Boots to windows but can't get to BIOS.

j_spacebar

Exactly what the title says.  I'm building a PC for a friend and it will boot just fine to windows but will not let me into the BIOS to adjust fan curves/set XMP.

System Specs:

-Ryzen 5 2600x

-2x8 XPG D35 3200mhz

-MSI B550M PRO-VC WiFi

-Aorus RX 580 (using as a placeholder for now)

When I start the system with a drive that has windows already on it, it boots into the OS like it should.  When I try to access BIOS, however, the boot LED on the motherboard will stay illuminated and I get no signal on the monitor.  This is the case regardless of whether I spam F2/Delete or just boot the system with no drives connected.  Any thoughts? 

If your GPU has an alternative output port (HDMI / DP or vice versa) try the other one.

Sometimes this can happen on certain configurations, while one goes blank for the boot sequence until windows, you can switch to the alternative for hopefully a different result. I've had to do this a couple times over the years. DP is blank, went to HDMI, and vice versa on another config.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

12 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

If your GPU has an alternative output port (HDMI / DP or vice versa) try the other one.

Sometimes this can happen on certain configurations, while one goes blank for the boot sequence until windows, you can switch to the alternative for hopefully a different result. I've had to do this a couple times over the years. DP is blank, went to HDMI, and vice versa on another config.

If this doesn't work maybe clearing cmos could help? If nothing else it certainly can't hurt to try.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

2 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

If this doesn't work maybe clearing cmos could help? If nothing else it certainly can't hurt to try.

It's not a bios option it's part of how the GPU initializes itself based on it's own VBios rules.
I've had a Nvidia GPU do this, while the same GPU from another maker didn't do it. (2 separate GTX1060)
It's gotta be done via output ports of the GPU (as far as I can tell)

So i don't want you to reset bios for no reason...but if you want to anyway... that's still up to you but I don't think it'll do anything.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Just now, SkilledRebuilds said:

It's not a bios option it's part of how the GPU initializes itself based on it's own VBios rules.
I've had a Nvidia GPU do this, while the same GPU from another maker didn't do it. (2 separate GTX1060)
It's gotta be done via output ports of the GPU (as far as I can tell)

So i don't want you to reset bios for no reason...but if you want to anyway... that's still up to you but I don't think it'll do anything.

As it seems they can't get into bios to do the initial changes I don't think it would hurt anything, but I have also not ran into this issue myself before. My rationale was bios no work? Clear cmos since its quick and easy then if that doesn't work further research issue.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Force a bios update. Theres a bunch of videos and msi even has a tutorial site for it.

Thank you guys.  It ended up being that the B550M board I was using didn't support 2000 series Ryzen chips.  Not sure why it would let me into Windows, but I swapped to a 3600 and it's working perfectly.