I'm not even talking about a wrong section. How the devil a storage issue is in AUDIO SECTION?

image.png.894c4179751c28d8d0e5bd9fdc33afd8.png

Oh sorry, I did not realized I posted this in Audio (I had an issue with speakers going stand by before and I guess I did not change the category, my bad).

Anyways, yeah I have NVMe to Type C right now but like I said, it corrupts the drives once in a while... (so far in past 10 months it happened 3 times, on one drive it  happened 2 times, on second drive it happened once).

Just now, wUnp said:

I just don't really think that using USB for constant storage is an optimal idea since anything UNIVERSAL (get it? cause UniversalSerialBus. i'm awful at puns) is never good at one specific task.
So really @PDifolco idea about changing to SATA SSDs is the only thing you can do, if you don't consider to upgrade your PC prematurely (like changing to a MoBo to with more PCIe slots and buy NVME-PCIE carrier card or to a MoBo with more NVME slots) and if you're using these SSDs like a mass storage and you don't require quick access times.

If ain't workin', break it and then call the tech support

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Thread cleaned ***

Trash talking doesn't help anyone. Not OP to fix their format into more readable format (I had to read it 3 times to figure whether this was Troubleshooting or Storage) or others to be more helpful. So if your intention only is to trash format of the posts, just don't bother to reply. Posting here is not mandatory, your whining doesn't change that, nor does it improve your "cool score".

Also moved to Troubleshooting. Please be mindful where you post to receive best possible help on your questions.

IDK what "cool score" you are talking about. Anyways, when I go to a forum, post my specs and the issue I am facing, I am being bombarded with stuff like "update windows, update drivers, what chipset is your MOBO" and many other information that is not related to the issue at all but for some reason people want to know it. But when I make a post with all related information and all the other information where I specifically explain on why I picked said parts for my PC, that is also wrong...

Sorry for making the post in wrong category, I dont think I will come here ever again, I rather use Reddit like I did until a year ago and I will rather deal with all them toxic people insulting me in comments and making fun of me while knowing that I wont get banned if I insult them back... Here I insulted nobody, was not rude to anyone nor toxic, yet I am the bad guy here because I dont have much issues with PC so I dont come here often and then the toxic flex from the other guy with his 200+ solved problems compared to my 2 simple issues that I had to solve all by myself in the end anyways, that is just sad.

Look at my previous post with my speakers... I said it goes to stand by and turns off and people started saying that its static electricity or ground issue even tho they have no clue that EU has a regulation that all high power speakers have to turn off and go to stand by mode in a few seconds after no audio output is detected... I had to dig around for 2 weeks on google, downloading fishy files from github trynna solve it and in the end I did...

That being said, considet this topic closed or remove it if you can, I aint coming back to this toxic place and I feel stupid that I was thinking that this place could be better than reddit yet its way worse than reddit... (slow response time, no real insights on said issue, babling about stuff that makes no sense (like "Just but SATA SSD"), flexing with "solved" issues and so on... 

Sorry again for posting in wrong category, please delete this or something, I am logging off and wont be coming back. GLHF

5 minutes ago, Sipuha said:

Thanks mate. I bought all the PC components 2 weeks ago (except them SSD's, I have these for a year or so) so I dont think I will return it and buy a new. I will consider to look for some stuff and for now I will use just the NVMe to USB C enclosure.

7 minutes ago, wUnp said:

That being said, considet this topic closed or remove it if you can, I aint coming back to this toxic place and I feel stupid that I was thinking that this place could be better than reddit yet its way worse than reddit... (slow response time, no real insights on said issue, babling about stuff that makes no sense (like "Just but SATA SSD"), flexing with "solved" issues and so on... 

Sorry again for posting in wrong category, please delete this or something, I am logging off and wont be coming back. GLHF

Posting on public forums means that you will get all kinds of responses, both good and bad. Its how you react to those posts that matters. Your original post is hard to read. Not because it contains too much or too little information, but because its rather rambling in style. Not having much of punctuation doesn't help either. This post is much better.

There will be always those who will act as dicks. We can try and root it out, but we cannot fully stop it. You can do your part by reporting and ignoring those who only want to cause havoc or annoyance, and concentrate on those who are actually providing help. Personally, I doubt you will find some fantasy land where you won't get any dickish commenters and therefore all forums on the internet will show as "toxic" to you. When in reality it is couple of bad persons in sea of good ones.

Edited by LogicalDrm
So many typos

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 minutes ago, wUnp said:

Thanks mate. I bought all the PC components 2 weeks ago (except them SSD's, I have these for a year or so) so I dont think I will return it and buy a new. I will consider to look for some stuff and for now I will use just the NVMe to USB C enclosure.

So I gave you the solution but you felt insulted by having no tolerance for a bit of irony...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones