Motherboard Brand Reputations

Hey guys,

I will have to buy a new motherboard, and figured I ought to wait for 14th gen intel to come out. Buying such a new cpu will stress my budget, and I will definitely be buying a mid to low tier motherboard.

I was hoping someone could give a quick run down of who people like in this category and who they are wary of. Asrock for instance used to be a laughing stock, but I watched the Asus video from Jazytwocents where he said he would seriously consider going with asrock over asus - so I have no idea where the market is anymore and dont want to assume the big guys like MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, and EVGA are still top quality products, especially in the budget range...

Shipping sucks

9 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

Hey guys,

I will have to buy a new motherboard, and figured I ought to wait for 14th gen intel to come out. Buying such a new cpu will stress my budget, and I will definitely be buying a mid to low tier motherboard.

I was hoping someone could give a quick run down of who people like in this category and who they are wary of. Asrock for instance used to be a laughing stock, but I watched the Asus video from Jazytwocents where he said he would seriously consider going with asrock over asus - so I have no idea where the market is anymore and dont want to assume the big guys like MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, and EVGA are still top quality products, especially in the budget range...

asrock is good for mid range mobos. There lga 1700 offerings are a bit overpriced in my opinion for a mid range product. 

Intel Core i7 11700F + EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING RTX 3070 OC + 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM + ASROCK Z590 Steel Legend WIFI 6E + Razer Hanbo 360mm AIO + Corsair RM850X + Deepcool CH510 Case + Acer Nitro XV271 280hz Gaming Monitor 

On 10/4/2023 at 2:00 PM, GSTARR said:

Gigabyte and ASRock tend to have the cheapest options. Both still have reliable products.

You have to compare specific models rather than brands. All of the manufacturers have had good motherboards, and they all have for a while (the best Z170 board, for instance, is the Z170M OC Formula from ASRock, the best Z97 board is the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC Force LN2, the best Z390 board is the ASUS Maximus XI Apex, the best Z590 board is the EVGA Z590 Dark, and MSI had the best AM4 board with the B550 Unify-X), and they all have had some pretty terrible motherboards. Even within the same price range you can have boards that are mediocre and boards that are good (B660M PG Riptide is an amazing board for the price, while something like the H670 PG Riptide is mediocre at best for the same money). 

The only thing the brand should really tell you about a board is who's RMA department you'd have to deal with and what their BIOS is going to look like. For the quality of the motherboard it's basically meaningless. 

For me I've been running a number of Z170 and AM4 board from gigabyte and only ever had one issue. (In the UK) The RMA for that went smoothly and the replacement still runs in a friends media/steam(streaming) PC 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240