Rightclick is slow (context menu, creating folders, ...)

Hi everyone,

Like the title says, right clicking for context menu on desktop, or creating a new folder (in file explorer or when saving something in that window).

I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise, version 22H2 19045.3516.

What I've done already done:

• Checking CrystalDiskInfo to see of my two Samsung 1Tb NVMe drivers are doing okay. One is a Samsung OEM ROG generic one (2y old) the other is 970 EVO (~5y old, I think). SMART say both 98-99% good.
  • Did the extended way of sfc /scannow a few times, sometimes it fixes things other times it will find no fault. (With the Chris Titus Tech Ultimate Windows Tool)
  • Wiped the free space on both SSDs, I know this is not a good thing, but I found that sometimes this helps.
  • DDU videodrivers and reinstalled them.

My hardware is ROG Strix G15 513QM (AMD 5900HX with 3060 Mobile 6Gb and 32Gb of ram). I'm using this laptop mainly for school and I know I should format and reinstall Windows.

But that's a real pain now, I need my laptop and everything installed to do assignments and projects. So I'm hoping I can find a way to fix it. My Windows install is just the way I can work productively.

Hoping someone has a tip for me 🙂

Thank in advance

Kinds regards

roopx

Your system is Windows 11 ready. You should upgrade to Windows 11 for the new context menu, which asynchronously load applications items to it, instead of synchronously. In other words, it shows the menu with "Loading..." on the menu items which takes time to load. And not to wait for Windows to load each item one at a time, until everything is loaded and then shows the menu. If one is stuck somewhere due to a bug, or just slow to do what it needs to do, you'll need to wait like you are experiencing now.

So, yes, people complained about Win11 context menu, because their favorite apps feature lazy devs who don't want to upgrade. Now it is less and less an issue, as communities are pushing and devs are forced to add support.