RTX 4090 Constant BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

ManEatingFridge
Go to solution Solved by ManEatingFridge,
On 10/15/2023 at 10:29 AM, Mark Kaine said:

Funny enough that error message pretty much guarantees its *not* the gpu (directly at least)

replace this with real ram, 2 sticks only, trident z

Funny enough that I got the GPU refunded and after putting in a new one it fixed all of my issues.

I tried another power cable, same issue. I have 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z (2x32), never had any issue with the memory. I just got the 4090 replaced and am on my way home to see if this new GPU has the same issue. I'll reply if the issue persists. If you don't hear back then the new GPU works (and the old one probably had something wrong with it).

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 10:29 AM, Mark Kaine said:

Funny enough that error message pretty much guarantees its *not* the gpu (directly at least)

replace this with real ram, 2 sticks only, trident z

Funny enough that I got the GPU refunded and after putting in a new one it fixed all of my issues.

Send help

• 3 months later...

I recently did an RMA for a 4090 with this same issue. When I got the new one the issue persisted. As it turns out the GPU wasn't seated correctly due to the bracket lifting it ever so slightly out of its slot. I took the three screws out of the bracket that hold the GPU to the case and I layed the case on its side and reseated the card and boom! Issue gone! 

20 minutes ago, Bailmage said:

I recently did an RMA for a 4090 with this same issue. When I got the new one the issue persisted. As it turns out the GPU wasn't seated correctly due to the bracket lifting it ever so slightly out of its slot. I took the three screws out of the bracket that hold the GPU to the case and I layed the case on its side and reseated the card and boom! Issue gone! 

🤔 so it was a PEBCAK issue? 

First, glad you got the new GPU and that fixed the issue!

Just saw post because it was marked solved. I realized adding this here might help someone in the future as if I'd seen the original post, I might've been able to save some people some time.

You still might want to run MemTest86 for 12 passes to verify your RAM is 100% stable.

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with the Corsair RAM, and you can very likely get it to run at overclocked settings.

But, MY RAM IS ON THE QVL!  What are you babbling on about?!

You did buy two kits. It doesn't matter that they are identical kits or that the kit is on the QVL. It is still four modules and two kits (not one).

If you look at your motherboard RAM Qualified Vendor List (QVL) you'll notice they specifically identify 2 module kits and 4 module kits. This is the only way to theoretically guarantee that the RAM will work at overclocked settings and be stable.

image.thumb.png.8ed8a5d77fd677e572095fd9fc8e5c30.png

Also, did you update your motherboard UEFI to the latest firmware? This is especially important on AM5 as they are still sorting out stability issues. 

The other thing you can do (to possibly help stability) is to re-match the original pairs and make sure they are matched together in the slots (not side-by-side but in alternating slots). You'll need to use CPU-Z or read the stickers to get the serial numbers to match the original kits up.

Also, if your PSU is undersized/having issues, 99% of the time the PC just shuts off instantly. That would normally be one of the last things you check IMO.

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!