i3 12100 for streaming

Go to solution Solved by Commander_Dork,

btw i decided to just try it out and it ran smooth as butter and I had zero issues running it on the i3 12100 alone

Hey, probably an unusual find on a tech forum predominantly for gamers, anyhow I run a sound booth and we stream meetings and services live on YouTube. We were using a Mac with like an i7 6700 and it just could not handle streaming at ALL not to mention it was expected to run 3 displays and playback the video for preview. All the time every core was full load and throttling too due to the mac's poor thermals. I recently swapped from a desktop to a laptop and gave my desktop to use in the sound booth. It's running an i5 12600k which obviously is enough and it barely peaks 15% usage. I have an i3 12100 though sitting on my shelf and wondered if it would be enough to run the streaming setup. (I have a dedicated GPU in the build as well) I get mixed results online, when I research and usually the question is asked in the context of gaming resulting in the answer "no". I was hoping someone with experience streaming or understanding the limitations of the i3 12100 might be able to assist. We only stream 1080p 60FPS. My plan is to sell the i5 12600k if possible and purchase an elgato capture card to help with the video processing.

Thank you for the assist!

If you just want to stream meetings the i3 would be enough but barely, if you think u will need more in the future maybe a higher resolution or something you better keep the i5 or at least get an i5 12400f as it would be cheaper and wouldn't need external cooling 

2 hours ago, DarkD said:

If you just want to stream meetings the i3 would be enough but barely, if you think u will need more in the future maybe a higher resolution or something you better keep the i5 or at least get an i5 12400f as it would be cheaper and wouldn't need external cooling 

I did notice that when using my gpu as well it cuts the usage down to like 5% and the gpu is taking up to 775 for video encoding... do you think in the instance where the encoding is being offloaded it allows for a weaker cpu?

btw i decided to just try it out and it ran smooth as butter and I had zero issues running it on the i3 12100 alone