BC, Canada phone plan offer - too good to be true?

Delicieuxz

In Canada, the "big three" telecom companies, Telus, Rogers, and Bell, are notorious for keeping competition away and prices high. So, I'm skeptical about one of them offering me unlimited calling to Canada and the US, unlimited international text messaging, 6GB data, and 1,000 international minutes for $25 / month, with no expiry date for the plan. I asked them if the pricing will ever change on me, and they said it won't. They sent me an email with the basic month-to-month plan outline.

The person who called is trying to get me to switch from my $35 / month grandfathered Freedom Mobile plan, which is mostly the same thing, but with 5.5 GB of data and no free non-US international calling minutes.

Since it's a deal with more features at a significant price reduction, the logical thing is to make the switch. However, I haven't heard of the major companies offering such a good deal, and haven't even heard of the better-value smaller companies offering such a good deal, it has me concerned there could be a catch somewhere. My current $35 / month unlimited Canada and US calling, and international texting is already a great deal, and I've had it  for probably around 10 years. If I make the switch and get screwed, and no longer have my current $35 / month plan, that'd suck royally. So long as Freedom Mobile doesn't take away my current plan, I'd probably never have a reason to leave it. But for a $10 monthly discount and 1,000 free international minutes per month, it's a tempting offer.

What do you think? And anyone hear of an offer like this from the big 3 Canadian telecoms?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

In Canada, the "big three" telecom companies, Telus, Rogers, and Bell, are notorious for keeping competition away and prices high. So, I'm skeptical about one of them offering me unlimited calling to Canada and the US, unlimited international text messaging, 6GB data, and 1,000 international minutes for $25 / month, with no expiry date for the plan. I asked them if the pricing will ever change on me, and they said it won't. They sent me an email with the basic month-to-month plan outline.

The person who called is trying to get me to switch from my $35 / month grandfathered Freedom Mobile plan, which is mostly the same thing, but with 5.5 GB of data and no free non-US international calling minutes.

Since it's a deal with more features at a significant price reduction, the logical thing is to make the switch. However, I haven't heard of the major companies offering such a good deal, and haven't even heard of the better-value smaller companies offering such a good deal, it has me concerned there could be a catch somewhere. My current $35 / month unlimited Canada and US calling, and international texting is already a great deal, and I've had it  for probably around 10 years. If I make the switch and get screwed, and no longer have my current $35 / month plan, that'd suck royally. So long as Freedom Mobile doesn't take away my current plan, I'd probably never have a reason to leave it. But for a $10 monthly discount and 1,000 free international minutes per month, it's a tempting offer.

What do you think? And anyone hear of an offer like this from the big 3 Canadian telecoms?

Is it a two-year contract? If it's just month to month, there's nothing stopping them from changing the price on you as far as I know. Because there's no signed agreement both parties are bound to that monthly rate. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

12 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Is it a two-year contract? If it's just month to month, there's nothing stopping them from changing the price on you as far as I know. Because there's no signed agreement both parties are bound to that monthly rate. 

It's a monthly plan, no long-term contract. Same as what I've had for the past ~10 years with Freedom. They've never tried to take anything away or increase the price. They've only offered additional bonus at select occasions, like an additional 0.5 GB of uncapped-speed data.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

14 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Telus offered something like that once, and they changed the price after 12 months. So no don't expect the price to stay the same.

Rogers never changed the price on me for years off contract, where as Telus does on a whim. So don't trust it.

27 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Telus offered something like that once, and they changed the price after 12 months. So no don't expect the price to stay the same.

Rogers never changed the price on me for years off contract, where as Telus does on a whim. So don't trust it.

It's Telus offering me this deal now. Good to know. Then I won't accept it when the salesperson calls me back today, as he agreed to. Thanks!

The guy called back and insisted the price would never change on me, and said I could switch and have 14 days to decide whether I wanted to keep the deal. I told him I just don't want to risk losing what I have now. He assured me the price would never change so long as I don't cancel the deal, and that I could verify that in the mailed plan details I'll get if I go with the deal. I said, even though the offer sounds incredible, Telus isn't known for incredible plans and doesn't have the best reputation, and I'm just not willing to risk losing what I currently have. He was a bit frustrated and disappointed.

I would call Telus back on their number and ask if the offer was legitimate.  I never agree to anything that is offered to me in an unsolicited, unexpected call as it is too easy for it to be a scam by a bad actor.

Current Personal Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Corsair H60 AIO   MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (2x16)  GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming  PSU: EVGA 750GQ Semi-Modular  Storage: 500 GB WD Black M.2 NVMe + 1 TB 2.5" SSD  WiFi: TP-Link Archer TX3000E  Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mini  Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired  Monitor: Gigabyte G27FC 27"

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

The guy called back and insisted the price would never change on me, and said I could switch and have 14 days to decide whether I wanted to keep the deal. I told him I just don't want to risk losing what I have now. He assured me the price would never change so long as I don't cancel the deal, and that I could verify that in the mailed plan details I'll get if I go with the deal. I said, even though the offer sounds incredible, Telus isn't known for incredible plans and doesn't have the best reputation, and I'm just not willing to risk losing what I currently have. He was a bit frustrated and disappointed.

Well hopefully you dont feel bad about it, because well
you shouldnt. you did what you wanted to do