NVMe for OS storage

Go to solution Solved by filpo,
11 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Does the sn570 have any DRAM cache?

no it doesn't

12 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

does that change which will be faster?

the sn570 might be a bit slower but by 'a bit slower' it'll be like 0.5 seconds longer in booting to OS

So the 2 and 3 slots are both fine to load drives into and it wont affect speeds?

I'd put your fastest drive in the top slot and then put your slowest one in the bottom slot. And the middle one in the middle ofc

I recently got a second NVMe for very cheap, currently have a 1TB SN850 for game storage and im looking to upgrade to a sabrent rocket 4-plus g 2tb as space is getting low fast with game sizing constantly on the rise. The cheap drive I picked up is a 500GB WD Blue sn 570.

My main question is at what point does drive speed produce diminishing returns for OS storage and boot, should i wait until i get the new Sabrent and repurpose my sn850 (7000mbps) for os storage and boot or just swap OS over now and work off the WD Blue (3500mbps). Will the extra speed from the SN850 be noticeable? (Also motherboard has 3 NVMe slots so all 3 will be used in some way, side question, does this split bandwidth between NVMe slots and is it worth using all 3 slots in this scenario? If so NVMe can be repurposed to a second build. Motherboard is MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk)

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

8 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Will the extra speed from the SN850 be noticeable?

for OS boot times? No most likely not since the sn850 doesn't have any dram cache

9 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

does this split bandwidth between NVMe slots

some of the communication may just go through the chipset (the top nvme slot is normally always directly connected to the CPU)

10 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

is it worth using all 3 slots in this scenario?

if you want/need the extra storage then sure

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

15 minutes ago, filpo said:

for OS boot times? No most likely not since the sn850 doesn't have any dram cache

some of the communication may just go through the chipset (the top nvme slot is normally always directly connected to the CPU)

if you want/need the extra storage then sure

Does the sn570 have any DRAM cache? and if not, does that change which will be faster?

So the 2 and 3 slots are both fine to load drives into and it wont affect speeds?

System specs:

Windows OS only cares about Random Read write speeds. Those advertised speeds are usually sequential, really useful when you're transferring over a 1TB file. DRAM is usefull of quickly copy pasting files on the drive.

These random read writes are hard to improve and thus improve a bit by bit each generation, not enough to really notice a huge change in using windows.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Windows OS only cares about Random Read write speeds. Those advertised speeds are usually sequential, really useful when you're transferring over a 1TB file. DRAM is usefull of quickly copy pasting files on the drive.

These random read writes are hard to improve and thus improve a bit by bit each generation, not enough to really notice a huge change in using windows.

Thanks thats handy to know.

Do you reckon there would be a noticeable difference between 7000/5300 (SN850 mbps) vs 3500/2300 (SN570 mbps) for OS boot then?

System specs:

11 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Does the sn570 have any DRAM cache?

no it doesn't

does that change which will be faster?

the sn570 might be a bit slower but by 'a bit slower' it'll be like 0.5 seconds longer in booting to OS

I'd put your fastest drive in the top slot and then put your slowest one in the bottom slot. And the middle one in the middle ofc

Current parts list

1 minute ago, TatamiMatt said:

Thanks thats handy to know.

Do you reckon there would be a noticeable difference between 7000/5300 (SN850 mbps) vs 3500/2300 (SN570 mbps) for OS boot then?

Not really. Not if you aren't using very precise stop-clock/timer. Talking about milliseconds probably.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, filpo said:

no it doesn't

Yeah was going to order them by speed, i think the B650 tomahawy boards M.2 slot 3 is actually the middle one from what i can make out?

System specs:

1 minute ago, TatamiMatt said:

3 is actually the middle one from what i can make out?

if that's what it says in the manual follow that

Current parts list

Dram cache is irrelivant in tasks that involve only reading. It is used to allow for fast writing of very large files, it has almost no effect on read speeds.

Booting is a mixture of random and sequential reads. Unfortuantly random reads arn't sped up much by using an NVMe drive. The sequential reads are sped up, and I believe microsoft have spent some time optimising windows so much of the on boot reads are sequential. However, a faster NVMe drive still won't actually save much time cause your reaching the point of deminishing returns.

Atm the best value for money in my opinion is the Cruicial P3. You can go PCIe gen 4 but I doubt you'll ever notice the difference.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

5 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Yeah was going to order them by speed, i think the B650 tomahawy boards M.2 slot 3 is actually the middle one from what i can make out?

Whitch do you think is "3"?
image.png.9231d0a124ff3653e0e5de1486196fd3.png

M.2_1 Source (From CPU) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 , supports 2280/2260 devices
M.2_2 Source (From CPU) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 , supports 2280/2260 devices
M.2_3 Source (From Chipset) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 , supports 2280/2260 devices

M.2_1 and M.2_2 are typically going to be faster than M.2_3 because they don't go through the chipset (but I doubt you'd ever actually notice a difference).

Source: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B650-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/Specification

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

3 is the last one to occupy. 1 is the most consistent as far as I know.

Thanks all, to be honest, I've only glanced over the board once, I'm putting it together this weekend, the 3 slot comes with a heatsink so I assumed this would be the faster out of the 2 and 3 slots, haven't actually looked at anything in detail yet! I'll probably put windows on the sn570 in slot 3 then, the sn850 in the 2 slots which works well with it having a built in heatisnk and no mobo heatsink in that slot, and finally the sabrent when I get it in the 1st slot

Thanks again for the help!

System specs:

6 hours ago, venomtail said:

Any time I've tried a dramless drive system responsiveness feels a lot more laggy...  I had a "Samsung 980" briefly on one machine and returned it.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator