[Help] ARGB Controller not recognized

Muffin.
Go to solution Solved by Muffin.,

Hey,

I recently bought an ARGB controller to get my fan lights working (I don't have an ARGB header on my motherboard). Yesterday put everything together, the lights work, but I wanted to control them from the Master+ software. When opening the software, it shows that no supported devices found, even though, I think it should work with the software even if my fans are DeepCool FC120s.

How I connected it:

• Usb connector on motherboard to the controller;
  • ARGB fan cables connected to the controller;
  • SATA for power to the controller;
  • PWM connector to CPU fan header on motherboard + the cable has a female connector as well, which I connected to the actual CPU fan (the CPU fan IS NOT one of the ARGB fans, just a regular one).

My ARGB fan PWM cables are connected to a fan hub not the controller, only ARGB cables from fans are connected to the controller. So I thought that maybe I need to connect the PWM cable from controller to the fan hub maybe? Can this be the issue, that I have non ARGB fan connected to the PWM female connector from controller?

In Windows device manager it shows 1 device that is "Device descriptor request failed", that's probably the controller I'm guessing and that's probably the reason why the Master+ software is not recognizing any devices.

if you dont have an ARGB header then you cant control the RGB as far as i can tell. the A is for addressable or controllable RGB. without that header, you just have what amounts to LEDs in a case. again as far as i can tell.

On 9/30/2023 at 9:50 AM, Muffin. said:

Tdkid is correct, so why did you credit yourself?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

11 hours ago, RevGAM said:

you think they might be able to with the new corsair icue link system? it doesnt have an ARGB header. well at least the AIOs dont. PSU cable for power, USB header plug and CPU pump fan header cables. 

It looks to me that if you want to control the fans lighting from the software you have to be hooked up to the mobo argb header so they can talk to each other, BUT i see it has config buttons on the outside of the rgb boxes case and you may be able to configure it that way and watching the leds as you cycle thru the settings. That was why i explained what i went thru with my build and showed you what i used so you dont have to use software, you dont have to hook it up to a mobo and its got all the bells and whistles separately.

6 hours ago, tdkid said:

you think they might be able to with the new corsair icue link system? it doesnt have an ARGB header. well at least the AIOs dont. PSU cable for power, USB header plug and CPU pump fan header cables. 

I'm not sure about that and I'm on my phone at work, which I find not to be conducive to research. Maybe remind me in 10 hours 😆.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

On 9/30/2023 at 6:06 AM, Muffin. said:

Hey,

I recently bought an ARGB controller to get my fan lights working (I don't have an ARGB header on my motherboard). Yesterday put everything together, the lights work, but I wanted to control them from the Master+ software. When opening the software, it shows that no supported devices found, even though, I think it should work with the software even if my fans are DeepCool FC120s.

How I connected it:

• Usb connector on motherboard to the controller;
  • ARGB fan cables connected to the controller;
  • SATA for power to the controller;
  • PWM connector to CPU fan header on motherboard + the cable has a female connector as well, which I connected to the actual CPU fan (the CPU fan IS NOT one of the ARGB fans, just a regular one).

My ARGB fan PWM cables are connected to a fan hub not the controller, only ARGB cables from fans are connected to the controller. So I thought that maybe I need to connect the PWM cable from controller to the fan hub maybe? Can this be the issue, that I have non ARGB fan connected to the PWM female connector from controller?

In Windows device manager it shows 1 device that is "Device descriptor request failed", that's probably the controller I'm guessing and that's probably the reason why the Master+ software is not recognizing any devices.

The fact is, if you want to be able to control lights that are on a controller, but the controller isn't plugged into the ARGB header, you'd have to create a hardware solution to bridge them together. Otherwise, you can only use whatever came with the controller. 

On 9/30/2023 at 6:50 AM, Muffin. said:

I have this exact controller, and it does on fact control ARGB with its header, the motherboard does not require the functionality for it to work. Settings are limited but it should in fact work.

Try a different USB cable, and make sure it has SATA power connected. Then reinstall the coolermaster software.

16 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

I have this exact controller, and it does on fact control ARGB with its header, the motherboard does not require the functionality for it to work. Settings are limited but it should in fact work.

Try a different USB cable, and make sure it has SATA power connected. Then reinstall the coolermaster software.

Thanks, I completely forgot about the possibility of it being connected via another system like USB.

On 10/2/2023 at 5:18 PM, RevGAM said:

no that statement is not correct lol 

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

no that statement is not correct lol 

It is correct, unless there is another way to connect the LEDs to the mobo, at least not with BIOS or software. You can still use any controls on the FC, or a remote if it has one, of course. 

3 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

It is correct, unless there is another way to connect the LEDs to the mobo, at least not with BIOS or software. You can still use any controls on the FC, or a remote if it has one, of course. 

it is. its called usb 

8 minutes ago, NorKris said:

it is. its called usb 

Oh...

4 hours ago, RevGAM said:
5 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

Thanks, I completely forgot about the possibility of it being connected via another system like USB.

Too slow!