Intel XMP Ram In AM5 Motherboard.

Hey there, i hope you guys are doing good.

So for the past week i have been thinking about upgrading from an Intel 13700K to the Ryzen 7800X3D, i can return the mobo and the CPU to microcenter cuz i have been having some problems like crashing atleast once a day or even a complete random shutoff of the PC due to a scratch i caused when i was changing the CPU retention bracket to the thermalright one to improve temps. but i don't want to change the Ram (cuz i like it).

I have 64GB of G Skill trident Z 6400MT/s that i can even push to 7000Mt/s but it says Intel XMP on the box, Ik that AMD used XPM before and it did not matter which ram is used in both platforms as long as it was DDR4 or 3 but with DDR5 AMD invented this stupid Expo config that did not even want to work when the AM5 was first released(i had a 7900x before i switched to intel 13700K)

So my question is, will i be able to keep the ram i have now or should I return in to microcenter too for an exchange?

I am all for experimenting but i really don't have the time to keep running back and forth to microcenter, I'm planning to rebuild my PC this weekend.

Thanks in advance

15 minutes ago, SUFIAN BEN said:

So my question is, will i be able to keep the ram i have now or should I return in to microcenter too for an exchange?

Most of the cases, XMP RAM works fine even on AMD platform

AMD recently launched their own branding of RAM overclock called EXPO, but that is still not widely used compared to Intel counterpart

I have used AM5 platform on RAM that only rated for XMP (6000MT/s) and has no issue

But if you really wanna be sure, after upgrading your CPU and motherboard to AM5 platform, you can try to enable XMP on it and see if the option is available on your motherboard's BIOS

P.S.

Make sure your AM5 motherboard can support up to 7000 MT/s on their website

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

25 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

Most of the cases, XMP RAM works fine even on AMD platform

AMD recently launched their own branding of RAM overclock called EXPO, but that is still not widely used compared to Intel counterpart

I have used AM5 platform on RAM that only rated for XMP (6000MT/s) and has no issue

But if you really wanna be sure, after upgrading your CPU and motherboard to AM5 platform, you can try to enable XMP on it and see if the option is available on your motherboard's BIOS

P.S.

Make sure your AM5 motherboard can support up to 7000 MT/s on their website

Thanks for the fast reply, and Yes I already checked Asus ROG Strix x670 and it says it supports up to 8000MT/s Ram

15 minutes ago, SUFIAN BEN said:

Thanks for the fast reply, and Yes I already checked Asus ROG Strix x670 and it says it supports up to 8000MT/s Ram

No prob. Additional tech tips, ASUS has their own branding name of overclocking RAM called DOCP (Direct Overclocking Profile) instead of XMP or EXPO

They are just the same, but ASUS likes to rebrand stuff to make it stand out

So don't be surprised if you can't found XMP on ASUS motherboard's BIOS

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

"problems like crashing atleast once a day or even a complete random shutoff of the PC due to a scratch i caused"

What does this mean ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

25 minutes ago, leclod said:

"problems like crashing atleast once a day or even a complete random shutoff of the PC due to a scratch i caused"

What does this mean ?

well if you continue reading you ll understand, i scratched the Mobo while i was installing the retention bracket for the 13700K

14 minutes ago, SUFIAN BEN said:

well if you continue reading you ll understand, i scratched the Mobo while i was installing the retention bracket for the 13700K

"a complete random shutoff of the PC due to a scratch i caused" to me, this sounds like a scratch ended up causing malfunction. Which I fail to understand.

By the way, I have difficulty following your endless sentences.

I'm willing to swim against the current.

I'm running a G.Skill (Trident Z5 RGB) on my X670E Carbon Wifi with a 7950X3D at 6400MT/s currently. Yes, it is 6400MT/s XMP memory. 2x16gb kit.

18 hours ago, Slizzo said:

I'm running a G.Skill (Trident Z5 RGB) on my X670E Carbon Wifi with a 7950X3D at 6400MT/s currently. Yes, it is 6400MT/s XMP memory. 2x16gb kit.

Thanks man, seeing ppl that have the same memory i have running great is reassuring. did you use the XMP profile on the MOBO or yo had to adjust the timings and the frequency yourself to get them to work?

Also did you try to get the it to OC at least to 6600 or 6800MT/s? 

22 hours ago, leclod said:

"a complete random shutoff of the PC due to a scratch i caused" to me, this sounds like a scratch ended up causing malfunction. Which I fail to understand.

By the way, I have difficulty following your endless sentences.

2 ppl out of 3 understood it just fine while you were hung up on the backstory to why i'm returning the MOBO and CPU. thanks for ur input.

5 hours ago, SUFIAN BEN said:

Thanks man, seeing ppl that have the same memory i have running great is reassuring. did you use the XMP profile on the MOBO or yo had to adjust the timings and the frequency yourself to get them to work?

Also did you try to get the it to OC at least to 6600 or 6800MT/s? 

I have run it in XMP, but there were some AGESA releases out there that didn't play well with XMP being set, so I'm still on the "Memory Try IT!" profile that closest matches the timings of the kit from G.Skill and have my tertiary timings set to "Tightest" in BIOS. Working well enough for me.

On 9/28/2023 at 3:08 AM, SUFIAN BEN said:

Hey there, i hope you guys are doing good.

So for the past week i have been thinking about upgrading from an Intel 13700K to the Ryzen 7800X3D, i can return the mobo and the CPU to microcenter cuz i have been having some problems like crashing atleast once a day or even a complete random shutoff of the PC due to a scratch i caused when i was changing the CPU retention bracket to the thermalright one to improve temps. but i don't want to change the Ram (cuz i like it).

I have 64GB of G Skill trident Z 6400MT/s that i can even push to 7000Mt/s but it says Intel XMP on the box, Ik that AMD used XPM before and it did not matter which ram is used in both platforms as long as it was DDR4 or 3 but with DDR5 AMD invented this stupid Expo config that did not even want to work when the AM5 was first released(i had a 7900x before i switched to intel 13700K)

I am all for experimenting but i really don't have the time to keep running back and forth to microcenter, I'm planning to rebuild my PC this weekend.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like you want to return something you damaged, and at Microcenter you can.  Please make sure they don't Open Box it, let them know it's defective and not just something you don't want (to cover your ass on the scratch). Don't let someone else deal with your damage.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi