New Motherboard and CPU, No post, CPU Error Light

The Hope

I use the Biostar B760MZ-E PRO and i5-12600k and Kingston Fury RAM @ 6000MHz.

When I turn on the PC it makes a very short electric sound. The blue light stays on but the PC is not running, I can extinguish the blue light by holding the power button down for a long time.

When I turn on the PC I see very briefly a red light that indicates there is a CPU problem because it is the first light of the four error lights.

I haven't tried resetting the CMOS yet. Will do it later, but I don't feel that this is going to be it.

I have a feeling it might be a problem with the next connector:

ATX_12V_2X4: ATX Power Source Connector
The connector provides +12V to the CPU power circuit. If the CPU power plug is 4-pin, please
plug it into Pin 1-2-5-6 of ATX_12V_2X4

It seems it might need an 8pin connector. But I only have two 4-pin connectors that I have tried in all possible combinations (plugging the two in together, and plugging one of the two in along the top and then bottom connector. I have an old power supply, but had no problems with my previous motherboard that used the same power supply.

I don't feel like the CPU is inserted incorrectly into the socket, but maybe it's inserted upside down? Is that at all possible? This is a very unlikely train of thought because I had it plugged into the socket in the most logical way.

One last thing possible is that I didn't plug in the connectors for the front panel buttons (power on/off and reset) correctly, but I've tried several combinations and it doesn't seem to be this.

What is the most likely cause for the general problem?

E.g. a faulty CPU or a faulty motherboard?

OS: FreeBSD 13.3  WM: bspwm  Hardware: Intel 12600KF -- Kingston dual-channel CL36 @6200 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB

Hey... You made sure to line up the triangles, right?

image.png.871c3f643bdfff728ed37995bdba3711.png

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Hey... You made sure to line up the triangles, right?

image.png.871c3f643bdfff728ed37995bdba3711.png

I will check this again later to be sure, but I would be very surprised if the CPU is not plugged in properly.

With the exception of the CPU having a problem, or possibly not plugging in properly, I have actually investigated all the other possible causes currently.

None of my troubleshooting steps had any impact with the exception of the following:

JCMOS: Clear CMOS Jumper
The jumper allows users to restore the BIOS safe setting and the CMOS data. Please carefully
follow the procedures to avoid damaging the motherboard.

Clear CMOS Procedures:
1. Remove AC power line.
2. Set the jumper to “Pin 1-2 short”, you can use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the
two pins.
3. Wait for five seconds.
4. After clearing the CMOS values, be sure the jumper is “Pin 1-2 open”.
5. Power on the AC.
6. Load Optimal Defaults and save settings in CMOS.

After following these steps I need to plug the power back in, so I plug the power back in and then I see something remarkable. The PC's blue light is on even though I haven't started the PC. I am under the impression that this is not the intention that this light is suddenly on when you just plug in the power but have not turned on the PC.

Then when I boot up the PC after that I see the same old problem again, the red light comes on very briefly and indicates a CPU problem. If I then press the power button for a very long time, the blue light goes out again.

If I then clear the CMOS Jumper again I see the same thing. The blue light suddenly comes on when I plug the PC back into power, although I never turned the PC on.

As a result, I have a very strong impression that something is wrong with the motherboard, and I think I'm going to have to send it back so they can verify that it was delivered with a manufacturing defect.

I did some searching around but I don't see anyone who has ever reported the exact same problem on a forum, which surprises me.

A third explanation is that the RAM is not compatible with the motherboard, but that would greatly surprise me since it is one of the most popular Kingston RAM sets. The motherboard supports up to 6400 MHz of RAM and the Kingston set is at 6000 MHz.

OS: FreeBSD 13.3  WM: bspwm  Hardware: Intel 12600KF -- Kingston dual-channel CL36 @6200 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB

The RAM is KF560C40BBK2-16

It is listed as compatible with the motherboard: https://pangoly.com/en/compatibility/biostar-b760mz-e-pro/ram

Biostar itself doesn't say it is supported: https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=1096#memorysupport

If I were to make a guess I would say there is only a 0.1% chance that the problem is caused by the RAM.

I would say there is a 75% chance that the motherboard is faulty, and a 25% chance that the CPU is faulty.

Please let me know if you have any tips on how to fix this.

My brother just had the CPU fault alarm (he has 13500) and it turned out to be one of the RAM modules died.  Have you tried just one of them in the slot furthest from the CPU?  I don't see that in your posts..   If it doesn't work try the other module in that same slot.

I know 12th gen doesn't work at the higher ddr5 speeds, but you should be ok to boot at stock settings...

21 minutes ago, Allan B said:

My brother just had the CPU fault alarm (he has 13500) and it turned out to be one of the RAM modules died.  Have you tried just one of them in the slot furthest from the CPU?  I don't see that in your posts..   If it doesn't work try the other module in that same slot.

Thank you, I had already tried this. The only thing I can try at the moment is to unscrew my other PC and take out a DDR4 module there to test if it works then. If this doesn't work either we can say that there are only two possible explanations left:
-defective CPU
-defective motherboard

25 minutes ago, Allan B said:

I know 12th gen doesn't work at the higher ddr5 speeds, but you should be ok to boot at stock settings...

'Works for me. I'm on a 12700K. The Z690 Extreme may have something to do with it working stable and all. It's an overkill board, but then, you can run these sticks stable with just XMP. I did upgrade its BIOS to the latest before anything else. '

'Really? runs at 6400 with XMP on my z690 Extreme'

'same here, I have GSkill SJaw running at 6400 on a ROG Z690-E with an i7 12700k by just enabling the xmp profile '

https://www.biostar-europe.com/app/de/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=1096

Supports Dual Channel DDR5 - 6000+(OC) / 6000(OC) /5800(OC) / 5600(OC)/ 5400(OC)/ 5200(OC)/ 5000(OC)/ 4800
4 x DDR5 DIMM Memory Slot, Max. Supports up to 192 GB Memory
Each DIMM supports non-ECC 8/ 16/ 24/ 32/ 48 GB DDR5 module
Support Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

My impression is that it should work at 6000 MHz on this particular Biostar motherboard.

59 minutes ago, The Hope said:

The only thing I can try at the moment is to unscrew my other PC and take out a DDR4 module there to test if it works then.

It apparently only supports DDR5 so I can't actually test if any other type of RAM will work.

With the red error lights, there is a distinction between the DRAM light and the CPU light. The DRAM light is not lit but the CPU light is lit.

I think that with a RAM problem, the DRAM light would be on rather than the CPU light.

The motherboard seems to say it is not a RAM problem, which leaves only two other options.

I made a mistake with the ATX power connector on the motherboard. 

You have to click two blocks together and I didn't do this. The second block was incorrectly orientated as a result.

It was a bit of a stupid mistake that I didn't make in any previous build.

It works fine now as you can see.

spacer.png