Need help reusing chomebook motherboard as a Pi replacement

Hi, I got a chromebook (Dell 3100) motherboard for free, and want to use it as a temporary replacement for a pi-like mini PC I'm waiting on. Currently I'm stuck, as while I have a USB C to HDMI for video out, as far as I can tell you need to get into chromeOS to change video output. I do not want to spend money on this, but I do want to do what I can to do something with it. Is there any way to wipe it and load linux on it without video? Anything else I could do with it?

You could but a chromebook you got for free most likely has VERY LOW END hardware. I'm not saying it can't run a lightweight Linux but it won't be pleasant. Also, any sort of drivers for this hardware could be scarce. 

Intel Core i7 11700F + EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING RTX 3070 OC + 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM + ASROCK Z590 Steel Legend WIFI 6E + Razer Hanbo 360mm AIO + Corsair RM850X + Deepcool CH510 Case + Acer Nitro XV271 280hz Gaming Monitor 

19 minutes ago, HypixelBedwars said:

You could but a chromebook you got for free most likely has VERY LOW END hardware. I'm not saying it can't run a lightweight Linux but it won't be pleasant. Also, any sort of drivers for this hardware could be scarce. 

yeah, I'm planning on using it to run super lightweight stuff and experiment with a lightweight OS. I'm not too worried about performance for what I'm doing

33 minutes ago, HypixelBedwars said:

The hardware used in those low end Chromebooks was pretty common and mass produced. I don't think drivers should be an issue.

Do you have a USB keyboard to try in the USB A port? Maybe guess your way into the BIOS?

Looking up that board it's $100-$150 USD which is surprising for such low specs and old hardware.

3 minutes ago, Zomeguy said:

The hardware used in those low end Chromebooks was pretty common and mass produced. I don't think drivers should be an issue.

Do you have a USB keyboard to try in the USB A port? Maybe guess your way into the BIOS?

Looking up that board it's $100-$150 USD which is surprising for such low specs and old hardware.

I do, but without video I'm not sure what that would do for me. I might be able to find compatible parts in other broken laptops I have, I'll post here if I do

Every Chromebook I have tested has auto displayed to external monitors, and every laptop I have tested have set the external display as main display when the built in display is not connected

As you got the board for free, how do you know it is working at all?

You only have one USB-C port, I guess you are using a dock to both supply power and get video. The dock might not be compatible

I have seen Chromebooks that will not post without a battery 

You are also missing a daughter board. Some Chromebooks will not post without its daughter board 

5 hours ago, Selle said:

Every Chromebook I have tested has auto displayed to external monitors, and every laptop I have tested have set the external display as main display when the built in display is not connected

As you got the board for free, how do you know it is working at all?

You only have one USB-C port, I guess you are using a dock to both supply power and get video. The dock might not be compatible

I have seen Chromebooks that will not post without a battery 

You are also missing a daughter board. Some Chromebooks will not post without its daughter board 

This was meant for the trash and there is a good chance it is broken, but when plugged in the light flashes orange. Also I don't think this model has a daughterboard, image from online source for reference

Dell Chromebook 3100 Teardown, removing the motherboard: step 3, image 1 of 2