GPU performance increases when decreasing power limit help.

SANTEM2345

Basically when increasing power limit my fps drops but when I decrease power limit my fps goes back to kinda normal (a bit less than stock performance). This only started happening and I was about to sell my GPU

I need help with this situation, please watch the video

That is normal and expected, especially with Furmark.

Furmark will use as much power as you can give. The card clocks are affected by temperature. The more power you have the higher temperature you have. The higher temperature you have the lower clocks you have.

Furmark is completely unrealistic scenario for how the card will behave in normal use cases though, you shouldn't see this kind of behavior on the card almost ever.

For normal testing in games or workloads you need to fire up GPU-Z and monitor what the performance cap reason is. It will either say power, voltage, current or temperature or nothing (if you're not limited by the card itself).

EDIT:

Also Furmark tends to make the card max out on current rather than voltage which is another reason why the clocks fall down even lower as clocks highly depend on voltage.

NVIDIA also employs some kind of protection when it detects that Furmark is running to throttle down the card.

this is normal. and why are you using outdated software like fumark? (don't answer that please lol...)

i recommend to reset your bios, deinstall any overclocking software you may have installed and run your computer at default settings as that typically gives best and most stable experience.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

testing in games or workloads you need to fire up GPU-Z and monitor what the performance cap reason is. It will either say power, voltage, current or temperature or nothing

it never says nothing 🙂

for me it typically says "perf cap reason: idle" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Spoiler

20210326_180202.jpg.ef2c95abdcb7832c360c58a0b554ceb9.jpg

Edited by Mark Kaine
spelling

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

it never says nothing 🙂

for me it typically says "performance limit: idle" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Well, idle is basically nothing 😄

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Well, idle is basically nothing 😄

even under max load, mind you! (edited post with picture)

it very rarely says "power", like once a year lol...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

That is normal and expected, especially with Furmark.

Furmark will use as much power as you can give. The card clocks are affected by temperature. The more power you have the higher temperature you have. The higher temperature you have the lower clocks you have.

Furmark is completely unrealistic scenario for how the card will behave in normal use cases though, you shouldn't see this kind of behavior on the card almost ever.

For normal testing in games or workloads you need to fire up GPU-Z and monitor what the performance cap reason is. It will either say power, voltage, current or temperature or nothing (if you're not limited by the card itself).

EDIT:

Also Furmark tends to make the card max out on current rather than voltage which is another reason why the clocks fall down even lower as clocks highly depend on voltage.

NVIDIA also employs some kind of protection when it detects that Furmark is running to throttle down the card.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

this is normal. and why are you using outdated software like fumark? (don't answer that please lol...)

i recommend to reset your bios, deinstall any overclocking software you may have installed and run your computer at default settings as that typically gives best and most stable experience.  

thank you for the responses but I did test it in cyberpunk and its the same situation, GPU-Z also says my perfcap reasons is vRel, VOp and PWR. 

14 minutes ago, SANTEM2345 said:

thank you for the responses but I did test it in cyberpunk and its the same situation, GPU-Z also says my perfcap reasons is vRel, VOp and PWR. 

OK. There is definitely something weird going on. Considering there is only 5% extra power limit I don't think it matters anyways but it should NOT cut your FPS from roughly 70 to  roughly 40, lol.

You should actually see some small performance increase or none at all at best.

I've never actually seen GPU-Z to report VOp

VOp = Operating. Indicating perf is limited by max operating voltage

So it seems like your card is for some reason using lower clocks at higher voltage. Can you check the voltage/frequency curve in MSI Afterburner by pressing CTRL+F ?

35 minutes ago, WereCat said:

OK. There is definitely something weird going on. Considering there is only 5% extra power limit I don't think it matters anyways but it should NOT cut your FPS from roughly 70 to  roughly 40, lol.

You should actually see some small performance increase or none at all at best.

I've never actually seen GPU-Z to report VOp

VOp = Operating. Indicating perf is limited by max operating voltage

So it seems like your card is for some reason using lower clocks at higher voltage. Can you check the voltage/frequency curve in MSI Afterburner by pressing CTRL+F ?

image.thumb.png.bf7e379222ad924790bde8095f065d28.png

It looks normal.